Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Tracybuz

What do you say?

No don't have a very big wardrobe, thats the problem, legs fall out the doors. LOL

Do you know? I was thinking about this last night (had nothing better to do :blush: ) and, as my legs are both AK size, my idea of eight legs would be very much larger than yours wouldn't it, Ann? :biggrin:

Eight is still a ot of legs, though ... :ph34r:

No don't have a very big wardrobe, thats the problem, legs fall out the doors. LOL

Do you know? I was thinking about this last night (had nothing better to do :blush: ) and, as my legs are both AK size, my idea of eight legs would be very much larger than yours wouldn't it, Ann? :biggrin:

Eight is still a ot of legs, though ... :ph34r:

probably although about half of them are more or less full length size.

I have just counted and currently have 8. Although only actually wearing two of them.

Really? :rolleyes:

Btw, how come you've got eight, Ann? Don't they take them off you when they condemn them? :unsure: I wouldn't have room for eight adult sized legs, as my place is very bijou ... I'd have to start making furniture out of them! :blink:

That's interesting Lizz - whenever I change legs (not too often thank the Lord for small mercies in this case), my CP insists that I take them home. Something to do with legal issues??? He will NEVER keep anything, broken, condemned or otherwise.

Marcia - I say almost the same thing as you............"Yes I have 2 legs, but one of them is EXPENSIVE". :glare:

That's interesting Lizz - whenever I change legs (not too often thank the Lord for small mercies in this case), my CP insists that I take them home. Something to do with legal issues??? He will NEVER keep anything, broken, condemned or otherwise.

It's because we're in the UK, Ally - if it's an NHS limb, we sign something to say that we won't do anything awful to the limb and that we'll give them back when we die. Why they want them then, I have no idea ... ? :wacko:

It's because we're in the UK, Ally - if it's an NHS limb, we sign something to say that we won't do anything awful to the limb and that we'll give them back when we die. Why they want them then, I have no idea ... ? :wacko:

Mmmm, ok, do you think they may refurbish them and send them off to poor folk? If so, fabulous. Too many amps sit with useable bits & pieces in their cupboards.

:smile:

Mmmm, ok, do you think they may refurbish them and send them off to poor folk? If so, fabulous. Too many amps sit with useable bits & pieces in their cupboards.

Mine would be absolutely no use to anyone, as I wear them into the ground. :blush: But, yes, I think someone does send them to those less fortunate.

Goodness do we really Lizzie, don't remember signing anything to say that, better tell hubby or write it into my Will. LOL. What used to happen was when they made a new one they took the older one back, but haven't been asked this in ages.

But, yes, I think someone does send them to those less fortunate. - Get your point <grin> and message received, but perhaps I better offer them back to the NHS first, not sure what they do with them though.

Goodness do we really Lizzie, don't remember signing anything to say that, better tell hubby or write it into my Will. LOL. What used to happen was when they made a new one they took the older one back, but haven't been asked this in ages.

But, yes, I think someone does send them to those less fortunate. - Get your point <grin> and message received, but perhaps I better offer them back to the NHS first, not sure what they do with them though.

Yes, when we're issued with a new limb we signed a disclaimer/contract. It's just that they revamp our legs so often, so we don't need to sign a contract very often. I think the contracts were introduced in the 1980's? :unsure:

Well ... the last time I spoke to a prosthetist about this, they said that the ideal is that they forward them on to someone who could make use of them, but that in practice they (the NHS, I suppose?) didn't tend to do it because of the fact that they had been used before and therefore they weren't necessarily safe. I think I expressed to them how awful that was & so why did they make a fuss about having the legs returned to them. :blink:

Well ... the last time I spoke to a prosthetist about this, they said that the ideal is that they forward them on to someone who could make use of them, but that in practice they (the NHS, I suppose?) didn't tend to do it because of the fact that they had been used before and therefore they weren't necessarily safe. I think I expressed to them how awful that was & so why did they make a fuss about having the legs returned to them. :blink:

I can see why they (being the professional bunch) are hesitant to pass them on when they are used. However, had I not been able to get my hands on a THIRD GENERATION Total Knee, I would probably still be on crutches. It served me for years.....until my CP dragged me kicking and screaming into the sea!! :glare:

I would happily pay a nominal fee for a used part, sign a disclaimer if need be, and be mobile.

My CP doesn't sell used bits, but he certainly puts various amps in contact with eachother when they have bits to part with. It keeps a lot of people walking, especially where I am.

There are some very kind people (you know who you are) who have sent bits to me.....and there are some VERY grateful people in Africa walking because of this, and ONLY because of this. Safe or not.....(generally they are fine fine fine).

Eish, I think I just hijacked this thread.....sorry....... :unsure: Didn't mean to ramble off track.....

Eish, I think I just hijacked this thread.....sorry....... :unsure: Didn't mean to ramble off track.....

(Sorry, Johnny & the mods :blush: )

You hijack the thread as much as you want, Ally - I think it's really important to 'recycle' the components & I feel exactly the same way as you.

We were standing in line at the grocery store (I wasn't wearing my leg and was using crutches) the couple behind us was staring a me for some time and whispering between themselves. Finally, the lady had enough courage to ask, "Oh you poor thing, how did you lose your leg?" Before I could respond, my friend quipped "IN A POKER GAME!" That poor woman blushed so badly, I felt sorry for her. She never did get a true answer.

We were standing in line at the grocery store (I wasn't wearing my leg and was using crutches) the couple behind us was staring a me for some time and whispering between themselves. Finally, the lady had enough courage to ask, "Oh you poor thing, how did you lose your leg?" Before I could respond, my friend quipped "IN A POKER GAME!" That poor woman blushed so badly, I felt sorry for her. She never did get a true answer.

Loved your friends quick response Tamara.

Must admit 'oh your poor thing' comments by strangers, I think are the worst, but it never ceases to amaze me how nosey some people are.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Too funny! I must remember that one..................

:tongue:

I used to teach elementary school and my second week teaching one of my students asked where I got my "robot leg". I told him that I was actually a robot and not only did I have a robot leg, but also eyes in the back of my head, so he better behave himself. I did not realize that any of them had actually believed me until a new student came into the class a few weeks later. As soon as she sat down my other students told her very seriously that Ms. DeLano was a robot! I laughed so hard I almost started crying and then told them that I was actually an amputee. The name "robot leg" stuck though. :smile:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Too funny! I must remember that one..................

:tongue:

OMG - I LOVE IT!

It depends on the situation and who it is. My favorite is when they say " How did you lose your leg?" and I reply " I don't know, I have traced my steps, but if you find it here's my number".

These I use on people I know a bit better.

"How's your leg?". " What leg?"

" How's your leg?" What am I a Freeeegin Salamander or what? They don't just grow back!!!!!

" How's your leg?" "Well after they cut it off, the Pathologists did a biopsy, the med students had their turn hacking away at it, then it was thrown in the incenerator. Got any other brilliant questions for me?"

I will be using this for sure!!!! :laugh: ROFL

"How's your leg?" "Well after they cut it off, the Pathologists did a biopsy, the med students had their turn hacking away at it, then it was thrown in the incenerator. Got any other brilliant questions for me?"

"So you were in a car accident?"

"Yeah, I used to have a lead foot and now I have a plastic one." ;) "I was gonna sue but I didn't have a leg to stand on."

Sorry not a Trekki.

The only Borg I knew was a hell of a tennis player however.

CaptainKB........and my name is Kirk, you would think I'd be a Trekkie.

I was asked by a total stranger i was talking to last week while waiting for a train. Just told him i had my leg amputated after a accident, and the look on his face said it all.

Hi,

I just read your post and I laughed because I know the expression on the face. Also, people seem to stumble and stutter after I say I am an amputee, but I do not know any way to say it gently. I usually tell them I am an amputee when I see they are trying to figure out why my leg is so skinny. :ohmy:

Peace, Beth Marie

Its happened to me two days running now !

Yesterday a customer came into work and said he hoped my leg got 'better' before my skiing holiday !! He knew I was going skiing but didn't know I was am amputee!

And then today I was at the hospital for a scan and the nurse who came to collect me and walk me through to the scanning room said 'Well I can see what we're scanning with you' not realising that the leg she was looking at was my amputated one........................and I was there to actually have the other one scanned !!!

Its happened to me two days running now !

Yesterday a customer came into work and said he hoped my leg got 'better' before my skiing holiday !! He knew I was going skiing but didn't know I was am amputee!

And then today I was at the hospital for a scan and the nurse who came to collect me and walk me through to the scanning room said 'Well I can see what we're scanning with you' not realising that the leg she was looking at was my amputated one........................and I was there to actually have the other one scanned !!!

Makes you wonder if you went in for surgery that they would operate on the correct one!! LMAO :biggrin: