Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Tamara

Feeling a change in the weather!

I know people with arthritic joints can "feel" changes in the weather, but I didn't think it happened to us! I only really experienced phantom limb pain right after my amputation almost 5 years ago, but never since. Recently, after a long stretch of dry weather changes to rain, I start to get sensations in my residual limb. It isn't really what one would call pain but if feels like my non-existent knee is "cold" or "stiff". This occurs only when wearing my leg and although removing my prosthesis helps, I don't want to be limited to only using crutches. Any thoughts on this?

I will often be able to tell if a rain or snow is coming.. My residual limb will have the sensation that you feel if you scald yourself with hot water... That burning sort of feeling.. It will remain until the rain or snow passes through my region..It has lasted for up to 4 days before.

When I had my accident, my foot was severed, re-attached, and then amputated a few days later.

They say that the amount of pain you had has a lot to do with phantom sensation..that, and barometric pressure.

I can't really speak for anyone else about this, I just know how it feels to me..I do know that others on here experience the same sorts of things though.

Living in sunny SoCal, I don't have to face many major weather changes... but either very hot or very cold weather can make me somewhat uncomfortable. More so with cold... my stump develops a sort of "deep-freeze" feeling and, when I remove my leg, my stump does, indeed, feel colder than usual. (And it usually feels pretty darn cold!)

I can't usually "predict" the weather, but I surely do "respond" to it!

I have to agree with Higgy -living where you have all 4 seasons definitely puts you in a place where your limb can feel the weather changes, at least I can. Especially when we have major weather systems coming through, rain,snow,etc...it hurts. Not much you can do except just not be surprised by it I guess. I take some tylenol once in a while and that's about it:) It's not your imagination if you live in a climate where you have the different seasons...

Hi Tamara, I have been an amputee going on 13yrs and I too live where there is four seasons, well suppose to be, :wink:

You know at first I couldn't imagine what was going on with me, every time the weather changed, mostly before a rain/thunder shower or snowstorms. For me, it was so bad I had to take the limb off b/c it would start to make me sick to my stomach. It felt like my leg was in a vise and getting tighter and tighter on me, not very pleasant and the pain was awful.

However, I've since learned how to better cope and not let it frighten me so. I think with no one telling me these things can happen, I'd panic and no doubt making the situation worse. Though, not a severe, I still go through it when the weather changes (barometric pressure). However, I know now to try and keep myself as calm as possible and the tightness does eventually let up some. So I'd say the best thing to do is try to relax when/if the situation occurs.

I hope this helped some and it may take time, but I'm sure eventually you'll learn different ways to cope, as did I, so that it doesn't bother you quite so much.

Good Luck,

Sheila :smile:

lbk-Maine, USA

Hi Tamara,

I too notice weather changes--mostly my leg feels swollen and the prosthesis feels really tigh and get a mild electricity sensation comi9ng from the stump. It mostly with co0ld damp weather. Of course living here i9n Saskatoon we are in a desert climate so it is easy to live with. However, today after I put on my leg and later took off the prosthesis of, but not the liner so I could go back to bed--my older black Lab, Emma, has taken to getting once or twice a night. About six or so this mild electrical energy was coming from the end of my stump and I had no idea why.That was until I got up in the daylight and saw the fog and hoar frost everywhere--then I knew.

Have a great day, Beth Marie

Hi Tamara

I get the same. It's the change of air pressure that happens with weather fronts. I also get an increase in them when there's a thunder storn, when I'm near power cables and, I noticed recently, when I'm near mobile (cell) phone repeater stations (glad I don't live near one!).

If you get the same then something like Farabloc or Relax should help you. :smile:

Well has anyone thought about a whirlpool tub?? If you are going to upgrade a bathroom in the near future, you may want to consider this option? I bought myself a hot tub and when they get over40% I'll jump in for 30-45 minutes. But a whirlpool tub work work even better because you don't have to go outside. I enjoy my hot tub (when friends come over) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: What else can I say!!! Jerry

P.S. Whirlpool tubs are a lot cheaper too.......

Seeing as to how I just had my BKA last Monday I really haven't had very much pain at all until last night when we had a front come in and it has started raining. Pain has really been bad today.

Most of your Phantom pain should go away when you start using a prosthesis. I get an occasional zinger with weather change or telling me that I've overdone things.

Ed, I'm with you on the rain yesterday! I don't think there's enough medication made to get me through the weather changes. :mad: I used to look forward to our summer showers cooling things down a little. Now, I dread them!

Bryan

Well.

I'm going to tell you after 27 years.. they will subside.. weather changes will still remind you. But that's OK... Live life to the fullest... It's only a setback..... Jerry