Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
benc

AK Karting

Have any AK's been Karting in a Normal kart? Im supposed to be going on the weekend but havent worked out if it is possible to do yet.

As im a left ak i will be using my prosthetic to work the brake, i know its going to be hard but not impossible. i would be grateful for any suggestions, the best my friends came up with was just not to brake!

I'm also LAK, I went Karting a couple of months ago for the first time. The tricks I found were:

1. Don't break ,it's soo much fun going into a corner flat out with the back end sliding all over the place. Besides it won't hurt too much if you spin out and hitt the tyres.

2. If you'd prefer to slow down (or you don't want to hit the driver in front that braked for no reason) then position your foot so that you just need to push on the top of your knee to operate the pedal.

I had more fun that day than I ever did when Karting before I lost my leg.

Can't help I'm afraid, but it's something I've always wondered, although I'm a RAK so not so good...

There are one or two converted karts out there at some places (hand controls) I've found on the internet, but not enough I think...

Sigh, like OBL, I have also wondered about that - sounds like such fun!

Seriously, DO IT.

I avoided it for so long worried about how I'd manage it but it really is so easy. the steering on a kart is so light that you only need one hand on the wheel which leaves your other hand free to work the brake by putting preasure on your knee joint.

I kept quiet about my leg for the first race and because I went with a large group it was difficult for the staff to notice me getting in to the Kart. After the first lap I was off, I was racing with a bunch of 20 or so moto X riders so we were RACING, 20 blokes doing everything they could to overtake, block or if we had to run the opposition off the track.

After the first race I came clean about my leg and the staff had no problem with it at all.

The only thing you will find is that you won't have much fine control of the brakes, it's either full on or nothing but that is just a case of adjusting your driving style to suit.

Thanks for the tips, now i know its been done i have to try it so ill be there on sunday :smile:

I think ill just hit the person in front of me and let them brake for me, if they happen to crash so be it :tongue: im sure my mates wont be playing fair anyway lol.

Well ive been and didnt come last! second to last is good enough for me. Im surprised it was easier than i thought it would be, i positioned my leg on the peddle on pushed down with my leg and when i needed a bit more power i used one hand to push down on my leg and it all worked fine.

There was a few hairy moments though when i went to brake and found my foot had bounced off the peddle! I had a great time there and recommend you try it if you get the chance.

Whoooohoooooooo..................good for you!!!!

:biggrin: