Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
coues

Phantom limb pains

What do you do to relieve the pains? Im on several meds that just take

the edge off. Top it all off I am being weaned from the 4 drugs so I am going through

withdrawls. Double whammy!

My pain feels like I am getting hit with a tazer every few minutes.

coues

Derrick

the edge off. Top it all off I am being weaned from the 4 drugs so I am going through

coues

Derrick

Probably everyone is different regards phantom pains Derrick. Having been an amputee for quite a long time, those Tazer type pains would only occurr very occassionaly, and usually for no apparrent reason, and must admit they are horrible, had a spell of them some yrs ago when I had a problem with my stump and wasn't walking, didn't find the painkillers I was given made much difference, they did stop for me though when my life got more back to normal.

At the moment, though having just had a revision on one side, which I think looks like a couple of months before you had your amp, but from where I am now, if I think back a couple of months was still getting fair bit of pain at that stage, especially when I first started walking, so not sure if thats where you are now, but mine have gradually lessened as the months are going by. For me probably lots of different things seem to help. Main one - distraction, have found they have always been worse later in the day when I wind down, so anything really, watching TV, computer, music etc etc. Also if I take the prosthesis off during the day, I put on the shrinker sock and as a b/k trying not to let the stump just hang down too long, that helps a bit, plus keeping it warm, exercises too help with the circulation, massage, warm baths, and at Night wearing a RELAX night sock, keeping hydrated, and sometimes a painkiller. Sounds a bit like a full-time job, doesn't it, but I just try whatever works for me. You will probably find quite a bit of info about phantom pains if you look through on this forum, and different things tend to work for different people, and also that people experience different types of pain at different times.

Good luck with the withdrawals, hope things get better as you go forward.

Ann

You will probably find quite a bit of info about phantom pains if you look through on this forum, and different things tend to work for different people, and also that people experience different types of pain at different times.

Good luck with the withdrawals, hope things get better as you go forward.

Ann

I am with Ann. There is no "global" pain med that works for all of us. I believe it's hit-and-miss with meds or alternative therapies.

It took me 10 years to find something to soothe my PLP. And then (go figure) they started to go away!!!!!!!!! Only have them badly a couple of times a year now.

Good luck. Find a good pain-doc to work through this with you.

Ally

x

Thank You,

I hope to get to a point where I am off the pain meds, to have the phantom pains managed.

I started accupuncture, so I hope it will help.

When the pains are at their worst I just get cranky and cant seem to get things on right lol.

It been suggested that I get some help through biofeedback and hynotism. I am not so sure about these? Any thoughts?

I have been told that the worse the trauma the worse the pain , that it may or may not ever end.

Thank You all

Derrick

First of all, make sure your pain meds don't cause water retention, Derrick. Also make sure that you're diet is rich in all the vitamins and minerals you need (e.g. vit B complex is supposed to be good for healthy nerves) ... but, don't take too much. If you're smoking or drinking heaviliy, that will have an effect. And, make sure that any medical/ postural (e.g. your back) condition you have is stabilized.

Then, when you've done all that, make sure you're leg(s) is fitting well, and then you should look at the alternative therapies such as acupuncture, Farabloc/Relax, mirror therapy.

There's a method in my madness btw ~ the problem has quite a few factors and often correcting just one thing can make the world of difference. :smile:

Hi Derrick, as others have said there is rymne or reason to PLP, I am suffering big time at the moment. The worst attacks I have had in years. I am back on Amitripyline which is a real knock out drug, talk about Zombified.

I try to use EFT (Emotional Freedom Theropy) for distraction which I find helps. I also use Arnica and Austrailian Bush flower essence. If anyone has an answer to this dreadful ailment I would love to be shared with it! :smile:

As being a new amputee for about 3 weeks ( below the knee on the right leg ) i didn't start having phantom pains till last week & oh man what a wake up call they are what all you have said on here and maybe more . I thought before my injury a year or so ago working at my main job working with plate steel & my other job as A Firefighter i thought i felt all the pains there could be with those jobs but nothing compares to phantom pains i know some people say it is differant person to person but i'm still on 1 pain med just to help with just having the amputation but that doesn't even touch it , i just wait it out till they go away which sometimes they last only a few mins to off and on all day & thanks to all of you on here this is a great site to find answers & learn things from people who know what i mean & to just say hi

As being a new amputee for about 3 weeks ( below the knee on the right leg ) i didn't start having phantom pains till last week & oh man what a wake up call they are what all you have said on here and maybe more . I thought before my injury a year or so ago working at my main job working with plate steel & my other job as A Firefighter i thought i felt all the pains there could be with those jobs but nothing compares to phantom pains i know some people say it is differant person to person but i'm still on 1 pain med just to help with just having the amputation but that doesn't even touch it , i just wait it out till they go away which sometimes they last only a few mins to off and on all day & thanks to all of you on here this is a great site to find answers & learn things from people who know what i mean & to just say hi

Yes, mine kicked in when I started moving around and doing more JL. I am about six months down the line now and more or less gone most of the time, so stick with it and hopefully yours will improve soon too.

Ann

Yes, mine kicked in when I started moving around and doing more JL. I am about six months down the line now and more or less gone most of the time, so stick with it and hopefully yours will improve soon too.

Ann

Thanks Ann for your reponse i just got to wait the pains out maybe the phantom pains will slow down as time goes on

1/27/09 due to an aneurysm resulting in an aortic dissection. Way too long on a heart lung machine (12hrs) equated to a dead right leg. First surgery was BK, second was AK. 32 days in the hospital

My attitude is great and I'm happy to be alive and enjoy my family and friends. My only issue right now is brutal phantom pain worsens in the evening.

I am getting a C-Leg and will begin walking soon. I have been told the phantom pain lessens whilst walking. At this time I take Gabapentin and it only takes the edge off. I use the hot tub and it helps a bit. I am currently experimenting with mirror therapy and although skeptical, it does seem to help by fooling the brain a bit. I have 3 more weeks for that treatment. It's pretty cheap you can buy a $25 dollar mirror 4" x 2" or just do what I did, take one off the wall. 15 min per day 5 days a week.

My phantom pain is usually pins and needles on my old arch and rarely on my old shin. Sometimes the sensation I feel is as if scolding water was spilled on my foot.

Sunday I was skiing and Monday I was on a helicopter to the OR. You just never know when something tragic happens, it's just how we come out of it that counts. Attitude is everything. Choose your attitude.

Glad to be here!

Captain

post-2495-1238873765_thumb.jpg