Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Tamara

Attitudes about "Handicapped Parking"

The other thread post about "What do you say?" reminded me of an incident not too long ago. I usually wear my leg when running errands or shopping etc. and I pride myself on being able to walk with almost no limp in my stride. I do have a "handicapped" placard for my truck and I have often used the handicapped parking stalls if available. Well, not too long ago I was confronted by someone who didn't believe I had a disability. After showing them that I did indeed have a prosthetic leg, they apologized and seemed suprised in my walking ability. However, afterwards I really felt embarassed for using those parking stalls when I could walk in a relatively normal, although not always easy, way.

So, here is my question. Was it wrong for me to use handicapped parking when wearing my leg? Should I only use the handicapped parking stalls for the occasions when I am using crutches instead?

No you are very lucky to get a handicapped parking space in the first place.

But I know how you feel, I often go walking from a small village called Alwinton it has a pay and display machine in the car park, if you have a blue badge it’s free.

Well I always feel a bit guilty not paying, especially as I normally put on my boots grab my rucksack and disappear into the hills for a day, waving at the ranger who is checking that “normal people” have paid.

To make matters worse i sometimes bump into him and will often talk about what route i done or will be doing.

i look at it as one of the few "perks" that i get for not having my leg.

take care....................... mick

The other thread post about "What do you say?" reminded me of an incident not too long ago. I usually wear my leg when running errands or shopping etc. and I pride myself on being able to walk with almost no limp in my stride. I do have a "handicapped" placard for my truck and I have often used the handicapped parking stalls if available. Well, not too long ago I was confronted by someone who didn't believe I had a disability. After showing them that I did indeed have a prosthetic leg, they apologized and seemed suprised in my walking ability. However, afterwards I really felt embarassed for using those parking stalls when I could walk in a relatively normal, although not always easy, way.

So, here is my question. Was it wrong for me to use handicapped parking when wearing my leg? Should I only use the handicapped parking stalls for the occasions when I am using crutches instead?

Course it wasn't wrong for you to park there Tamara.

I think that comes a bit with the territory of being young and having a disability, some people just don't expect young people to be parking in spaces for disabled people especially if they don't see anything obvious like a wheelchair etc., plus some people are just very nosey.

No, No and again, EMPHATICALLY no!

When I am in a bad mood, I just say "sorry I didn't wear my disabled sign on my forehead for YOU to see!"

:glare:

I think it's wrong if I'm having a good day and there are normal parking spaces nearby then I would leave the disabled bays for others more needy. I always take into account my ability compared to those much less able. These parking permissions are given based on need, if we don't need it we shouldn't use it.

If this were a wheelchair centric forum for instance, we'd all be complaining about 'just amputees' using 'our' parking spaces... it's just about being considerate. If there are loads of spare disabled bays then fine, but each case is different.

I use these spaces on occasion for access... as they are wider; if someone parks too close to me after I've parked it can make it impossible for me to get in the car.

I think it's wrong if I'm having a good day and there are normal parking spaces nearby .....................

Yip agreed......but these disabled parking spaces ARE for us, and if we need to use them, we should NOT feel bad!

I have a blue badge and use it!!!

I find that getting out of my car is almost impossible if parked in a 'normal' space with another car parked beside me.

The thing that really bugs me is the people who park in the spaces who don't have a badge and are just too lazy and don't see anything wrong in wizzing into a disabled space in the supermarket just because its closer to the door.........and then you get the people who look at you when you park there and you can see them thinking 'whats wrong with her'.......and then the other day we parked in my husbands car, which is quite a nice car, and he heard some one say 'call that disabled?'

Please dont get me started I could go on and on and on and on and on and on!!!!!

No amputee is denied a handicapped parking placard in the USA.

I only use mine if no other nearby space is available. I also walk with no apparent disability on a good day. No one has ever confronted me for parking in a space. There are times when I can start experiencing trouble while shopping at WalMart or Lowe's. I will usually try to get as close as I can without using a handicapped space, but I will use them otherwise.

Do Not feel that they are for those more in need. We never know when we might start having extreme pain.

I think it's wrong if I'm having a good day and there are normal parking spaces nearby then I would leave the disabled bays for others more needy. I always take into account my ability compared to those much less able. These parking permissions are given based on need, if we don't need it we shouldn't use it.

If this were a wheelchair centric forum for instance, we'd all be complaining about 'just amputees' using 'our' parking spaces... it's just about being considerate. If there are loads of spare disabled bays then fine, but each case is different.

I use these spaces on occasion for access... as they are wider; if someone parks too close to me after I've parked it can make it impossible for me to get in the car.

Yep, but you could argue that, apart from the space issue, its actually often easier to cover distance in a wheelchair than it is on some occassions, for amputees to walk. But agree the lack of space makes it very difficult if you need to access the wheelchair straight from the car seat, and I found this following the revision and have to say hospital car parks were the worst, not nearly enough disabled bays, sometimes not enough parking places full stop, however, lack of space is also an issue sometimes even if you are walking and having difficulty bending your leg or trying to get out the car door.

Granted, like you say, if I was walking ok I wouldn't bother with the disabled bays, and actually I was an amputee probably for about 20 yrs before I even bothered to get a parking badge.

I think it's just a matter of common sense. We all know our limits and how we're feeling at a given moment... if we're feeling/walking well, and we're only going out for a short while, then using a "regular" parking space might be perfectly reasonable: if it's a "bad leg day," or we're going to be making several long treks in the course of the day, or maybe we intend to walk all of Wal-Mart... then grab a handicapped space if at all possible!

Whichever choice you make, you're the one who knows your condition and circumstances. Don't ever feel guilty about doing what you need in order to preserve your energy!

No it was not wrong for you to use you handicapped placard. I don't use the spot if there is a regular one nearby or if I am having a "good" leg day. If I am having a "bad" leg day you bet I use it. I ripped off my leg and showed it to one sanctimonious so-and-so when she told me I was much to young o have a handicapped placard and that I should leave it to older people who "really deserve it". It left her speechless.

JudyH

At the end of the day being an amputee is hard work, tiring and often painful. distance ability is not always assured and their is the potential for something to go wrong with your prosthetic at any given moment. Having started driving lessons I now know I will never be able to get in and out of the driver's door of a car is if I can ope the door the whole way, which is only assured in a disabled parking day. If government's didn't think we needed the spaces they wouldn't give amputees disabled badges. And to all of you who have been confronted when you're mean to said person, you shouldn't feel bad. Most of the time the behaviours people confront others about is thebehaviours they dont like in themselves. i.e. parking in disabled spots when they shouldn't.

Hehe, When I first started dating my girlfriend, I asked her if she wanted to park close to the movies... She was like ummm, NO! She made me park on the far side of the parking lot because, "I want to fit into that bikini this summer." Lol, so much for the close parking perk! =P

Call me stubborn, but I won't park in such a parking space unless I physically cannot wear my leg. In fact, the only reason that I even carry a handicapped parking placard is so that I can pick arguments with perfectly able-bodied people who like to park in those spots without such a placard. If they have a placard, I grumble but keep it to myself (even though I know that many who have them are abusing the system and don't need them) but if I see someone without a placard in such a spot and I'm in the mood, it's on.

Bonus points if I've been out running and still have my running leg on, because there's no mistaking that one for anything but a prosthetic. The local 7-11 store clerks actually warn people they see park in that spot about me. :-)

Question???

Do any f you think it is alright to put a note on a car if it is parked in a handicap spot and it has neither a plackard or a handicap licence plate. I know of someone that thinks it is his duty to warn offenders this way.

Question???

Do any f you think it is alright to put a note on a car if it is parked in a handicap spot and it has neither a plackard or a handicap licence plate. I know of someone that thinks it is his duty to warn offenders this way.

There's no law against it, and I've been known to leave notes on cars whose drivers parked them all stupid, especially in crowded parking lots and in ways that occupy or prevent the use of more than one parking space.

But then I've been accused of being confrontational by more than one person. :cool:

I've done it... I've even seen pads of "pre-printed" notes for sale! (Wish I could remember where... it was on-line..... :rolleyes: ) I have a friend in Texas who is part of a program through her local police department... they use disabled volunteers to patrol parking lots and cite people who have parked in disabled spaces illegally. A wonderfully empowering idea!

Even if I don't need to use a space, it irks me no end to see someone taking a space they're not entitled to... there are folks out there who DO need the space and ARE entitled to it.

I walk VERY well and on most days i don't actually need a Handicap parking space, but i live in California where they give out blue permits to obese people and anyone else with a slight limp so if you can even find a blue space to park in you're doing GOOD!! SO when ever I find an open blue space I'll park in it (given i don't see any other spaces near by), I consider it a perk of missing a leg.

Thanks for your replies. After reading your responses, I agree that I will now only use the H.C. spots on my "bad" days or when I'm using my crutches. Having said that, yesterday morning I had an "incident" that did some damage to my residual limb. (I still don't like the"stump" word). I tried wearing my leg, but it looks like I will be on crutches for the next few days. :sad:

I'm with you Tamara. I had never heard of anyone using the terms "stump" or "residual limb" until I joined this forum in '03. And I've been an amputee since '78! LOL! It's always been "my leg" whenever interacting with Dr's or prosthetists or anyone. So the first time I read the word "stump" I was floored. I envisioned myself growing bark. :wink:

Regarding when to use your handicap placard, use it whenever you feel like using it. You don't have to set rules for yourself. If you know you'll be running around all day (as I do at my work), then park closer. We have a finite number of steps in a day until we get sore; why waste them on parking a long distance away? Of course, this is coming from someone who used to tick her kids off because I'd intentionally park at the outter most slots when shopping. I personally base it off of what my leg feels like that day and how much walking I intend to do at my destination. I've ruined my leg at work before just to have to walk 3 blocks to get to my car afterwards. NO LONGER!

I'm with you Tamara. I had never heard of anyone using the terms "stump" or "residual limb" until I joined this forum in '03. And I've been an amputee since '78! LOL! It's always been "my leg" whenever interacting with Dr's or prosthetists or anyone. So the first time I read the word "stump" I was floored. I envisioned myself growing bark. :wink:

Regarding when to use your handicap placard, use it whenever you feel like using it. ... I've ruined my leg at work before just to have to walk 3 blocks to get to my car afterwards. NO LONGER!

Amy ~ I grew up with doctors/prosthetists calling my legs my stumps. To me they have always been legs and they always will be - they get me from A to B and they move like legs, so they are legs. :smile:

Also, I'm glad you mentioned ruining your leg by walking too much. No one likes to admit defeat, but I think it's more about being sensible. The damage you do to your body is individual and depends upon lots of things, including things like your back and what your other leg is like ... more ruining usually goes on with more abnormal gaits, so the effect would be worse on an AK than a BK and worse on a double than a single amp. The damage can also be cumulative and so your joints can age faster than non-amps. So, I hope you'll agree?, that all supports being sensible and using the disabled parking bays when you need to and not being a brave soldier. :wink:

Question???

I have to admit that I am an AVID note person.

I especially like "Disability can be arranged...."

And if there's no paper, and I only have a verbal chance to be mean.....then "you're tempting fate, my friend..." is a goodie too!

:laugh::laugh:

Question???

I often park my motorcycle in disabled parking spaces because I find that if I park in a regular M/C bay and another bike parks next to me then I cannot get onto my bike because I don't have the space I need. I accept that you can't see my disability when I'm wearing my leathers and I accept that most people don't expect someone who is disabled to be riding a motorcycle.

Anyway, one day I returned to my bike to see a guy walking away from it, as I got closer I saw a sticker on the fuel tank which read "Thanks for taking my parking space, would you like my disability too?". I caught up with the guy and asked him if he'd put the sticker on my bike. He proudly replied "Of course I did. You should be ashamed of yourself" then I asked him what his disability was. It turned out he wasn't disabled at all, but his wife was. However he figured that having a disabled wife at home (she hadn't joined him on this shopping trip) entitled him not only to park in a disabled parking space (and I quote "because the shopping I'm doing is for her benefit") but to have a go at other people who genuinely need the spaces but are choosing to use a vehicle that doesn't have anywhere to leave a disabled badge on display.

So, just be sure that the vehicle you leave the note on is actually not supposed to be there. Motorcycles, topless cars or even trikes can all be ridden/ driven by disabled people but rarely hav somewhere to leave a badge on display.

I often park my motorcycle in disabled parking spaces because I find that if I park in a regular M/C bay and another bike parks next to me then I cannot get onto my bike because I don't have the space I need. I accept that you can't see my disability when I'm wearing my leathers and I accept that most people don't expect someone who is disabled to be riding a motorcycle.

So, just be sure that the vehicle you leave the note on is actually not supposed to be there. Motorcycles, topless cars or even trikes can all be ridden/ driven by disabled people but rarely hav somewhere to leave a badge on display.

Actually, Grum, to be perfectly honest with you, I'd have issues with finding a motorbike in a disabled parking bay. Can't you just park in a normal car parking bay and add a 'polite' message to other bikers, or possibly park in such a way that they can't park next to you? Or that, even if they do, you can still swing your leg over your bike?

At the moment, for various fitting reasons, I feel as though I'm crawling on concrete with my AK and both my hips and my knee are playing up. If I came across a motorbike in a disabled bay now, then I'd do something pretty drastic ... disabled sticker or no. :ph34r: And, my reasons, apart from me being more disabled than you? It's simply that I can't balance on a bike and, more importantly, that motorbikes are easier to park than cars. :rolleyes:

Btw, I'm not agreeing with that bloke who stuck something on your car - that's just sheer laziness.

Also, I'm glad you mentioned ruining your leg by walking too much. No one likes to admit defeat, but I think it's more about being sensible. The damage you do to your body is individual and depends upon lots of things, including things like your back and what your other leg is like ... more ruining usually goes on with more abnormal gaits, so the effect would be worse on an AK than a BK and worse on a double than a single amp. The damage can also be cumulative and so your joints can age faster than non-amps. So, I hope you'll agree?, that all supports being sensible and using the disabled parking bays when you need to and not being a brave soldier. :wink:

Exactly, no two amputees are the same with regard to what you mention above. Just because one amp can walk ten blocks at a fast pace doesn't mean we all can.

I especially like "Disability can be arranged...."

And if there's no paper, and I only have a verbal chance to be mean.....then "you're tempting fate, my friend..." is a goodie too!

:laugh::laugh:

Ally! :laugh: Your posts always make me chuckle!!!

My car has skydiver vanity plates, a scuba flag framing the rear vanity plate and a bike rack on top in the summer. I'm always self-conscience of how I'm being judged when I park in a handicapped space. :unsure: