Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Tamara

Attitudes about "Handicapped Parking"

While I want badly to say something to that person that freely walks from the vehicle after hanging the badge, I cannot know that persons situation.

Exactly! As I said before, I have skydiver plates, scuba diving frame around the plates, bike rack on top of the car and when my leg is feeling mighty fine, my gait is perfect. However, after running around for 10 + hours at work and walking back to my car, the closer it is located the better. I park close so that I do not use up "the number of steps I can take before I must pull out the crutches" in order to get through my workday with as little pain as possible. I'm tired of the pain. It's gotten old. I’ve paid my dues. If being closer will save me a bit of that, then "up yours" for judging me when you see me walking away from my car without a limp bad enough that you've deemed worthy of my parking there. (Not you personally, I'm referring to all who judge me)

I've been judged harshly and inaccurately most of my life (if she's a pregnant teenager, that can only mean she's a slut and a welfare bum <-- both very false, BTW) and so am sensitive to people's evil looks at me. I don't just let it roll off.

I do, however, park at the furthest handicapped slot so that people in un-motorized wheelchairs and with walkers will be that much closer. Because regardless of how extreme the pain is, I will walk whatever distance I need to get back to my car. What choice have I got? I just try to avoid putting myself in circumstances that I’ve learned will lead to the pain.

Some of my eary conclusions, which grant you may change over time, are that we cant police other with badges.

Oh, but you can in Texas! :biggrin: One of my online friends (who I think pops in here from time to time?) went on a course a year or so ago and she can now issue parking tickets. :cool:

Or, if you're elsewhere and you're feeling brave, you can challenge the person - workmen in vans and lorries are my favourites. :rolleyes: Seeing as disabled parking bays are so badly policed (in most place in the UK, anyway) there is nothing wrong in asking IMHO. I've been challenged several times.

I do, however, park at the furthest handicapped slot so that people in un-motorized wheelchairs and with walkers will be that much closer.

That's exactly what I do on a good day, Amy. :smile:

I do it because I have this odd notion that we should look after each other, and also because I hope that when I need that space (which isn't infrequently as I get older) someone else will have left it free for me.

While I want badly to say something to that person that freely walks from the vehicle after hanging the badge, I cannot know that persons situation.

Exactly! As I said before, I have skydiver plates, scuba diving frame around the plates, bike rack on top of the car and when my leg is feeling mighty fine, my gait is perfect. However, after running around for 10 + hours at work and walking back to my car, the closer it is located the better. I park close so that I do not use up "the number of steps I can take before I must pull out the crutches" in order to get through my workday with as little pain as possible. I'm tired of the pain. It's gotten old. I’ve paid my dues. If being closer will save me a bit of that, then "up yours" for judging me when you see me walking away from my car without a limp bad enough that you've deemed worthy of my parking there. (Not you personally, I'm referring to all who judge me)

I've been judged harshly and inaccurately most of my life (if she's a pregnant teenager, that can only mean she's a slut and a welfare bum <-- both very false, BTW) and so am sensitive to people's evil looks at me. I don't just let it roll off.

I do, however, park at the furthest handicapped slot so that people in un-motorized wheelchairs and with walkers will be that much closer. Because regardless of how extreme the pain is, I will walk whatever distance I need to get back to my car. What choice have I got? I just try to avoid putting myself in circumstances that I’ve learned will lead to the pain.

You wouldn't get a blue parking badge in the UK (unless you lie or bend the rules on the form). It's not about 'paying dues', it's about not having the choice.

If a space is taken by someone who wants to save a little discomfort, that stops someone who otherwise has to drive away, then it's wrong that that person has a badge in my opinion.

If everyone that wanted to just save using up "the number of steps I can take before I must pull out the crutches" could use these spaces, the people who don't have the choice would never be able to park.

The fact you could use crutches means you really don't need that space.

The more I've read of this thread, the less likely I am to park in these spaces.

I avoid them whenever possible.

My concience doesn't let me use them. Don't get me wrong, I would like the ability to, for when it's needed, but that's not often.

I've tried to stay away from this thread as long as I could :) As a bilateral below knee of less than 2 years who can walk and drive unaided...but never the less has her bad leg days...if I am just going into a restaurant or store quickly, I will park anywhere...if I know that I am going to spend alot of time in a store or mall or airport...I will park in the handicapped parking spaces if I can find one. I am not going to feel guilty about parking in the space, nor am I going to judge anyone else either in a car or a motorcycle who is parked there, unless I happen to know them and I see them and that has happened and they were very embarassed :) I just told them I saved them alot of money by saying something to them instead of a police officer giving them a ticket for $500 or so... the forum gives us all a right to say what we believe, hopefully respecting each other as we do so :)

never the less has her bad leg days...if I am just going into a restaurant or store quickly, I will park anywhere...if I know that I am going to spend alot of time in a store or mall or airport...I will park in the handicapped parking spaces if I can find one. I am not going to feel guilty about parking in the space, nor am I going to judge anyone else either in a car or a motorcycle who is parked there.

Agree with all that, I could have said it... only on a bad leg day though...

when you have 2 of them involved..chances are 1 of them is acting up :rolleyes: couldn't resist! Have a good one..

when you have 2 of them involved..chances are 1 of them is acting up :rolleyes: couldn't resist! Have a good one..

Message received and understood... :wink:

If a space is taken by someone who wants to save a little discomfort, that stops someone who otherwise has to drive away, then it's wrong that that person has a badge in my opinion.

If everyone that wanted to just save using up "the number of steps I can take before I must pull out the crutches" could use these spaces, the people who don't have the choice would never be able to park.

The fact you could use crutches means you really don't need that space.

The more I've read of this thread, the less likely I am to park in these spaces.

I avoid them whenever possible.

My concience doesn't let me use them. Don't get me wrong, I would like the ability to, for when it's needed, but that's not often.

One Blue Leg! :laugh: You are a nutty person. :biggrin: I swear you disagree for the sake of disagreeing. You push buttons for the sake of pushing buttons. A person in a wheelchair certainly has the option of parking in other slots just as I do. They can just keep searching further and further out until they find something accommodating. At work, I too have had to park a few blocks away and 'gimp' my way to work because all of the handicapped spots are taken outside my building (that's typically Wednesday through Friday; Monday and Tuesday I can get right behind my building). In addition, because I'm missing from one leg instead of two, I choose not to use a wheelchair but rather crutches. So Mr. Button Pusher :wink: are you now saying that all one legged amputees do not have a right to park in the handicap spaces? Because if you've got one good leg, then why is anyone in a wheelchair and therefore do not deserve a handicap placard. That is what you're implying, right? Or should I toss my crutches and buy a wheelchair to deem myself worthy? My point, we ALL have a choice to not use these spaces. Oh, and it's not a little discomfort. It’s teeth-clenching, tunnel vision causing, ‘just focus on getting to the car’ pain.

And like Flip, I never use the handicap slots at restaurants or stores. <-- I believe I’ve already said this earlier as well. If the pain is that bad, I don’t go to the store or restaurants.

DRATS! And it's because of people like you that I try so hard to bite my cheek and not reply; eventually not logging on at all to this site. Ah well, apparently I felt like diving in and getting myself attacked/judged.

I've tried to stay away from this thread as long as I could :) As a bilateral below knee of less than 2 years who can walk and drive unaided...but never the less has her bad leg days...if I am just going into a restaurant or store quickly, I will park anywhere...if I know that I am going to spend alot of time in a store or mall or airport...I will park in the handicapped parking spaces if I can find one. I am not going to feel guilty about parking in the space, nor am I going to judge anyone else either in a car or a motorcycle who is parked there

I'm with you Flip.

ahhh Amy....we are twins...you made me smile :biggrin: I tried so hard not to involved...I just had to...damn...everyone just do what you need to do to save any more pain...That is really hard on you to have to walk so far into work, and when that happens, it can ruin the rest of the day for you...Alot of us understand the teeth clenching, sucking in breath, screaming out loud, just get to the car...PAIN...Whew, now I feel better....... :wacko:

Flip

I have no problems with parking in a disabled bay. Or should say:-

I will have no problems parking if I can simply find an empty one.

i have found out in a very sort space of time in the UK they are not enforced, they rely on a voluntary system of policing, most shops don’t really care who uses them & only provide them because they have too.

I don’t even bother driving round to find one I simply park where there is a space.

I don’t care who uses them, and what mode of transport from piggy back / bike /car /buggy to horse & cart as long as It’s not someone using there grannies or auntie’s blue badge ect ect.

I won’t get involved in trying to name and shame any abuser simply because it’s a battle that in this day and age of me me me I simply wont win ,

However if the law was changed I would have no hesitation to name and shame, but till then I will divert my energy to battles that I can win.

I believe any one who is a blue badge holder has the right to choose whether to use them or not without other members of the same blue badge club passing comments.

I really can’t see why it’s such an emotion subject.

Take care all ………………..Mick (walking off wondering if I’m missing the point or something)

Mick - I couldn't have said it any better :mellow: Flip (also walking off shaking her head) Have a good one...

I think it only becomes an emotive subject Mick, when you 'really' need to park in these spaces, otherwise you literally can't walk the distance or/and park anywhere else, and I do think for a lot of us, a lot of the time, once we are established walking on limbs and everything is going well, we quickly forget being wheelchair dependent or whatever. Also, as others have said, a lot of us have a finite walking time, but we probably, as others have said, all have the odd day or days where walking is painful, and we want to do as little of it as possible.

I have had a taste of this in the last six months or so, and, have found, that as a bilateral not being able to wear a prosthesis on one side, I had to have room to have the wheelchair right next to door to just get out the car, which isn't generally possible in an ordinary parking space, and if there is you never know if this will be the case when you return to the car. If you are driving and on your own, you have to have this space, although once in the chair I am probably quicker, and its easier, than if I am walking on my prosthetics.

In our local town, there are just 3 disabled bays, these along with the ordinary parking spaces get filled up very quickly, if you want a space after 9 am in the morning, you are usually out of luck. You then have the choice of about 3 car parks, all at least five minutes walk or so, to shops. For some people, sometimes, not being able to park is the difference between not being able to access somewhere or do an activity.

Ann

A person in a wheelchair certainly has the option of parking in other slots just as I do. They can just keep searching further and further out until they find something accommodating.

I'm sorry Amy, but I feel you're wrong. Not all the wheelchair users are the same ... that's like saying all amps are the same. :wacko:

I'm not sure about parking space in the US, but over here, in the UK, they can be rather cosy dimensions-wise and you can't open your door fully so you can transfer into or out of your car.

A few years ago, when I had lots of surgery and had to be legless for several months, I was forced (because all the disabled parking bays were taken) to transfer with my wheelchair in the road ... that wasn't safe, by anyone's standards! :ph34r:

I think it only becomes an emotive subject Mick, when you 'really' need to park in these spaces, otherwise you literally can't walk the distance or/and park anywhere else, and I do think for a lot of us, a lot of the time, once we are established walking on limbs and everything is going well, we quickly forget being wheelchair dependent or whatever. Also, as others have said, a lot of us have a finite walking time, but we probably, as others have said, all have the odd day or days where walking is painful, and we want to do as little of it as possible.

I have had a taste of this in the last six months or so, and, have found, that as a bilateral not being able to wear a prosthesis on one side, I had to have room to have the wheelchair right next to door to just get out the car, which isn't generally possible in an ordinary parking space, and if there is you never know if this will be the case when you return to the car. If you are driving and on your own, you have to have this space, although once in the chair I am probably quicker, and its easier, than if I am walking on my prosthetics.

In our local town, there are just 3 disabled bays, these along with the ordinary parking spaces get filled up very quickly, if you want a space after 9 am in the morning, you are usually out of luck. You then have the choice of about 3 car parks, all at least five minutes walk or so, to shops. For some people, sometimes, not being able to park is the difference between not being able to access somewhere or do an activity.

Thank you, Ann ~ totally agree!

DRATS! And it's because of people like you that I try so hard to bite my cheek and not reply; eventually not logging on at all to this site. Ah well, apparently I felt like diving in and getting myself attacked/judged.

Certainly pushed your button! :tongue:

It's only an internet forum, it's not real life!

Mick, I think the reason it's such an emotive subject is for the reasons Ann gives very well in my opinion.

It's all about NEED...

There are disabilities/handicaps, that require a great amount effort just to complete the most basic of everyday tasks. I've seen people use and need every inch of an extended parking bay. Sometimes taking ten minutes or more just to get their wheelchair from the car and slide themselves across into it. Or not be able to do these things, and need others to help them. Their efforts would be literally impossible without one of these spaces. Then when they have expended all that effort, they have to think about how to negotiate curbs, slopes, stairs, ramps etc.

Anything that I can do to make their life possible, let alone more convenient, I will do.

I have been an amputee for well over twenty years and yes I have bad days, but what I have is nothing compared to many others out there.

Amy... I was merely stating a fact, you would not qualify for a blue badge in this country without bending the truth on the application.

As for biting lips and staying out of threads, what are you here for?! It's exactly what the forum is for, get your opinions out, vent a little, call me nutty (I've had worse)... it's good for the soul. Don't take it all so seriously.

it's good for the soul. Don't take it all so seriously.

Definitely good for the soul OBL. I like that.

Know where you are coming from Flip.

Hi Ann my friend!! :) Hope you are doing fine...Just wanted to add something....

Hi OneBlueLeg -trying to figure out what you said to Amy about why she would not qualify for a blue card in the UK? Why is it in the UK, an amputee whether they walk on their own, use crutches or a wheelchair would not qualify for what you call a blue card? An amputee is an amputee...

Here in the US you either have red temporary placards or blue permanent ones. Or if you are permanent you can get it on your license plates if you want. The red temporary ones are given to anyone who has surgery that impedes their walking and it is only for a limited amount of time, expiration dates are stamped and punched right on the card for everyone to see. I have seen them given to people who have leg or foot surgery, heart attacks, pregnant or even people who are overweight and have medical problems. I have noticed here in the States a number of temporary users are parked in the handicapped spots,sometimes irritating, but I figure they need them too..we also have laws that say no one is to use your placard other than you unless you are with them and they are not to use the placard if you are along in the car and you yourself don't get out of the car to go in when parked in a handicapped space. Depending on where you are, these are enforced. Here in the States, when you have an amputation, you are eligible to receive a blue permanent placard period. Your doctor signs a form, you send it in to the Department of Motor Vehicles in the state you live in and you receive it in the mail shortly. Up to us when to use them. I would hope no one judges someone else if they are an amputee on crutches, in a wheelchair or just walking unaided as to whether they need a handicapped space or not. Bad days are bad days...:) :blush: I think the answer to all of this is to start a petition for more handicapped spaces :biggrin: Night all...

Hi OneBlueLeg -trying to figure out what you said to Amy about why she would not qualify for a blue card in the UK? Why is it in the UK, an amputee whether they walk on their own, use crutches or a wheelchair would not qualify for what you call a blue card? An amputee is an amputee...

From the website...

Who can have a Blue Badge

You are automatically eligible to apply for a badge if you are over two years old and either:

receive the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance

are registered blind

receive a War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement

You may also be eligible for a badge if you are over two years old and either:

have a permanent and substantial disability which means you cannot walk, or which makes walking very difficult

drive a motor vehicle regularly, have a severe disability in both arms, and are unable to operate all or some types of parking meter (or would find it very difficult to operate them)

If you are a parent of a child who is less than two years old, you may apply for a badge for your child if they have a specific medical condition which means that they either:

must always be accompanied by bulky medical equipment which cannot be carried around without great difficulty

need to be kept near a vehicle at all times, so that they can, if necessary, be treated in the vehicle, or quickly driven to a place where they can be treated, such as a hospital.

These criteria are judged with the use of any walking aid you commonly use daily, i.e. artificial leg.

Hi Flip

OBL hasn't made the rules, you know? :wink:

You have to remember that things over here are different to over there, for example ~

* We don't have as much space. We are an over crowded island/set of islands. There isn't as much space for parking, driving, or much else really. :wacko: So, things are more rationed. I doubt whether the blue badge system could accommodate including people who had had surgery? It has enough problems with those that already qualify. :blink:

* We have (are supposed to :dry: ) have a good public transport system that is becoming increasingly accessible (that's long overdue IMHO). And, people tend to be out of their cars more over here ... so I understand.

* The blue (disabled) parking badge is rationed to those who physically/mentally/emotionally have difficulty moving around. Don't ask me why, it just is.

But, all this is avoiding the, in my opinion, important thing ~

That you should park considerately, no matter what your disability, as that parking space could be

to someone else. Just because you have the right (moral or otherwise) to park somewhere doesn't give you carte blanc to park however you wish. Afterall, we don't live in little bubbles, we live in communities and we should be aware that we're not all the same ... some of us are luckier than others ... well, that's what I understood? :rolleyes:

But, all this is avoiding the, in my opinion, important thing ~

That you should park considerately, no matter what your disability, as that parking space could be

to someone else. Just because you have the right (moral or otherwise) to park somewhere doesn't give you carte blanc to park however you wish. Afterall, we don't live in little bubbles, we live in communities and we should be aware that we're not all the same ... some of us are luckier than others ... well, that's what I understood? :rolleyes:

I concur, well said :biggrin:

The other thread post about "What do you say?" reminded me of an incident not too long ago. I usually wear my leg when running errands or shopping etc. and I pride myself on being able to walk with almost no limp in my stride. I do have a "handicapped" placard for my truck and I have often used the handicapped parking stalls if available. Well, not too long ago I was confronted by someone who didn't believe I had a disability. After showing them that I did indeed have a prosthetic leg, they apologized and seemed suprised in my walking ability. However, afterwards I really felt embarassed for using those parking stalls when I could walk in a relatively normal, although not always easy, way.

So, here is my question. Was it wrong for me to use handicapped parking when wearing my leg? Should I only use the handicapped parking stalls for the occasions when I am using crutches instead?

No it was not wrong for you to use you handicapped placard. I don't use the spot if there is a regular one nearby or if I am having a "good" leg day. If I am having a "bad" leg day you bet I use it. I ripped off my leg and showed it to one sanctimonious so-and-so when she told me I was much to young o have a handicapped placard and that I should leave it to older people who "really deserve it". It left her speechless.

JudyH

rofl

i've always wanted to do that.... I've been an amputee since I was little, so people are always wondering if i'm not allowed in those spots. I don't know why... I walk with quite a limp. Laugh.

Here is a trend I am seeing in this state. (just moved to tx from or). People with placards parking next to disabled parking spots... in the white lines... so not in the spot but in the white lines.... Where I can't open my door... or my kids door... What is up with that??? So far I haven't said anything because.. i'm a live and let live person.. but sometimes I have to crawl over seats to get in my car... anyone have any thoughts... or just let it go?

'

Here is a trend I am seeing in this state. (just moved to tx from or). People with placards parking next to disabled parking spots... in the white lines... so not in the spot but in the white lines.... Where I can't open my door... or my kids door... What is up with that??? So far I haven't said anything because.. i'm a live and let live person.. but sometimes I have to crawl over seats to get in my car... anyone have any thoughts... or just let it go?

'

Yip.....leave a note (ah, yes, me...the note persn) saying "next time leave a fricking can-opener so I can get into my car!"

:tongue:

(And yes, I have done that before)

Nooo...no...no...no...

You need to either write something on their windscreen ... in lipstick. :rolleyes: Or, stick one of these to their windscreen, with incredibly sticky glue. :smile:

Nooo...no...no...no...

You need to either write something on their windscreen ... in lipstick. :rolleyes: Or, stick one of these to their windscreen, with incredibly sticky glue. :smile:

Think you might be on a suicide mission if you did the lipstick with some of the types I have come across !!! Best go for the summons.