Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Tamara

Attitudes about "Handicapped Parking"

LOL Ann - this is strictly "hit and run"

:tongue:

Well, what an interesting thread! Here in the USA federal law governs Handicapped Parking through the Code of Federal Regulations which all 50 states must follow. It is called PART 1235—UNIFORM SYSTEM FOR PARKING FOR PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES. See link below.

If you are issued a plate or placard you may use it in all 50 states. Before this law that was not the case.

My biggest problem with HP parking is illegal parking. Several studies in large cities have shown that over 50% of vehicles parked in HP spaces were used by people who were using a relative's, live or dead, plate or placard.

Recently, a school administrator went so far as to alter his dead father's placard so he could park in HP spaces. That is a felony.

Anyone who has a plate or placard has the right to park legally in any space, regular or HP, even in van designated spaces.

Anyone who fails to display a plate or placard in an HP space will be ticketed. If you forget to display your placard the police usually tear up the ticket when you show your placard.

All vehicles must display an HP plate, Disabled Veteran's plate, or placard to be legally parked in an HP space.

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-...4.9&idno=23

Hi everyone, I just wanted to offer my opinions on this subject.

Even though I have only been an amputee for two months, I have been “disabled” for many years now due to the degenerative disease I had in my amputated leg. I do have a handicapped license plate, which I have had for 25 years now. I never really wanted it in the first place. I originally obtained it in college, when I was still walking on my leg with a severe limp. I was having trouble walking across campus between classes in time. (There was only 10 minutes between classes). The only solution was for me to drive across campus between classes. Students had to park in student parking lots off campus and were not allowed to have a car on campus unless there were special circumstances, such as a disability. So, we had to ask my doctor for a letter so I could obtain a handicapped license plate to drive my car on campus between classes.

After college, I wanted to get rid of it but my parents insisted I keep it. I eventually became a full time crutch walker in 1994 and was one up until my amputation. I have always maintained the belief that I did not want to use handicapped parking spaces unless it was absolutely necessary for me and that is how I have always lived. The only times I try to use the handicapped spaces is when the weather is snowy/icy or rainy and it becomes very slippery walking on crutches, or there was something going on with my leg that I was in pain. That is the only reason I have kept my handicapped license plate. Otherwise, I would have gotten rid of it long ago. I have always been able to walk on my crutches as easily and any person on two legs and saw no reason not to park in a regular space. I never considered myself “disabled”. Just someone who needed some crutches to walk. My mother has always disagreed with me, and she gets furious every time she sees me using a regular space instead of a handicapped one. Over the years, we have had many arguments over this. She always says it is my right to use the spaces because of my medical condition. I never felt that way. I always felt that it was something to use only when I needed it. My belief was always to leave the handicapped space open to someone who needed it more than me.

I am not perfect. I have been guilty at times of parking in a handicapped space if was running late for an appointment and didn’t have time to search for a space. But I always have felt guilt when I did this and try to avoid it as much as I can. Yes, I have had my share of comments over the years from people questioning if I was really handicapped when they didn’t notice the crutches!! I guess because I was young and active, and drove a cute little sports car :cool: , I didn’t seem “disabled.”

Now that I am an amputee, I don’t know what I will do. I don’t have my prosthetic yet so it will all depend on how easily it will be walking on it. I hope to continue avoiding handicapped spots like the plague! :smile:

I didn't think this thread would get so many responses. I think it's important for the "able-bodied" people out there to remember that a person can appear completely normal and yet suffer from a severe handicap. A few days ago, while waiting outside the clinic, I saw a woman who appeared to be in her mid 30's park in the handicapped stall next to my vehicle. After exiting her car, she pulled out her oxygen tank from the back seat. I watched her walk towards me to the building entrance (no more than a 20 meter distance) and by the time she reached the door, she had to pause to catch her breath!! Never in my life would I have thought that someone who appeared to be relatively young and healthy could suffer so much after a short walk. I felt awful for her. After seeing this, I was even more determined to use regular parking spaces even on my "bad" days.

First of all I would like to thank you all for leaving the disabled bays empty for needier people than yourselves. :biggrin:

BUT.

On a recent “spot check” in one town (can’t find a working link) 63% were being misused.

(Are you sure that you aren’t leaving them for some bone idle lazy so & so to use??). :closedeyes::closedeyes:

However in Newcastle Help is at hand link:-

http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/core.nsf/a/bluebadgemisusecamp

Unfortunately I don’t go into Newcastle that often but it’s a step in the right direction,

I believe it has nothing to do with more parking available for disabled drivers but more to do with how much in £££££ they are losing.

Take care ……………….Mick (still can’t find a empty disabled bay)

Hi all - have been hiding for a while.

All is well.

I am fortunate, most of my days are "good days". But the bottom line is that I am chopped on the right above the knee and the left is a mess. I do a lot, somtimes it hurts, badge helps.

I hate the abuse of blue badges in the UK, particularly family members usng auntie mabels in their builder's transit vans etc.

I see the badge as being one of the few benefits of the modified state.

I always use a walking stick when flying ; helps on the ques. Last week week would have been 45mins getting through security - That is uncomfortable.

Tamara,

I have been parking in Hadicapped spots for years and I still get the occasional look or the handicapped police person whomever it is that day asking me if I have a placard etc. I got asked that the other night when I parked, my vehicle license plate is a wheelchair I did this because my blue placard kept breaking on me anyway I'm always quesstioned and I always park in the handicapped spot if available. I look at it this way anything can happen when in a store or resturant and I could feel perfectly fine right now and be hurting in 5 mins (not that I hurt that much) but you just never know what situation can arise. So continue to park in the Handicapped parking and when questioned tell them to mind their own business and that you are legally able to park if they have a problem that is their problem. I will continue to park where I feel necessary and as one other poster said sometimes you just can't get out of your car in a normal spot anyway.

That would be my two cents.

This is a very controversial subject isnt it lol

Indeed it is, Rachel. I, personally, don't use them unless absolutely necessary. I'm always afraid someone will come along who needs it more than I do.

But do I care if others choose to use them? Nope. To each his own. :smile:

Hi,in my town where I live,the town center is off limits for cars,therefore you have to get parked your car round about 1 km from the center.I nearly always use a handicapped parking lot even if I am on a good day,because walking round about 1.5 or 2 km in a crowded town center is really exausting especially when our tropical sun let the temperature reach 40º C.And I have to use my pros and don't have the chance to crutch around.The handicapped parking spaces are very rare and mostly occupied by motobikers who have to deliver something for "only two minutes".That's the reason why I use this parking spaces without any remorse.

Joachim

LAK + LAE

Porto Alegre/Brazil

Just the other day when my wife and I were out ,she was driving. We parked in a handicap spot. When my wife got out first someone said to her that she should not be using someones handicap plackard. (I was in the car adjusting my leg.) When I got out of the car I had shorts on and the person apologised.

I find some ppl can be very rude, when it comes to handicap parking. It seems, when some are giving a right to use something, to them, that means it only applies to them and no one else. Over the yrs I have come across some real mean ones. Which is to bad, b/c there should be space out there for all of us. After all, we all are physically challenged in one way or the other, or we wouldn't have the plates.

I recall once as I was parking into a space, this guy drives up to me and says, "lady I was gonna park there. Well he was not a happy camper! But I would NEVER take it from someone that was waiting to turn into the space. Anyways, I came out of the store and guess what, my window wiper were bent and my cover to my gas cap was also twisted. Well, you can just imagine how upset I was, especially where this person was accusing me of taking his space. That pretty much told me right there who it no doubt was, but nothing I could do, b/c I didn't catch him and believe me, that was a good thing, for him anyways. So you see, there can be really rude ignorant ppl, at least that's how I see it. That was the only one time, thank goodness, that I had come upon any confrontation with someone over a handicap parking space. I certainly have gotten some strange looks, but that don't bother me, those I can ignore, but when they start messing with my car, that's a whole different story!!

Sheila :smile:

Maine, USA

I find some ppl can be very rude, when it comes to handicap parking. It seems, when some are giving a right to use something, to them, that means it only applies to them and no one else. Over the yrs I have come across some real mean ones. Which is to bad, b/c there should be space out there for all of us. After all, we all are physically challenged in one way or the other, or we wouldn't have the plates.

I recall once as I was parking into a space, this guy drives up to me and says, "lady I was gonna park there. Well he was not a happy camper! But I would NEVER take it from someone that was waiting to turn into the space. Anyways, I came out of the store and guess what, my window wiper were bent and my cover to my gas cap was also twisted. Well, you can just imagine how upset I was, especially where this person was accusing me of taking his space. That pretty much told me right there who it no doubt was, but nothing I could do, b/c I didn't catch him and believe me, that was a good thing, for him anyways. So you see, there can be really rude ignorant ppl, at least that's how I see it. That was the only one time, thank goodness, that I had come upon any confrontation with someone over a handicap parking space. I certainly have gotten some strange looks, but that don't bother me, those I can ignore, but when they start messing with my car, that's a whole different story!!

Maine, USA

Go get'em Sheila... :mad: Roar.

Maine, USA

Go get'em Sheila... :mad: Roar.

Yep, that's exactly how I was feeling at the time. I do try to be nice to most, but like others, I do have my limits also!! :wink:

Maine, USA

Grum - perhaps you could make yourself a sign, then? Laminate it, cut a couple of holes and hang it with some string or wire? There are ways and means. Btw if you don't use a blue badge, how do people know you're disabled?

Quite honestly, if you can move such a heavy vehicle, then you must be pretty fit. I see myself as fit, all things considered, but I can't balance on a bicycle, never mind a motorbike, AND I can't lift some objects (e.g. on a good day I can't lift anything much heavier than a bag of flour) because my centre of gravity (which is a lot higher in bilateral amps) and my legs won't allow me ... so I won't be moving anyones' motorbike, thank you very much.

Have you noticed that one or two other people in this thread have said similar things to me (e.g. that we know our own limits - implying that we should use disabled bays when we need to, but could avoid using them if we had good days)? The only difference has been that I have disagreed about motorbikes parking in disabled parking bays, when they could, with a bit of modification, be park in normal sized bays. Also, I'm fairly certain that if anyone on this forum was having a bad day and found that they had to park further away, because someone with a motorbike had parked in the only disabled parking bay, then they were be seriously unimpressed.

I often park in a regular sized bay on my good days as I feel that people with heart or breathing problems, or arthritis, or ME, or neuromuscular disease, or a mum with a teenaged child with severe disabilities ... etc., actually need that bay more than me. Even though I have a significant disability I still see that others have more difficulties than me and I try to think about them too. Personally, I think we should all think like that especially seeing as, in some areas, vacant disabled parking bays are a rarity.

Oh my, I hate saying the word stump....and I did write that word on here! I have always called it my foot. Even when the Dr's would say " stump " ooohhh I hate that word!!

Mary