Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tamara

Too painful to wear leg!!

This morning I was cleaning up around the house. I didn't have my leg on yet and was sitting on the floor, organizing some old books. Then, as I was reaching up to put an old hard cover version of "Websters Dictionary" in the book case, it slipped out of my hand and landed right on my stump! I was suprised because it didn't hurt at first...but then the pain hit me. I cried out as the throbbing began! I now have a HUGE black triangular bruise on my thigh. (Icing it has kept the swelling down) I tried to put on my leg this evening but it is still too painful. I feel like such a klutz! I think it's going to be a really long week..... :unsure:

Ouch!

Good luck, hang in there......I've done almost the same thing (although admittedly I didn't have a run-in with a hard-cover dictionary :rolleyes: )

Hugely annoying and frustration....but these kind of things happen to all of us every now and then.

xxxx

Ouch!

Good luck, hang in there......I've done almost the same thing (although admittedly I didn't have a run-in with a hard-cover dictionary :rolleyes: )

Hugely annoying and frustration....but these kind of things happen to all of us every now and then.

xxxx

Ouch indeed! I had my doctor look at it. She was shocked at its appearance, but said there is no real damage. Should take about 10 days to heal. Icing it at night helps. It is quite swollen with a nice "black and yellow" stamp on it. Looks like my arms with be getting a workout as I will be using my "Get-away-sticks".

Ouch!

xxxx

Ouch indeed! I had my doctor look at it. She was shocked at its appearance, but said there is no real damage. Should take about 10 days to heal. Icing it at night helps. It is quite swollen with a nice "black and yellow" stamp on it. Looks like my arms with be getting a workout as I will be using my "Get-away-sticks".

You did that good and proper didn't you? :wacko:

Lots of ice packs (with covers, of course) and you could try Arnica cream as it's good for bruising.

Get your leg well soon! :smile:

I echo Lizz...................you can also take Arnica tabs (helps heal from inside) with the Arnica cream.

Eish....luck!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I echo Lizz...................you can also take Arnica tabs (helps heal from inside) with the Arnica cream.

Eish....luck!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yep, can recommend Arnica tabs, took them after my op.

I'm frustrated at how long my limb is taking to heal. I still cannot wear my socket. It has been 12 days now and not much improvement. I have been wearing my shrinker sock to counter balance swelling with limited success. I am trying not to over medicate myself (call me stubborn). I was told there is nothing wrong, other than the tenderness, with my limb. Also, it should return to its original shape on its own. This is what concerns me the most because of the length of time it's taking. On the bright side, "crutching it" everywhere has not been as bad as I feared.

I'm frustrated at how long my limb is taking to heal. I still cannot wear my socket. It has been 12 days now and not much improvement. I have been wearing my shrinker sock to counter balance swelling with limited success. I am trying not to over medicate myself (call me stubborn). I was told there is nothing wrong, other than the tenderness, with my limb. Also, it should return to its original shape on its own. This is what concerns me the most because of the length of time it's taking. On the bright side, "crutching it" everywhere has not been as bad as I feared.

Can imagine your frustration Tamara, know how frustrating it is when we are waiting for something to heal and can't wear our legs, I am still not good on patience even after all these years.

Are you taking anti-inflammatories and are you icing it during the day, Tamara? I would have thought the swelling should have subsided by now? :unsure:

Are you taking anti-inflammatories and are you icing it during the day, Tamara? I would have thought the swelling should have subsided by now? :unsure:

I am now only taking Advil (no side affects), and yes I'm icing it in the evening. The swollen area is now limited to the quad-muscle area of my thigh mid way from hip to limb end. This is the area of discomfort when trying to wear my socket.

I am now only taking Advil (no side affects), and yes I'm icing it in the evening. The swollen area is now limited to the quad-muscle area of my thigh mid way from hip to limb end. This is the area of discomfort when trying to wear my socket.

If you are still getting pain, you should be icing the area at regular times throughout the day, Tamara.

When I have a very sore area, that is helped with ice therapy, I usually aim to ice about three times a day. And, when it's really bad, I do it almost continuously.

The icing will actually help you to heal faster and ease the pain, whilst the Advil will just ease the pain ... if that makes sense? :unsure:

Hells bells - that must have been one monster of a Webster Dictionary!!!!!

:unsure:

After one month of very limited leg use, many fits of frustration, and following the strict instructions of both my Doctor and leg "guru". I am happy to say I am back in the "socket" again! :biggrin: Fully healed, I now am sporting a slightly reshaped socket, and new polyurethane liner and it feels great. Now I can let the calluses on my hands heal! :happy: