Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Hopalong

Pre surgery questions to ask the doctor

Hi Everyone...

Forgive me. I haven't been here for such a long time...(been dealing with a cancer recurrence, needed support from cancer forums...so I've been hanging over there...but it doesn't mean I don't think about many of you!). A friend from one of those forums found out her bone cancer has returned and she will need an amputation. I know there were a bunch of threads that spoke of the kind of questions to ask the orthopedic surgeon before surgery...so phantom pain and pain is lessened after the surgery. I tried to search on my own but could not find them...(must be searching the wrong words!!) My friend will be seeing her doctors on Wed. so time is of the essence...I know I can count on some of you amazing people to help me find the posts that have that information in them...

Love you guys!!! :wub: :wub: :wub: Thanks ahead of time for any help you can give...

Lorri

Get as pain-free as possible for a few weeks prior to the amputation.

Ask about having an epidural - get it fitted a day or two prior to the amp, and leave it in a day or two after.

Stay as pain free as possible after the amputation - no hero-play here.....take the meds!

Ask about a procedure (I don't know much about it) where they drip morphine (I think) into each nerve before they sever it.

Well, those are the things I would do......

Luck,

Ally

xx

Oh......and she MUST get the surgeon and prosthetist speaking before the amputation. Most surgeons don't know what a prosthetist needs in order to fit an arty leg properly (and people are different....)

Hi Everyone...

Forgive me. I haven't been here for such a long time...(been dealing with a cancer recurrence, needed support from cancer forums...so I've been hanging over there...but it doesn't mean I don't think about many of you!). A friend from one of those forums found out her bone cancer has returned and she will need an amputation. I know there were a bunch of threads that spoke of the kind of questions to ask the orthopedic surgeon before surgery...so phantom pain and pain is lessened after the surgery. I tried to search on my own but could not find them...(must be searching the wrong words!!) My friend will be seeing her doctors on Wed. so time is of the essence...I know I can count on some of you amazing people to help me find the posts that have that information in them...

Love you guys!!! :wub: :wub: :wub: Thanks ahead of time for any help you can give...

Lorri

Hi Lorri

Sorry to hear about the cancer recurrence.

Regards pain after surgery, I had a revision amp last year and had a GA and epidural put in during the surgery, plus some pain meds after. It worked pretty well for me, the epidural was meant to stay in for six days, but I think fell out after five. I did have some nerve pain when I started out walking on the check socket, the nerve was inflamed and found some old damage done prob years before to same nerve higher up, but once the socket was redone, pain subsided gradually. Am now six months on, and not on any painkillers, don't really have any pain now.

There was a site I went to last year with questions to ask the surgeon - think this is the link I used http://www.amputee-coalition.org/easyread/...rgeonqs-ez.html

Ann

Thanks all so much! Between Ally, Ann and someone who chose to personally call me, I got my questions answered...I thank you all so very much...I knew I could count on you...You guys always amaze me!!!

Thanks again...

Lorri

Hi Hop-A-Long,

I am sorry to hear about you friend. I fully support Ally's comments--that is what I did before surgery. The studies said three week is best, but what time you have. I told this strategy and he laughed, but was good enough to supply the pain med. Thankfully I only had phantom pain for about two weeks after surgery and it was not that bad. So, for me it woprked.

Peace, Beth Marie