Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
cherylm

Well, maybe not an "accomplishment" per se...

Okay, gang... big deal here, for me.....

Last night, I climbed 42 stairs in a row, 32 of them WITHOUT A HANDRAIL! :biggrin:

I've never been great with stairs since the amp, but I can manage fine with a handrail. This has been a bit of a "pain" for me, as I lived in a second-floor apartment for 25 years and was used to just running happily up- and downstairs with no problems at all. At the time when all my foot and leg problems started, though, I moved to the ground floor and I've been somewhat earthbound for the last five years. I now prefer elevators... escalators depend on my mood and the way my leg's fitting... and stairs, as I said, work OK as long as there's a handrail.

But last night I went to an arena concert (Springsteen and the E Street Band. for those who are interested). My ticket was so-so... only about halfway down the length of the arena, to the side of the stage... but in the third-from-the-last row in my section. That meant going up ten stairs (with handrail) to get to the entry level of my section. (No problem there.) But then there were 32 stairs sans railing to scale to my seat! And I made it without even getting out of breath! Yes, I DID grab the occasional seatback when my balance felt shaky... but I made it up there and even managed to stand and "twitch around" (I'm NOT a good dancer) for probably about a third of the show. (Three hours long... Springsteen, after all.) THEN I managed to go DOWN 42 stairs, stand in a long line for the "facilities," and walk back to my car, parked in the non-handicapped spot!

It was a wonderful night... not just because of the show, but because I felt so utterly NORMAL. :smile:

I don't like stairs without handrails so I can totally relate to your accomplishment. Good going!

I don't do stairs without handrails!! Just like I don't do windows :laugh::laugh::laugh: And 'cherylm' that's a great accomplishment. :wink:

Congratulations Chery - that is an accomplishment.

I can manage stairs without a rail JUST if I have to but feel very unsafe.

Waddya mean "not an accomplishment per se"......

You go girl - I think that's a HUGE accomplishment!!!! What you did is absolutely bloody fantastic! I've been an amp for 17 years and I've never come close to that.

:biggrin:

Congratulations Cheryl. That is quite an accomplishment. I prefer stairs to ramps, but elevators/escalators to stairs most of the time.

Our arena has great wheelchair seating. We sat there for a recent Neil Diamond concert. The seats were great and comfortable. The arena as a whole is not really disabled friendly, but those seats were great.

Awesome Cheryl...... and you didn't' even mention it on the phone.......

You little rocker...way to go!!!!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Our local coliseum (arena) doesn't have handrails and has very steep steps. I recently went with my daughter and grandkids to see the Cheetah Girls (my lord what was I thinking?) and I was a little nervous going down the steps to our seats. My 10 yr old granddaughter is a doll and held my hand. I don't do foot over foot without something to hold on to. When we left, it was very hard going back up. The next day my butt and calf were sore! :laugh:

What you did, Cheryl, is HUGE!

Thanks, gang... it may just have been pure adrenaline, but it felt REAL good! Did a lot for my self-confidence, too!

Marcia... the Cheetah Girls?!?! What WERE you thinking?

Congratulations Cheryl,

I do stairs up & down a bit slow perhaps but with no real problems , But last year I went with my better half to see kylie minogue ( what a babe !) what a show !!!!…………………………

What a nightmare it was trying to get down the stairs with the crowd pushing and shoving

I was a total wreck by the time I got clear of the crowds. (Never again). It did my confidence no good,

So to go to a show and do the “stairs” with the number of people involved is a really good result, you have ever reason to mark this up as huge success & achievement, I have often said it’s the stuff like this that shows how well we are doing rather than “ I walked” for ten minutes ect ect.

Take care ……………..Mick.

Marcia... the Cheetah Girls?!?! What WERE you thinking?

I think iproof that you will do just about anything with and for your grandchildren. :tongue: I'm a real softie when it comes to them.

Cheryl - HUGE accomplishment!!!!! Standing ovation!! I know I haven't been at this as long as some of you, and I am still trying to figure out everything, but I cannot imagine going down all of those stairs! :unsure: I don't have too tough a time going up things, but going down is another matter sometimes, hahahaha. Wow...Big kudos to you!

and Marcia - hahahaha - I think if I had grandchildren, I would be exactly like you!!! The Cheetah Girls....what we don't do for those we love :biggrin:

Last night, I climbed 42 stairs in a row, 32 of them WITHOUT A HANDRAIL! :biggrin:

I've never been great with stairs since the amp, but I can manage fine with a handrail. This has been a bit of a "pain" for me, as I lived in a second-floor apartment for 25 years and was used to just running happily up- and downstairs with no problems at all. At the time when all my foot and leg problems started, though, I moved to the ground floor and I've been somewhat earthbound for the last five years. I now prefer elevators... escalators depend on my mood and the way my leg's fitting... and stairs, as I said, work OK as long as there's a handrail.

But last night I went to an arena concert (Springsteen and the E Street Band. for those who are interested). My ticket was so-so... only about halfway down the length of the arena, to the side of the stage... but in the third-from-the-last row in my section. That meant going up ten stairs (with handrail) to get to the entry level of my section. (No problem there.) But then there were 32 stairs sans railing to scale to my seat! And I made it without even getting out of breath! Yes, I DID grab the occasional seatback when my balance felt shaky... but I made it up there and even managed to stand and "twitch around" (I'm NOT a good dancer) for probably about a third of the show. (Three hours long... Springsteen, after all.) THEN I managed to go DOWN 42 stairs, stand in a long line for the "facilities," and walk back to my car, parked in the non-handicapped spot!

It was a wonderful night... not just because of the show, but because I felt so utterly NORMAL. :smile:

WOW FANTASTIC, GREAT, MARVELOUS, ************* CONGRATS

JudyH

well done.

I am now carrying up the morning tea on a tray (when up first which I admit is rare!)

Another "normalisation"

congratulations that is good, i wish i could manage that, im working on it but its taking a while.

well done.

I am now carrying up the morning tea on a tray (when up first which I admit is rare!)

Another "normalisation"

thats the kinda thing you conveniently cant do, you should be able to carry bags, bricks and all sorts up stairs but tea and breakfast is too much.

p.s ive now learnt to do foot over foot so might be able to keep up with you next time.

congratulations that is good, i wish i could manage that, im working on it but its taking a while.

well done.

Another "normalisation"

thats the kinda thing you conveniently cant do, you should be able to carry bags, bricks and all sorts up stairs but tea and breakfast is too much.

p.s ive now learnt to do foot over foot so might be able to keep up with you next time.

"one step at a time" sums it up!

WAY TO GO!! thats great Cheryl Congratulations ! just hope some day i'll be able to do that .

Cheryl,

Way to Go!!! I have been doing this so long you think that I would have mastered stairs but I haven't I still use the handrail I think mostly because it is my security blanket just incase I loose my footing. Every now and again if there aren't to many stairs that I won't hold the handrail but for the most part I do if for safety reasons. Keep up the good work!

42 stairs...Good for you.

Next goal: 84 stairs. :laugh:

42 stairs...Good for you.

Next goal: 84 stairs. :laugh:

Only if the 84 stairs lead somewhere REALLY worthwhile, Stagger! :laugh:

Hi Cheryl,

What do you mean it wasn't a big feat--in my books it was a huge accomplishment!!! :biggrin: I have real issues with stairs without railings--I finally got my family doctor to put in rails for the steps when you leave! I have knee problems (I have no knee caps) and that adds to the stability issue. When I see them I panic and that makes stability even worse. So, great for you.

Peace, Beth Marie

Hi Cheryl..Congratulations..I think it is a great accomplishment!! Way to go!!