Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Stagger Lee

Stick shift

Well today was another "first". I drove a friend's manual transmission car for the first time since getting my leg.

I used to drive sticks exclusively, everything from small cars to large trucks. As luck would have it, I actually owned the second automatic transmission-equipped vehicle I'd ever had when I got hurt, so at least I didn't have to deal with clutches right out of the gate.

I took a friend to lunch today, and since she didn't know downtown Washington DC traffic, she asked me if I wouldn't mind driving. It wasn't until I'd agreed to do so and went to get in the car that I realized that not only was her car one of those little Japanese Toyota cars, it was also a stick shift.

Well being a guy, I couldn't really back down. And it's not like it was my car, so what the heck...

It took a few shifts to get the hang of where the clutch pedal was, and I did miss it once and hit the brake instead, bringing the car to an abrupt stop in the middle of the road. No harm to us, but the people on the tour bus right behind us probably weren't too happy when their driver locked up his brakes to avoid drop-kicking the Toyota. Welcome to DC, tourists.

But I got it down well enough to drive in traffic, and other then a tendency to ride the clutch if I don't remind myself to take my foot off the pedal, it went well. Much fun.

Congratulations Stag............

Having just spent two days driving the truck in all kinds of fields to check irrigation tires, I can honestly say, it does get easier...

The first time I ever drove our truck, my foot rotated on the clutch pedal when I pressed it down, so that when I released it, it got caught behind the brake pedal... Made for a few interesting moments to say the least.....My biggest problem was in trying to depress the clutch pedal all the way down.. I didn't realize how much I used my toes on it until they were no longer real. But, a nice short piece of 2x4 and I'm in business... Actually, it is probably better.....

It's nice to regain a portion of something that hasn't been done in a while, isn't it?

Keep up the good work...

PS.... how's the socket fitting since it was tweaked?

Excellent!

Sticks are much more fun than auto's, hey? :smile::tongue:

I'm glad I wasn't on that bus. DC traffic nearly drove me crazy even as a passenger.

It does take some getting used to especially in a small car with little leg room. I use the mid foot instead of the toes to depress the clutch.

Hey Stagger.. Well when are you buying next sports car??? make sure it had a 5 or 6 speed manual... glad you finally got the hang of it.. I believe that I would have tried it out around Charles Town first though :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Only you would try it the D.C. Traffic!!! Jerry

Speaking as one who was lousy at driving sticks when she had TWO legs, good for you!

Hey Stagger.. Well when are you buying next sports car??? make sure it had a 5 or 6 speed manual... glad you finally got the hang of it.. I believe that I would have tried it out around Charles Town first though :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Only you would try it the D.C. Traffic!!! Jerry

Hell, it wasn't my car. :tongue:

And yeah, it's always good to be able to check off another activity on the list of things that I used to do and want to do again. :biggrin:

Way to go Stagger!

You have quite the courage.

I hope to be able to follow your lead when I get back on the motorcycle.

:smile:

Way to go Stagger!

You have quite the courage.

I hope to be able to follow your lead when I get back on the motorcycle.

:unsure: Careful now....

Hey Stagger Lee, I've found your next sports car. you will have to wait until 2012 before it's reaches production... It's the VW Bluesport. Check it out when you get a chance... Jerry

Hey Stagger Lee, I've found your next sports car. you will have to wait until 2012 before it's reaches production... It's the VW Bluesport. Check it out when you get a chance... Jerry

I want one...

vw_bluesport_concept.jpg

:blink:

There is just one thing to say: WhooooooooEeeeeeeeee, what a machine...love it!!!

Well, Here is all the information that I have on Stagger Lee's next car.. The VW Bluesport... Nice car I must admit..

Here is the website. www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=7420 Jerry

Well it's a cute little car. A bit smaller than I'm used to, but...

Here's s stick shift truck like the ones that I used to drive.

I think I'm going to buy another one, just to cheese the neighbors off. :tongue:

post-2187-1241426710_thumb.jpg