Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Trailmaster Toby

C-Leg Issues

Hey all!

I been having a little trouble with the c-leg and wondering if any have had similar issues.

When I sit on the floor with the leg extended out for a period of time, the knee won't go in swing mode for a little while. Like I have to walk it off (old sports analogy).

It has happened twice now and it's really frustrating. You know it's supposed to work and when it doesn't it, man it busts my chops. :angry:

I am emailing Otto Bock on it and have already talking with my leg guy. He is unsure also.

Appreciate as always any feedback. :biggrin:

Thanks, Erik

The first thing I would do is have your prosthetist switch out the pylon (which contains the load sensor). It is very easy to do, and most prosthetist will have a spare around. It doesn't necessarily have to be the correct length just for testing this problem.

When your leg is flat on the floor, you may be putting unusual stress on the sensor and "confusing" it, or it may have a bad connection.

Thanks Kep and Will.

I have been looking for the Otto Bock version of WD-40 so I don't violate the warranty..... :biggrin:

Will;

I actually had the pylon switched out and sent to the mother land for a looksy. They said it was shot and sent a new one that will be installed on Thursday. I just can't believe this would happen to two different pylons. Hopefully this will solve the issue and won't have any problems further.

What makes it so frustrating is that the leg is only 8 months old.

I tried to email Otto Bock but can't find an email on the website, just phone numbers. Anyone know of an email to try for the US offices?

I would make sure that your prosthetist is not over-torquing the two cap screws that "clamp" the pylon to the C-leg. He should be using a torque wrench, calibrated in inch-pounds, or Newton-meters, to do this.

Also make sure the wires didn't get pinched and are causing a short.