Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Tamara

My walking gait feels "odd"

I am now fully healed and walking on my leg again. New re-shaped socket, new liner, same leg. Height has been checked and is okay. Here is my problem: My gait looks okay, but feels so "weird". No pain, just weird.. I'm not sure if this is normal, but I don't want to damage my back or good leg either. I spent one month on crutches while I healed, so I knew that walking would take a while to come around. I did do lots of upper body exercises recently to strengthen my arms and back. Now I am wondering if I screwed things up with my core strength. Any suggestions??

I am now fully healed and walking on my leg again. New re-shaped socket, new liner, same leg. Height has been checked and is okay. Here is my problem: My gait looks okay, but feels so "weird". No pain, just weird.. I'm not sure if this is normal, but I don't want to damage my back or good leg either. I spent one month on crutches while I healed, so I knew that walking would take a while to come around. I did do lots of upper body exercises recently to strengthen my arms and back. Now I am wondering if I screwed things up with my core strength. Any suggestions??

hello! so nice youre healed and walking!

i have been bk for 7 yrs, i walk ALOT! i try to go 2 miles a day, and i will tell you, somedays i walk like a pro, other days, it just is off, harder, weirder, always kind of weird but some days better than others, why, i have no idea,

i think u just should walk and walk, and good ur so athletic, only will make us walk better to be strong,

if u have pain, a cut, anything like this, do tell doc or see prosthetist, i still get adjustments, i just had leg heightened a bit, i was shorter on one side for years but this was just easier for me,

thank GOD we can walk but to walk with a "fake" leg is not natural so it can be weird!! just get out there and go!!!

sue

Being on crutches for a month, all on its own, is enough to make walking feel "wierd" at first. Any change in your socket can also contribute to a general feeling of "wierdness." Since you say you're not having any pain, I'd be inclined to just "keep walking and watch it"... it's very likely that you're just re-adjusting to using some muscles that have been out of action for a while.

Any pain or aches, THEN I'd hustle in to see someone!

Hi,

I spent a couple months on crutches after my revision and felt much like you do. Whaqt I think happened is that my center of balance changed while on crutches. Think about it, when you "walk" on crutches you move your foot/leg to the center of you body to balance out. When you start wearing your leg again, you need to shift your weight from side to side again. I found that within a few days, I was back to "normal." Hope this makes sense to you! :smile:

Karen

Orlando, FL

Here is my problem: My gait looks okay, but feels so "weird". No pain, just weird.. I'm not sure if this is normal, but I don't want to damage my back or good leg either. I spent one month on crutches while I healed, so I knew that walking would take a while to come around. I did do lots of upper body exercises recently to strengthen my arms and back. Now I am wondering if I screwed things up with my core strength. Any suggestions??

How exactly does it feel odd? :unsure: Could it be the alignment? Or are you vaulting (i.e. not staying on your heel long enough when you're walking)?

Btw, upper body strength shouldn't affect your gait.

Go do a couple sessions on a treadmill, and everything will feel normal again.

Since the belt on a treadmill turns at a constant speed, it will force your gait to even back out.

Go do a couple sessions on a treadmill, and everything will feel normal again.

Since the belt on a treadmill turns at a constant speed, it will force your gait to even back out.

+1 on the treadmill.

It was my best friend for learning this whole new way to walk. Just keep your great determination and the rest will follow.

Keep posting with the updates.

Karen, you nailed it! I feel like my balance is off. Walking doesn't feel as instinctive as before-I have to concentrate a lot more to walk normal. I'll try the treadmill too!

Karen, you nailed it! I feel like my balance is off. Walking doesn't feel as instinctive as before-I have to concentrate a lot more to walk normal. I'll try the treadmill too!

Keep at it, Tamara, and walking will feel natural again, soon! Using the treadmill will definitely help; it forces you to keep an even pace. :smile:

I feel like my balance is off. Walking doesn't feel as instinctive as before-I have to concentrate a lot more to walk normal. I'll try the treadmill too!

It sounds more like your alignment is slightly out, Tamara ... you've had some socket work done, so it could be alignment? Also, you're an AK so, depending on what they recently did, it could be the knee or the ankle that's slightly out? You should really get it checked out before you start exercising like mad. Anyway, you're a lot younger than most of us, so you shouldn't need to do that much exercise to get you back into peak condition. :smile:

I feel like my balance is off. Walking doesn't feel as instinctive as before-I have to concentrate a lot more to walk normal. I'll try the treadmill too!

It sounds more like your alignment is slightly out, Tamara ... you've had some socket work done, so it could be alignment? Also, you're an AK so, depending on what they recently did, it could be the knee or the ankle that's slightly out? You should really get it checked out before you start exercising like mad. Anyway, you're a lot younger than most of us, so you shouldn't need to do that much exercise to get you back into peak condition. :smile:

Yes, Tamara. If you are still not walking correctly after a few days, you should see your prosthetist and let him take a look. Your leg just may need to be "tweaked" a bit. Let us know how you're doing!

Karen

Orlando, FL

Hi Tamara,

I am sorry you are having difficulty. Although I am a BK amp for almost the 1st year I get feeling the prosthetic leg as high, but the anesthetist said my hips were even. Then she went on maternity leave and the fellow that replaced her adjusted to my comfort and it worked. Also he rotated my leg by about 1 degree and since then I have walked well. My point being some times it is a very tiny adjustment that gives you the feeling that the leg belongs to you.

Peace, Beth Marie