Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
SusanI

Travel shower chairs??

Hi Everyone!

Blessings to all of you! Sorry I haven't been hanging out here too much lately...

I cannot go the ACA conference this year - I should be starting a "real" job the end of this month! Yikes!

What I am doing before the drudgery of work, lol, is taking a quick trip "across the pond" to visit my friend Christine in Devon, and then I am going to meet up with my son in London for a few days, who is in school in Sweden. (I think we're going to rent a car and travel around a bit, and stay in London a night or two)

I have a folding shower chair that fits into my big suitcase, but since we won't be stationary, I do not want to be responsible for that large suitcase. Since I am RAK, and wear a C-Leg, a shower leg cover is not an option.

I was curious as to what options you have found to deal with this if a handicapped room isn't available. I have one friend who will use an overturned trashcan in a hotel to sit on, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to do that, lol!

Any suggestions?

Best Regards,

Susan

PS hugs to all of you who get to go to the conference this year. I will miss you! Beth Marie, are you taking Prairie?

Hi Susan,

I am LAK and I either just sit in the shower or bath or I have used a fold flat step to sit upon.....

Regards

Steve :biggrin:

I stand on one leg in the shower and just don't take too long :biggrin: ... the biggest problem I find is getting in there in the first place. It's usually a step up into the shower... I use whatever chair there is available for that and if there isn't one, I ask for one... everyone has always been very accomodating.

Hi Susan,

I balance on one leg and hold on with one hand, not the most enjoyable experience.

I would think most places would do their utmost to provide you with things you need as long as you let them know before hand or on booking in.

Enjoy your trip.

Lynne

Hi Susan,

I balance on one leg and hold on with one hand, not the most enjoyable experience.

I would think most places would do their utmost to provide you with things you need as long as you let them know before hand or on booking in.

Enjoy your trip.

Lynne

I think Lynne's got a point here, sometimes things are available, we just have to ask for them. Not that I often do, must admit. I am bilateral b/k and usually either kneel in the shower or sit in the bath.

Sometimes you can use the bin turned upside down, unless it is one of those really small ones! I always try and balance in the shower, with minimal falling so far.

Thanks everyone! I have been practicing standing and leaning and getting in and out of the shower with my crutches. Not as nice as using my shower chair, but it will work. Another issue is that have is I usually sit on the side of the tub to clean out my silicone liner before I don it. From the looks of some of these hotels in London, there won't be a tub and it is doubtful a chair will fit next to the shower either! :tongue:

I'll manage and it will be good for me to be flexible! :biggrin:

Best,

Susan

PS My son's friend lives by the Langham Court Hotel on Gosfield St, in Westminster. Any suggestions for decent reasonable priced hotels/rooms in that area? (or should we stay in a different area and just take the Tube to get to her?

There is a very quick and reliable transport link to the centre of London so staying in the suburbs is usually nicer. The restaurants and bars will be cheaper also. Go west, as the Pet Shop Boys sang :D

Thanks everyone for your help. I got back on Wednesday and had a great trip. I managed without my shower chair, and with staying on the second floor of my friends home in Devon. I even rented a car for a few days and drove with my left leg successfully! Not sure if it was legal, but we managed. :-)

Found a wonderful place to stay by Hyde park, and since we decided to only stay in London one night, I justified the cost, though it was pretty reasonable for London - £139, including a decent breakfast and a nice sized bathroom. (last minute good deal at the Darlington Hyde Park) We took the Heathrow Express into the city, and walked the few blocks to the hotel for £16, but then I found out about Dot2Dot and they picked me up at the hotel the next day and dropped me off at my terminal for £19! Well worth it to me, and cheaper than a taxi.

Starting a new "real" job next week, so big changes for me, hopefully good ones.

Hope everyone who is going to the conference has a great time.

Hugs,

Susan

Susan;

sounds like a great trip. Glad to see you back and in one piece... :smile:

Good luck on the new job and we look forward to hearing more adventures.

Sounds like you had a good trip Susan. Sorry we won't be seeing you in Atlanta, but hope you enjoy your new job. Keep us posted.

Hi Susan,

Glad you had a great trip. Curiosity, what is your new job?

Peace, Beth Marie

but then I found out about Dot2Dot and they picked me up at the hotel the next day and dropped me off at my terminal for £19! Well worth it to me, and cheaper than a taxi.

What's Dot2Dot?

"Dot2Dot is a convenient new airport transfer service for London, transporting customers in style and comfort between Heathrow Airport and central London."

www.dot2.com/

I found it when I was on tripadvisor, looking at hotel ratings. I was really happy with the service since it was reasonably priced and very convenient. While it's not "green" transport, they picked me up at the hotel and dropped me off at my terminal. I couldn't have been happier!

Beth Marie, I'm working as an interviewer for the Department of Labor and Workforce Development. It is 4 days a week, and I'm not used to getting up so early, lol! It will be a challenge for me - my residual limb has been "tired" and my phantom pains acting up this week. Can't get in to see my prosthetist til next Friday (work schedule, lol) but they are going to cut out some of the back of my socket to see if that helps. I think some of the issue is walking around more than I usually do and also sitting on that ischial containment socket a lot.

Neal, have one for me in Atlanta! Hope you all have a great conference.

Best,

Susan

I understand the obligations with the new job and all, but you sure will be missed in Atlanta this year...... :sad:

Hope you get things lined out with the leg, and out of pain.... I don't know about you, but with all the rain this spring, it's getting hard to remember when I didn't have some sort of phantom pain....Oh well, sooner or later it will be hot and dry here, I'm sure, and we'll be dreaming of the spring that was so nice and wet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wacko: