Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Tamara

Conscious about body "image"

To put this "judgemental" thing into perspective.......

I would not hesitate to have a cosmetic cover on a 2nd leg that was (expensively) lifelike. If I couldn't have a decent cosmesis, I wouldn't bother.

It's all personal preference, as everyone has said......

:smile:

Exactly! ... you spotted it as well Ally :wink:

And your point is? :unsure:

You're an intelligent woman, I think you can work things out for yourself. :rolleyes:

You're an intelligent woman, I think you can work things out for yourself. :rolleyes:

Has anyone ever told you that you're a big stirrer? :rolleyes: Actually, I think they did on here, not too long ago ... :smile:

But, seriously, please stop 'having a go'. After all, I made a valid point ~

"People should do what they feel happy with - if they feel happy and comfortable, they will naturally embrace their limb loss."

And, to add to that, when you are content with your limb loss, those around you will feel more at ease too.

Personal preference is just exactly that..... a personal choice...for all of us........

Ultimately, in the end, it doesn't matter if it is covered or not... as long as they are functional for all of us....Would you want a fantastic looking covered leg that walked like crap or one that is just the basic leg, but walks the greatest of all? Given that case, I think most any leg amp would choose the best walking leg. The totally sad but true part is that some can't afford a cosmesis, or they choose to put food on the table, and heat and lights in their house over having something that looks nice..

I've had a leg that was covered and opted for them to remove the cosmesis.. personal preference..my choice.....I prefer to not have it covered but I respect the choice of anyone who does choose to wear one that is covered...The same as respecting friends that choose to not even wear a leg.. they made their choice for their own reasons and they have the right to do that..

End the end, we all have one thing in common..we're all amputees...there isn't one over another, or one any better than any other..We are all just living our life, day by day....one day at a time..

What I find interesting about this thread is, body image can be a big problem for able bodied people as well, and we think of limbs before the rest of our body..as far as body image goes.

cover no cover. hey i just want one that fits and is comfortable and i dont have to spend hours and hours getting it sorted.

I did have mine covered but life is too short. it takes them like 5 hours to cover it each time. I get out the door and it hurts again and I go through the whole thing all over again.

I JUST WANT TO WALK PAIN FREE I dont care wat it looks like

lol :biggrin:

cover no cover. hey i just want one that fits and is comfortable and i dont have to spend hours and hours getting it sorted.

I did have mine covered but life is too short. it takes them like 5 hours to cover it each time. I get out the door and it hurts again and I go through the whole thing all over again.

Rachel,

Tottally agree.........Ten fold.

Lynne

Rachel,

Tottally agree.........Ten fold.

Lynne

Totally agree with what Rachel and Lynne are saying. When you can't get a leg that you can walk in, and are in pain, your priorities change, and what it looks like ceases to be an issue, you just want one you can walk in.

Who really cares about covers? It's a very personal choice.

This thread was started because of our personal image of ourselves following amputation. Whether we are self-conscious or not. A covered leg does not necessarily improve your body image. Body image and how the public accepts us is how this topic started.

Who really cares about covers? It's a very personal choice.

This thread was started because of our personal image of ourselves following amputation. Whether we are self-conscious or not. A covered leg does not necessarily improve your body image. Body image and how the public accepts us is how this topic started.

The cover is VERY relevant to how we feel about ourselves and how others see us. If you have a good cover that deflects people's attention away from your prosthesis it can transform the way you see yourself and the way you feel. Surely the cosmesis is a critical part of self image.

Some care greatly about it, some don't, we're all different and we can celebrate that.

Some feel the cosmesis detracts from a positive body image, feeling that it merely tries to hide the unhideable, others couldn't live without it.

If we're talking about body image without a prosthesis... I wouldn't have much to say on that because I wear mine from dawn to dusk, so I only ever really think of myself with two legs.

When I wear long pants and my walking foot, no one can tell. Lots of people that I am around regularly still don't know.

When I go running, I wear shorts and my running leg is out there for everyone. Today I ran six miles downtown Washington DC, mostly on the tourist-filled National Mall. Let 'em look. I may have a prosthesis, but I can run--probably farther and faster than most of them.

Although I do my best to take care of myself and look presentable, I began thinking about how the general public views the physical appearance of amputees. I ask this because of a woman I met who recently lost her arm. She isn't interested in getting fitted for a prosthesis and is not self conscious about how she looks.

I notice more and more movies have small or major roles for disabled people. I also notice that several young people seem to embrace their disability as a uniqueness and show it off in costumes for parties, Halloween etc. (think Cherry Darling from "Planet Terror") I have mixed feelings on this.

Until recently I saw many amputees want a prosthesis that looked as real as possible. Now it almost seems some want an artificial limb that looks futuristic or mechanical. While being fitted I saw some amazing artwork on some leg sockets. I never really asked my prosthetist. Am I mistaken in my observations? Or has anyone else noticed this too?

I was covered in fresh burn scars, my legs were twisted and bent and I dragged my right leg. On good days I used to be called Quasimodo on bad days....Well I'll leave that to your imagination.

The one thing that kept me going, before my accident I knew I was me, after my accident when my skin had gone and I was just raw flesh and bone, I knew I was still me and after everything had healed and I was covered in scars I knew I was still the same old me underneath it all. The only thing about me that had changed was the packaging. All I had to do was go out and show everyone else I was still me. You do have to go out there and show everyone that you don't have a problem and get on with your life. I've never shown off at parties or anything like that however, I did once appear naked in front of a select audiance of about 80 people. I'm more interested in how my prosthetics perform than how they look.

Well done sparky I agree

Neal it is still about 'image' whether you are covered or not. When I got my first leg I wanted it to look as 'normal' as possible cos i did not wanna be different. I have now walked for over a year with crutches and a limp in constant pain. Now i wanna be able to stand up right and look 'a different normal'. Is that not body image. cover or no cover. pretty leg or wooden leg.

Rachel

Hi Tamara

I hope society is changing cos the world would be a better place with a little tolerance.

Hi All,

I certainly agree that is up to personal choice. When I went to ACA last year I was amazed by the number of "naked" legs. I had a basic-- i.e. not too realistic--cover and when people asked I said I had the cover so people would not judge me as less being an amputee. After the meeting I really started thinking about it as I was getting a new leg in September. It was not long until I got to the point of saying my leg is mine and if others have trouble with how it looks it is their problem. When the leg was made I asked my leg guy if it could be "pretty." :rolleyes: . He said sure, bring us some fabric you like and we will laminate it on for you. So, for the weekend I had two pieces I liked one a lovely quilted pattern and the other with ladybugs of all colours. I decided the quilt pattern would suit me better--maybe the next leg will have lady bugs on it--who knows. I like my leg a lot and show it off when I can. When I say, "want to see my pretty leg" I get really strange looks, but when they see it they usually said, "that IS really pretty."

So, thanks to all of you at ACA last year for getting me to think about what I wanted. I too get stares, but when children stare and are close my I ask them if they want to see my robotic leg as it is cool? They usually do and I can feel the walls coming down--even in their parents.

Peace. Beth Marie

Me ?? I guess I am in the lower percentage of this debate. In order to feel good about myself, I have to have mine covered. I guess I do not want any attention & staring concerning my leg. It makes me feel good like I used to feel before my amputation. It doesn't bother me that others would rather leave their leg uncovered. Me, mine is covered. JMHO

Ann........ having a leg covered doesn't make you less!!!!!!!!!!!! And don't think it does!!!!!!!!! There are plenty of people that I have met that want their limbs covered...

I've known you for a while and I know you are no less than anyone else... What you choose to do, you do.. for you.... and that's the way it is supposed to be...for your own comfort..

For many of us, we don't see other amputee's over the course of the year, unless we are where they are, like a support group.. Me, I'm it..... there are a few other's in my neck of the woods, but you never see them...they are seniors and tend to stay home bound.. It's interesting at a conference to see all the different legs, sockets, covered sockets, or sockets made with a design laminated into them..let's not forget liners, etc....

For a long time, I thought that I was "unusual" because I chose not to have mine covered for more practical reasons.. tearing it up on the farm.....At my first conference, I began to feel a lot more comfortable with myself, seeing so many different variables.....

You are just ~~~ one of us!!! :biggrin:

Yep, Higgy we go back several years....you are the one I leaned on when I first came on a forum...you are the one who I always went to when feeling down or for questions I felt I couldn't ask anyone else. You see there was no one around my area to talk with. Yes, I could talk to my family, but they really couldn't understand where I was coming from. You are the one who gave me all the little in's & out's that are so valuable to a new amputee. All the girlie things that help you feel like a female again, like don't you dare shave your legs & how to use velcro to keep your shoes on {giggle, giggle} I can even laugh about it now.

You were always there for me {although only on the internet} but that doesn't make any difference...when I needed something answered, I could always count on you. We have talked about this covering & not covering several times in the past....it doesn't bother me that others do not cover...I do my thing & they do theirs. :smile:

Some of us don't want to talk about our leg or be 'different'. Others are quite comfortable being an amputee. A decorated socket opens many conversations. I've had a number of people come up to me and comment on how much they like the looks of my leg. This is the part where it makes them more comfortable being around us.

There is an article about an amputee soldier in the latest "People" magazine. He is wearing a flag sleeve cover over his leg. Even though I wear slacks, my leg has been the topic of conversation this past week comparing it to his.

I don’t have mine covered simply because no matter how good or realistic it may look , it will in some small degree affect how the limb performs even if it slows the swing for a nano second that is a nano second that I might need to get from a to b .

As Sparky has quite rightly stated performance is every thing.

……………………Mick

I think prosthetic performance is a good thing too! :smile:

However, you guys need to remember that men and women are affected by amputation in different ways. Men have to cope with the loss of a body part and the loss of function. Whilst women tend to be affected by the loss of a body part, the loss of function and the effects of how the new limb looks. I suppose it's because a womans' image is very important ... to both the woman and men? :rolleyes:

Btw, I'm not saying it's any worse for women or men - it's just different.

My prosthetist suggested that it was more typical in the US to not have a cosmesis compared to UK. Personally I now prefer the robotic look (i avoided wearing shorts when i had a cosmesis too - i guess i felt that i was trying to hide the fact that i had an artificial limb)

I think prosthetic performance is a good thing too! :smile:

However, you guys need to remember that men and women are affected by amputation in different ways. Men have to cope with the loss of a body part and the loss of function. Whilst women tend to be affected by the loss of a body part, the loss of function and the effects of how the new limb looks. I suppose it's because a womans' image is very important ... to both the woman and men? :rolleyes:

Btw, I'm not saying it's any worse for women or men - it's just different.

Yes think this is right, as well as this you can throw other variables into the equation such as stump length, type of prosthesis design, alignment, the way the prosthesis is held on,and the other thing I don't think anyone has mentioned is if it affects balance, walking etc. Maybe this is just me, because I have always, apart from my original rocker pylons, worn limbs that have been fashioned like legs (from the knee down anyway), is that I definitely don't feel like the legs (am bilateral) are part of me, or complete, until they have that final foam cover on - especially if they are making one at a time - so do realize this could just be tricks of the mind ... but in the end it just comes down to personal choice. At least we do get the choice these days, we never used to years ago.