Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Tracybuz

Loss of suction!!

Hi, I have just taken delivery of my first suction socket (RAK) and will have a follow up appointment in about 5 weeks. Before this I had a neoprene belt to keep the leg on so this feels so much more comfortable.

My problem is this....................my work involves mainly sitting at a desk which isn't a problem but when I go to the loo and sit on the loo seat I loose suction! The other night I also tried using my exercise bike at home and after a few peddles I lost suction and I could shake the leg off!! Is it because of sitting on uneven surfaces or is the fit just not right? When the leg first goes on it feels really secure and not loose at all. Any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks

Hi, I have just taken delivery of my first suction socket (RAK) and will have a follow up appointment in about 5 weeks. Before this I had a neoprene belt to keep the leg on so this feels so much more comfortable.

My problem is this....................my work involves mainly sitting at a desk which isn't a problem but when I go to the loo and sit on the loo seat I loose suction! The other night I also tried using my exercise bike at home and after a few peddles I lost suction and I could shake the leg off!! Is it because of sitting on uneven surfaces or is the fit just not right? When the leg first goes on it feels really secure and not loose at all. Any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks

getting it on properly taks some time, its 100% or not working properly. And when not working you know.

Can lose suction on loo/cycling - I push the valve and re-seat - usually works without redonning.

Thanks

getting it on properly taks some time, its 100% or not working properly. And when not working you know.

Can lose suction on loo/cycling - I push the valve and re-seat - usually works without redonning.

Thanks for that. I tried it yesterday instead of taking it off completely and it seemed to work! Any tips on getting it on straight?? Seems to be trial and error.........at the moment what works most times is putting it on with the toe pointing inwards and then once its on it some how becomes straight!

You'll get the hang of it eventually, it's usually a bit of trial and error when you get a new socket. Also, no two legs are aligned exactly the same, regardless of how much they tell you they are. I've never worn two the same... sometimes you can have something altered on a leg that hasbn't affected the alignment at all, only for it to feel very different... it's the way of things, though the alignment should feel right for you and not puyt undue stresses on any other part of the body.

As for losing suction, if the socket is made of a stiff material this may be an unfortunate consequence. This is one of the reasons why I prefer a softer socket, one that's more compliant to hard surfaces. It makes your clothes last longer too!

If you have wood floors, or tiles, one trick I used was to always sit in the same chair and then always align the foot the same way with floor boards when I put the leg on. After a while you can do it by "feel" alone.

Thanks

Hi, I can only repeat what the others have stated.

There’s a lot of stuff that will come naturally to you as time goes on, and you will automatically move adjust and alter your stance without even thinking about it,

There will always be a risk of losing suction when you get into certain conditions; we all have developed “tricks” that help out .for example some of mine:-

Getting out of a low car seat I automatically put weight on my arty limb that little bit slower forcing any excess air out. Before I take the first step, I do it now without even thinking about it even if I haven’t lost suction.

Sitting down and standing up again I always weight bear that tiny bit slower ensuring the air is expelled. (Sometimes I will hold the valve in but only if the suction has been totally broken)

Little things like the height of the chair you are sitting on can make a huge difference on how the suction is maintained, even the position of your foot (when sitting) can affect the forces acting upon the seal and thus the suction, (just try sitting down and having your foot in different positions then stand up you will soon get to know what’s right and what causes you to loss suction,

I always seem to know when the suction is breaking as you can feel it the secret is to act straight away before it goes completely,

One other thing that I have taught myself to do is I can physically hold my leg on when the suction has been broken by clenching the muscles in my stump; this has come in handy on more than on occasion when walking through sticky boggy mud when out hiking up the hills. I guess what I trying to say (and making an arse of it) give it a bit of time and practise different techniques for (A)not getting into that position where the seal will fail or (B) practise what works for you in recovering the seal.

GOOD LUCK…………………………..Mick

Little things like the height of the chair you are sitting on can make a huge difference on how the suction is maintained, even the position of your foot (when sitting) can affect the forces acting upon the seal and thus the suction, (just try sitting down and having your foot in different positions then stand up you will soon get to know what’s right and what causes you to loss suction,

This can be helped a lot by getting a turntable... for AKs, it's fitted above the knee and allows you to rotate the bottom half of the leg, so that you don't exert that force which might lose you suction when sitting or getting out of a car or whatever.