Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
unique

Still would like to speak to Amputee with knee replacement

Hi,

help, I am planning a robotic PARTIAL knee replacment at HSS in NEw york this Summer and I would love to chat with someone who is an amputee who has gone through the recovery and get some tips

The last time I posted this i got replies from non-amps and I really just want to hear from AMPUTEES, that is my problem, my doc does not know of anyone who has had this done.

i have been an amputee for 27 years and the good knee is and has been giving me pain for 6 years now. I have been wearing one brace of another for about four years and having synovial fluid replacemnt therapy for three years. The shots are great but they only last for two months. So I am getting fed up with having them over and over and running intp problems with doctors getting reimbursed.

So please if you have been through this or a full replcemtn give me a sign!

Thanks

Unique

I thought I contacted you? :unsure:

I'm an amp who's had a TKR on their amp side. However, I'm also in contact with at least one other amp who has had a TKR on their non-amp side. The issues for someone having a TKR on the non-amp side are very similar, but aren't as challenging.

If you'd like some tips then please get in touch via PM. :smile:

hi, i had a tkr on my good leg 9 years ago, i managed great with it at the time & am still going strong!! didn't affect my amp at all.

cheers

maggie

I had a TKR on my good leg 8 years before my AKA on the other side. The TKR did not hinder my recovery in any way, and now my AK side is my best leg.

Hi,

help, I am planning a robotic PARTIAL knee replacment at HSS in NEw york this Summer and I would love to chat with someone who is an amputee who has gone through the recovery and get some tips

The last time I posted this i got replies from non-amps and I really just want to hear from AMPUTEES, that is my problem, my doc does not know of anyone who has had this done.

i have been an amputee for 27 years and the good knee is and has been giving me pain for 6 years now. I have been wearing one brace of another for about four years and having synovial fluid replacemnt therapy for three years. The shots are great but they only last for two months. So I am getting fed up with having them over and over and running intp problems with doctors getting reimbursed.

So please if you have been through this or a full replcemtn give me a sign!

Thanks

Unique

Hello,

I am a BKA who has a total knee replacement in the leg with amputation. Have had the amputation almost six years, the knee over two years. My doctor here in KY did my replacement and I will be honest and tell you I have had trouble with my knee, but I don't think it is because of anything he did, it is because of the injuries I had being a traumatic amputation. The trauma surgeon saved my knee, but I had a non-union fracture of the femur, which took multiple surgeries to heal and ended up shorter than my other femur. He used the computer guided software to align my knee, which makes it perfect for someone with a straight leg, but my leg is probably not perfectly straight, as it was grafted back together. It is better than it was before and I wouldn't tell you not to do the surgery because my knee was so damaged in the accident, I couldn't let my prosthetist roll a liner on my leg for me it hurt so badly. We are working on correcting my walk and strengthening my hip because I have medial knee pain now and I didn't when I first got the knee, so it might just be a bad habit I fell into. I am also going to try to return to a suction leg, which I was first wearing when I got my knee, but had to return to a pin system because of a blister I couldn't get healed because my leg changed after my surgeries to get the knee. I had a plate and 12 screws along my femur and they were removed first and my leg allowed to heal. The knee surgery was done later because this was too much for one surgery and removing the plate also would cut into the blood supply to the knee and might risk me losing the knee if we did it all at once.

There is a doctor in Nashville, TN who specialized in knee replacements and has done them in amputees. I had a consultation with him, but he wasn't going to remove all my hardware, but cut some of it out. I have heard only good things about him, but didn't want to have this hardware forever in my leg, if I didn't need it any longer and was having surgery anyway. I can get you his name, but don't remember it right now. Hope this helps you. If you have any questions, I will be glad to answer any of them.