Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
pegleg07

what socket would be best for me

I have a CUSTOM liner, Tigertatt, made from a cast of my residual limb. And there are several more of us here that to do too. So, for sure, that particular thing need not be pre-fab.

But I do agree - to each his own - we ARE all different and must get the parts that suit each of us as individuals.

I have a CUSTOM liner, Tigertatt, made from a cast of my residual limb. And there are several more of us here that to do too. So, for sure, that particular thing need not be pre-fab.

But I do agree - to each his own - we ARE all different and must get the parts that suit each of us as individuals.

Yes, VERY GOOD point here. Custom liners are something not talked about much here and are good to point out. Any CP can send a copy of your limb (positive, negative or electronic) to a couple different companies (Silipos and Evolution come to mind or some CPs can fab them in house) and have a liner made to match the needs of your limb. If using this type of liner with an active vacuum system your CP will have to put some kind of cloth over the vac port to keep the bare silicone/urethane from getting sucked into the hole and preventing vacuum. :smile:

TigerTatt,

I also have a CUSTOM MADE liner made from my cast...and it does fit really well. I needed more cushion around the front of my leg.

Hey All

I have not posted very often on here, but here goes.

I have an active vac system for bk , from limb logic willow woods. I have talked to tiger about this often.

This system has the best fit , I have had in over 20 yrs . It was a giant pain in the a@@ trying to keep a seal in the system.

I hated that the pump would always run. Kept trying to fix the leak...thinking maybe it was the liner ...or the gasket..( like tiger was saying) my leg guy was at a loss....

This past week I went to a seminar for the prosthesis. The factory rep from limblogic was there teaching the guys how

to fix the problem .(I was the test modle)

It would seem its not the gasket that is the culprit....

When they attach the pump to the bottom of the socket they attach a metal disk to the bottom of the socket. This is used to attach the pump to the bottom of the socket. The have to drill a hole in the bottom of the socket . They then insert a

filter in this hole...so stuff does not get drawn into the pump. When they drill this hole, they apply some silicon sealant let it dry then redrill a smaller hole...this is suppose to help seal the socket.....problem is...the sealicon they were using...was shrinking as it dried..causing you guessed it....a LEAK! ( this is a bit confussing, but I hope you get the picture?)

Tiger suggested using a sealant around the connection between socket and pump to help stop the gasket leak. There is a danger that the sealent can be drawn into the pump...and the factory rep...warned not to go this route..all though I tried it my self...did not harm the pump...but did not catch the leak for me either...willow wood has release a new version of the gasket and assures that the gasket was never the problem, but have upgraded it none the less.

Since my leg guy used new sealant...redrilled the hole. ...etc... my system now seals . It was worth the aggravation to get this system to work, as the fit is better then I ever thought a leg could fit....

use to be 5 sec between the pump running , now its approx 30 mins...

One more important news item from factory rep. He tell me unit is water proof...not resistant to 3 meters...this means you can swim on it...with out any problems...but not scuba...he tossed a running pump in to a pail of water when I did not believe him...lol....this was great news for me! I told him I was gonna hold him to his statement, and that I had witnesses...grin!

I like the same suppension sleeve as tiger. Have tried a lot of them and it is the best I have tried.

liners I use the alphas from oww and like them . I dont care for the feel of the liners (alps?) that tiger likes...so people have diff taste..lol

Am getting a new leg made, and am looking forward to the tighter fit with the vac working properly.

Someone had questions as the vac system and working on a farm? The pump is sealed for water to 3 meters, so dirt should be no problem what so ever. You would have to take care of the sleeve when working around any thing that could cut or punture it.... or cover sleeve with some protection. I see no problem adapting it to fit that life style .

Well that is all for now

Stay Frosty

Frosty

Frosty, that's great news! And what a treat to be their "test model" for the demo...getting the word right from the manufacturer must have been reassuring.

This post has been very helpful to me. I am as of today getting a second socket. I am currently having to wear over twenty plies (10 socks)

to keep my leg on properly. My pros suggested a vacume system but then backed off. Working at a ranch and other jobs where I am around equipment, machinery, barbed wire and such he figured it would be better for me to stay with my current pin lock system. He is worried about punctures and such.

I like the outdoors and am working to get back to hiking , walks and such. Just how fragile is a vacume system? Is it possible to be an outdoor type anduse a vacume system?

Thank You

derrick

This post has been very helpful to me. I am as of today getting a second socket. I am currently having to wear over twenty plies (10 socks)

to keep my leg on properly. My pros suggested a vacume system but then backed off. Working at a ranch and other jobs where I am around equipment, machinery, barbed wire and such he figured it would be better for me to stay with my current pin lock system. He is worried about punctures and such.

I like the outdoors and am working to get back to hiking , walks and such. Just how fragile is a vacume system? Is it possible to be an outdoor type anduse a vacume system?

Thank You

derrick

The weak link in the system is the outter sleeve that seals your leg to the socket. Pin holes (or any hole) just make the pump on an active vac system run more. unless you have a BIG hole the system still works just fine but runs more often reducing your battery life. When I have new sleeves without holes I can go 3 days without charging my Limblogic pump, if i have a couple small holes I can go 2 days, and If I have alot of small holes I can go 1 day or less before I have to charge the pump again. The system still works 1000 times better than the pin did for me even when I have a ton of holes in my sleeve.

I live on acrage with barbed wire and my road is gravel and I work on and fix everything and I'm going to stay with the vac system, YES !! I do have to be more careful with how I do things , I can't crawl around on my hands and knees fixing stuff like I normally have unless I take the time to protect my sleeve with some kind of pad or knee pad. If I know that i'm going to be under a car or working on something in the dirt that day then ill just grab one of my old sleeves that already has a ton of holes in it and use it. I keep a tube of super glue in my pocket (thanks to Abilitytrek for this tip) incase I do poke a hole in my sleeve.

Personally for me, the vac system is 1000 times better than the pin ever was and allows me to do much much more than the pin ever did and it is worth it for me to take the extra care to keep from poking holes in my sleeve. Bottom line -- the "system" over all is not fragile, the pump can take alot of abuse but the sleeve is the weak link. The biggest plus of an active vac system is NO MORE ply socks!!, the active vac keeps a fairly constant volume in your stump though out the entire day, your foot become way more responsive, and you lose the pistoning effect of the pin system. -- try it and see if you benifit more from an active vac than you do with the pin system, you can always swap back to the pin if you don't like it, but you'll never know if you don't try it.

Tiger, you should consider a sleeve protector. It is custom made to fit over the socket while the sleeve is on it. It covers the sleeve up to and just beyond the trim lines of the socket. It allows you to get on your knee without the sleeve being compromised. It helps anyway. I started the process on my new LimbLogic system Monday and it will incorporate one of these. My guy recommended the Alps Easyliner and I insisted on the Alps Viva sleeve. There is a new vacuum liner that I saw while at the conference. It is only available through this prosthetist, but it doesn't require a sleeve. I don't know if he has a website, but look for Symmetry Prosthetics.

New here. Question I have is do they require your stump to be a certain length in order to get that system, I asked about it and my prosthesis brushed me off about gettin on

Hi, showtime1k, and welcome to our merry little band! Just to update you, I've now been able to make the transition from pin-lock to a vacuum-assisted suspension, and it's every bit as wonderful as Tigertatt and company have claimed. I don't think that stump length should be a problem for fitting...only thing that might be needed is one of those custom-fit liners that Marcia and eag mentioned. I know that Marcia's residual limb is quite short—much shorter than mine—and she's been in a vacuum system for quite a long time. Based on my own experience (it took several attempts to get my vacuum suspension fitted properly), a custom liner can make an incredible difference in the fit of the rest of the system. Even though I was technically within the specs for an off-the-shelf liner, I had massive problems with the ones they tried on me...once the custom liner arrived, I waltzed off quite happily into the sunset!

Are you a fairly recent amputee? I'd be somewhat more concerned about going through with a vacuum system if you're still going through massive shrinkage due to muscle atrophy. Tigertatt is correct that a vacuum pump can maintain volume over the course of the day...but I have a looonnggg and interesting history of overall shrinkage, and I've already had to have a major revision to my socket, with mucho padding added to maintain a stable fit. (We're trying to hold off on a new socket for a while because I'm now able to actually be much more active over much longer periods of time and have been able to lose a significant amount of weight as a result. Means new sockets are going to be in my future for some time to come, and I want to keep my insurance company feeling good about going along with all my high-end leg stuff.)

Hope that's some help to you........... :smile: