Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Mary Farquhar

Partial right amputee with severe skin irritation.

HI, I'm 34 yrs old and have been a partial foot amputee for 18 yrs now. I have been off work due to skin problems on my stump. Have had 2 new prosthesis made and still can't wear it. I have been to Dr's and they keep telling me it's the prosthesis. Since I have lesft work it has been really bad. I spend my days with no prosthesis on. I am getting very frustrated as I have no quality of life. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be the problem???

Mary

What kind of problems, and have you talked with your prosthetist about this at all? What is his/her opinion of why you are having skin problems? Did they use any different materials this time than the last time?

What kind of problems, and have you talked with your prosthetist about this at all? What is his/her opinion of why you are having skin problems? Did they use any different materials this time than the last time?

I have talked to my prothesist. He thinks it's the prosthesis as well and tells me to be patient. It has been 2 years of being off work and it has gotten worse to where I can't even walk. The thing is I have had the same prosthesis for more then 5 years because the others that have been made I can't wear. BUT now my old one is hurting me as well. I am actually going this week to adjust this new prosthesis that was made. I'm hoping I will be able to wear it. At this point I am wearing nothing because the pressure point is so red. Also where the scar tissue is. Tired of my life being on hold. I am very active too! I'm starting to think amputating higher might be the solution?

im not sure what your problems are but see another prosthetist!!! i have tried a few and the differences is skill and understanding were huge!!

good luck

im not sure what your problems are but see another prosthetist!!! i have tried a few and the differences is skill and understanding were huge!!

good luck

The skin on the stump, where the pressure points are..... is red, very sore. Some skin had cracked and was bleeding a bit. It's red where the scar tissue is too. I go see my prosthesist on Thursday. I will see what he says. Maybe I will have to change?

mary

you can get tests to see wat you are allergic to. if you had no problems before maybe they changed wat they make you leg from.

Also how do you maintain you stump. do you cream it regularly and if so wat do you use. maybe they have changed how they make the cream/soap etc. pressure sores are the norm for most of us with prosthetic legs that dont fit properly but cracked skin is usually down to dry and irritated areas.

I have a rubber allergy and use a sleeve that has no ruber. this means that it also has less cushioning andtherefore i get pressure sores.

One issue can lead to another.

Go see a doctor cos if it is an allergy thing they can find out.

Rachel

mary

you can get tests to see wat you are allergic to. if you had no problems before maybe they changed wat they make you leg from.

Also how do you maintain you stump. do you cream it regularly and if so wat do you use. maybe they have changed how they make the cream/soap etc. pressure sores are the norm for most of us with prosthetic legs that dont fit properly but cracked skin is usually down to dry and irritated areas.

I have a rubber allergy and use a sleeve that has no ruber. this means that it also has less cushioning andtherefore i get pressure sores.

One issue can lead to another.

Go see a doctor cos if it is an allergy thing they can find out.

Rachel

Hi!

No, I'm sure it isn't an allergy. The irritation is at the scar tissue and above it. When I walk it moves. I do put cream on it. Doesn't do anything. I have been not wearing my prosthesis but still walk in the house since Friday....still red! Guess it's gonna take a lot of time to heal?!

Mary

:smile: ,

Mary I am sorry that you are having so much trouble....When they amputated my leg, the Doctor said he could just amputate half of my foot, but that usually wasn't a good thing to do. It is hard to find shoes and I wouldn't like it that way. So hubby decided as I wasn't in my right mind :blink: { too many drugs} he would go with what my surgeon told him.

If it will let you walk again, that may be the route you will have to take...but no one can make that decision for you.

:smile: ,

Mary I am sorry that you are having so much trouble....When they amputated my leg, the Doctor said he could just amputate half of my foot, but that usually wasn't a good thing to do. It is hard to find shoes and I wouldn't like it that way. So hubby decided as I wasn't in my right mind :blink: { too many drugs} he would go with what my surgeon told him.

If it will let you walk again, that may be the route you will have to take...but no one can make that decision for you.

Ya, it does really suck right now, but I am trying so hard to stay positive but seems like I'm going on a downer!

I have done great all these years. I think I know what is causing the pain...but not sure if making a prosthesis a certain way is going to help. Kinda hard to explain....lol. Anyways, I can walk but it hurts!

If all else fails I think I will have no choice but to amputate below the knee. I am worried though. From what I have read on here there are others who have amputations that are higher than me and they are having problems too. I just don't want to be worse off!

Thanks for your input!

Mary

If all else fails I think I will have no choice but to amputate below the knee. I am worried though. From what I have read on here there are others who have amputations that are higher than me and they are having problems too. I just don't want to be worse off!

Thanks for your input!

Mary

I hear ya, Sista! Nerve-wracking business, to say the least. If you do decide to amputate, then how high?

Through the ankle? <-- I would not recommend as you can't get an adjustable foot for heels.

Just above the ankle?

How far below the knee?

One prosthetis told me to get more cut off. he said, "If it's broken, fix it". Easy for him to say. Another prosthetis told me not to have more taken off. he said, "You always want to keep as much length as possible".

I agree with you though, you don't want to trade your current issues with new/different issues. But then again, what if you have no new issues? Or the issues you will have are not the pain-filled problems you are having now but instead easier to fix function and cosmetic issues.

I feel for you. :unsure:

The good news is that there is no 'deadline' for when you must decide by and you are attempting everything to preserve what you have. Hopefully, it will all get worked out. If it turns out a revision is in order, you'll at least have exhausted everything else first and will feel more confident about that decision.

We're all here for support with whatever decisions you do have to make.

Take care,

Amy

I chose to amputate after a sever but very low compound tib/fib break, it was right above the ankle. It never did heal to my satisfaction and had other issue not to mention a very large skin graph that was producing blood clots. After deciding that amputation was the best thing for me to do this brought me to the next big question, how high should I go up? So my next step was to start doing my homework on the products (feet) that were on the market and seeing which ones I liked and seeing how much room they needed to be used. I ended up having Jan Ertl do my amputation and Jan really is an amputation speciallist so we just sat down and designed my amputation and the height we decided on was pretty much mid calf. The longer your stump the more leverage you have. The longer your stump the fewer products you can use. Before deciding on the amputation, I suggest doing all the reading you can about the products (feet, socket systems, liners, sleeves, amputation techniques) that are out there and once you find some you like then talk to your prosthetist (or any/many prosthetist(s) for that matter) and then decide from there. For me it was the correct choice and by doing my homework before hand I avoided alot of the problems other people have had.

I chose to amputate after a sever but very low compound tib/fib break, it was right above the ankle. It never did heal to my satisfaction and had other issue not to mention a very large skin graph that was producing blood clots. After deciding that amputation was the best thing for me to do this brought me to the next big question, how high should I go up? So my next step was to start doing my homework on the products (feet) that were on the market and seeing which ones I liked and seeing how much room they needed to be used. I ended up having Jan Ertl do my amputation and Jan really is an amputation speciallist so we just sat down and designed my amputation and the height we decided on was pretty much mid calf. The longer your stump the more leverage you have. The longer your stump the fewer products you can use. Before deciding on the amputation, I suggest doing all the reading you can about the products (feet, socket systems, liners, sleeves, amputation techniques) that are out there and once you find some you like then talk to your prosthetist (or any/many prosthetist(s) for that matter) and then decide from there. For me it was the correct choice and by doing my homework before hand I avoided alot of the problems other people have had.

I was wondering how you like the mid calf amputaton? Do you have any problems? I just thought the next step is below the knee. But that's how much I know..lol. I guess if I get to that point of making that kind of decision I will absolutely do my home work and look into all the info before hand.

Thanks!

Mary

I was wondering how you like the mid calf amputaton? Do you have any problems? I just thought the next step is below the knee. But that's how much I know..lol. I guess if I get to that point of making that kind of decision I will absolutely do my home work and look into all the info before hand.

Thanks!

Mary

Hi Amy!

Yes, the good news is I have no limit to when I need to decide. I am going to keep on trying. Although my prosthetist is NOT listening to me. They think they know all the answers but they don't. I know my body!! I Have to deal with my foot everyday so......if he doesn't start listening well I will go see someone else!!

I have decided to go see another plastic surgeon as well. Just to get a second opinion. I can't give up yet!

I am under so much stress that I am in a depression......had to start taking antidepressants today. Didn't want to BUT it's either take medication or end up in the hospital from a break down. It's awful....depressed and shaking. I could cry all day!

Urgh.....I will survive!!!

If it gets to that point when I have to decide to amputate higher I will go get all the info I have to. I have no idea how much higher. I just thought below the knee. I will definately get lots of info first.

Well, I'm off to J.E Hangars, where I go for my prosthesis. Hope I get somw where today?!!

Thanks!

Mary

Hi Amy!

Yes, the good news is I have no limit to when I need to decide. I am going to keep on trying. Although my prosthetist is NOT listening to me. They think they know all the answers but they don't. I know my body!! I Have to deal with my foot everyday so......if he doesn't start listening well I will go see someone else!!

I have decided to go see another plastic surgeon as well. Just to get a second opinion. I can't give up yet!

I am under so much stress that I am in a depression......had to start taking antidepressants today. Didn't want to BUT it's either take medication or end up in the hospital from a break down. It's awful....depressed and shaking. I could cry all day!

Urgh.....I will survive!!!

If it gets to that point when I have to decide to amputate higher I will go get all the info I have to. I have no idea how much higher. I just thought below the knee. I will definately get lots of info first.

Well, I'm off to J.E Hangars, where I go for my prosthesis. Hope I get somw where today?!!

HELLO!

I haven't been on my computer had a virus, I finally got it fixed. Nice to be back!!

So, I have been thinking that my problem has been the skin.....but I think it could be the bone? One Dr said the skin looks good. It is red......everyone says something different and it confuses me more!!! At this point I have no idea what to do?!!! I feel so sick...I wish I knew what to do?!!

Mary