Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Higgy

Question about Peg legs

Has anyone used a peg leg.... or more specifically the Trowbridge Terra-Round foot?

I've seen one in pictures, but never talked with anyone who used it. I've also thought about getting one.

I've worn a peg leg, not one of these, but a pegleg all the same... they are very light, but not having a knee is not something I could do for long...

I used to use one when getting wet in and around a boat before and after waterskiing, then to a fancy dress party when I went as Long John Silver...

Same question and reason as Higgy here, but I've also heard of a product called the Stomper and Stomper Jr http://www.oandp.com/articles/news_2005-03-07_15.asp so I'm not sure which would be best to use the Stomper or the Trowbridge http://ferrier.coupler.com/model_t5.htm I like that the Trowbridge has a pivot and can conform to different angles where the Stomper looks big and stable so yes anyone with exp. with these 2 please fill us in.

I'm not sure of the particular "foot" involved, but I do have a friend who has a peg leg as his water leg. I've only seen it a couple of times...the tip resembles the "Stomper," Tiger, but the functionality is more like the Trowbridge, with a flexible ankle and the ability to do a full pivoting turn. I've handled this leg, and it's unusually light.

Since I've also been saving for a water leg — and have finally gathered the funds for one — I'm also interested in "what to use as a foot." Surely we have some peg leg users out there who can offer advice!

This is all coming about because the water leg that I have been using for seven years is starting to show wear.. Occasionally, it will make a slight "crunch" sound which is no doubt, a pretty apparent signal that it is about had the course..

I hadn't heard of specific names on the feet....just seen them on a few people..My CPO has used a few of the Trowbridge on a few of his...he seems really satisfied with it, and it only weigh in at about 15 ounces..... I think I really like the fact that it has a little give to it for uneven surfaces..

One of the people in the peer visitor training here last year, uses one on a daily basis.. He worked construction and said that this Trowbridge Terra Round give him more flexiblity than any of the feet he had worn.. It's his full time leg now..

I fashioned my own "peg-leg" for when I go ATV riding. Still use a regular socket, but we used a rubber plug stop at the bottom of the pylon for a foot. It's a little crude, no knee joint but it is light and dust, water & mud won't hurt it. It isn't the easiest thing to walk on but we shortened it a bit to make it easier to gait without the knee joint.

I wanted to let you know that I got the Trowbridge Terra Round foot and I really like it. If I don't watch out, it could soon be my foot of choice for the farm. It seems very forgiving... A little fast at first but I like the flex that it has with the pivot on it..I think it took all of about 10 minutes to really get used to it in the CP's office while he was working on another of my legs... I like that the bottom of the foot has a "gripper" sort of texture to it for traction... sort of like the bath tubs do in the last 10 years or so.... All in all, I am extremely pleased with it... :smile:

Thanks for the update... I was about to ask you if you'd gotten the leg and how you liked the foot!

I get casted for my new SOCKETS (regular and water-leg) this afternoon. We're still discussing components for the water leg, and my "guys" at this point are leaning toward an actual foot. I may ask them about the Terra Round.

Thanks for the update... I was about to ask you if you'd gotten the leg and how you liked the foot!

I get casted for my new SOCKETS (regular and water-leg) this afternoon. We're still discussing components for the water leg, and my "guys" at this point are leaning toward an actual foot. I may ask them about the Terra Round.

Cheryl,

I had a regular foot for 7 years.. It was the first sach foot that I had gotten... it was just wearing out and making these crunching sounds at times.Tends to make a person loose faith in it, that's for sure..This peg is really nice, but you are only walking on about 4.5 inches of peg... Go and check it out at the Ferrier site.. If I had the link on this computer I would post it, but, sadly, at this point, I'm on the laptop.. Just be advised that it is a "quick" foot, but it sure has good mobility..

Does somebody know whether exist an articulation for a pegleg in order to bend the pegleg when sitting down or in the car and to lock it afterwards again?I think it would be a good solution as a reserve pros when travellingand you have some tecnical problem with your normal pros.

Joachim

LAK + LAE