Heather Mills - Amputee Forum

I was thinking it would be nice to have an amputee site that you can chat online. Something like " Facebook."

I think it would be an easier way to communicate?! Maybe I'm wrong, but what do you think?

Mary

There are several amputee groups on Facebook...

I know there is a lot of amputee groups on fb. I meant to have an online website for amputees. This forum is great don't get me wrong.....but I would prefer to chat online similar to facebook.

There are several amputee groups on Facebook...

I know there is a lot of amputee groups on fb. I meant to have an online website for amputees. This forum is great don't get me wrong.....but I would prefer to chat online similar to facebook.

Mary,

Skype, Yahoo, and AOL all offer great Chat tools. Skype has the best Voice and video. Yahoo is easy to conference with. I use them all from time to time and that is how I know. Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Windows Live Messenger as well :rolleyes:

Hi Mary,

I think that would be a wonderful idea. A great opportunity for amputees to talk about not only their amputation but their lives if they choose. How would you organise this????

Well it would need an organizer for starters, than a mutual time, and finally participants. I would be happy to help the process along. Any other takers?

Hi Mary,

I think that would be a wonderful idea. A great opportunity for amputees to talk about not only their amputation but their lives if they choose. How would you organise this????

Well I'll help anyone I can... Jerry

P.S. been an amp for 26 years......

Hi!

I was thinking the same, that's why I asked if others would agree to having an online chat. To be able to talk to other amputees about their problems or even about their lives like someone mentioned.

I am in the process of talking to people about how to go about this. I will let you know what I come up with. Right now I have lots of time on my hands...lol. I have the time to do this!

Mary

Howdy all!

Just got the new InMotion and saw in the pages that the ACA now has a online forum.

Has anyone checked it out?

It would be great to start getting more of us together.

Only 1 week untill football camps start. I can't wait....... :biggrin:

As for me that would be really a great idea to have an on-line chat with more "experienced" amputees and talk about different amp stuff, for example via skype . :biggrin: I have so many questions . :rolleyes:

i have to agree with mary it would be nice to have somthing like facebook chat, it ok useing skyp messanger etc but if there was a chat option then anyone could join in from this site rather than having to pass our messanger ids around, just a general chatroom on here would be so much better than skyp msn etc, i'm yet to find a site like this were you have the option to either go on to the forum posts or into a chatroom, it deff can't be a bad thing especialy for new amputees who realy don't need to be reading thread after thread to maby settle a concerne that they may have when all it may take is to come into the chatroom and then for them to say (hello) can anyone help? it could possibly be a instant reply to there concerne rather than having to wait until somebody reads there forum post,, just my thourts

post-2663-1270610498_thumb.jpg

post-2663-1270610563_thumb.jpg

i have to agree with mary it would be nice to have somthing like facebook chat, it ok useing skyp messanger etc but if there was a chat option then anyone could join in from this site rather than having to pass our messanger ids around, just a general chatroom on here would be so much better than skyp msn etc, i'm yet to find a site like this were you have the option to either go on to the forum posts or into a chatroom, it deff can't be a bad thing especialy for new amputees who realy don't need to be reading thread after thread to maby settle a concerne that they may have when all it may take is to come into the chatroom and then for them to say (hello) can anyone help? it could possibly be a instant reply to there concerne rather than having to wait until somebody reads there forum post,, just my thourts

Point made. This subject has always been on the table, but has not come to fruition. Your input is appreciated.

Chat has always seemed like an interesting option to me, but I've participated in a couple of attempts at establishing an "amp chat space"...there are some complications involved that I'd be thrilled if someone could figure out how to overcome.

The primary concern for our little group is that we're scattered all over the world, in various time zones, and there are not a lot of us who are active posters. One brief attempt at chatting, a few years back, resulted in folks signing in to the chat room, finding themselves in there alone, and then signing out. There had to be a concerted effort to set a "meeting time"...which always managed to be "impossible" for at least a few time zones. The Brits sometimes managed to do some chatting, but the rest of us were "catch as catch can" and it was generally frustrating! (My being on the west coast of the US put me on a really separate schedule from the Brits and even some of the east-coasters. Our Aussies were even further out-of-sync...and then there were folks in Asia, Canadians, you-name it!) Anyone have a suggestion??

The "advantage" to the forum posts is that the discussions are categorized, so if you're coming here with minimal time, you're not having to read through reams and reams of idle chat and folks saying things like, "Hi...is anyone here?" and then going away. The "disadvantage," of course, is that you have to wait until someone reads your post to get an answer to your question. Again, anyone have some clever ideas?

An admission on my part...I'm a complete and utter novice at FB!

An admission on my part...I'm a complete and utter novice at FB!

We need to get you on facebook, something that you would not regret.

I agree, JV. Facebook is great, Cheryl.

not sure how this would work but i notice as you read a topic it lists at the bottom how many members are reading it and who they are so you can tell who is online, if you were able to do what face book does and allow the members to chat or to give people the option to chat with the people that are reading. it may be something

I still think it's a great idea and would love to get this going.....not sure where to start? Just like facebook, I am friends with some people on facebook from this site. It's great when you can go directly online and chat. It would be very helpful, healing etc... to many amputees. I know it has been for me on facebook talking to other amputees.

Mary

I still think it's a great idea and would love to get this going.....not sure where to start? Just like facebook, I am friends with some people on facebook from this site. It's great when you can go directly online and chat. It would be very helpful, healing etc... to many amputees. I know it has been for me on facebook talking to other amputees.

Mary

Thank you for all of your input. I will see what I can do, and if it's possible to make it happen on this forum.

Our Aussies were even further out-of-sync...

:unsure:

No we aren't it all you guys :tongue:

I was the creator of that original chatroom that was specifically for us. It didn't so much fail and fade away.

The best idea is to use Yahoo, Msn or Skype

They all have the capacity for text, voice and multiple chat.

My suggestion has always been that we get each other on any, or all, of those and leave them open while we do other things.

In my experience people will drop in and drop out and if it's already on then you can catch them easily. It really does work.

If anyone needs help doing this and they really want to send me a message and I'll give what help I can :biggrin:

Chat is also available on facebook but it's fairly primitive and not very reliable sometimes.

Our Aussies were even further out-of-sync...

:unsure:

No we aren't it all you guys :tongue:

I was the creator of that original chatroom that was specifically for us. It didn't so much fail and fade away.

The best idea is to use Yahoo, Msn or Skype

They all have the capacity for text, voice and multiple chat.

My suggestion has always been that we get each other on any, or all, of those and leave them open while we do other things.

In my experience people will drop in and drop out and if it's already on then you can catch them easily. It really does work.

If anyone needs help doing this and they really want to send me a message and I'll give what help I can :biggrin:

Chat is also available on facebook but it's fairly primitive and not very reliable sometimes.

I loved the original chatroom. It is a good idea and great to chat live however, it was very difficult to catch up with residents of different time zones, unless, of cause you are prepared to sacrifice your sleep. :biggrin: