Heather Mills - Amputee Forum

Hi! Well, I know its been a while since I've written so heres an update. I had the prosthetic on my left leg redone, from a suction fit to a pin fit. What a difference! :) I am back to walking with 2 forearm canes, no more walker. Its still is a battle, but I am making progress. The biggest issue is getting my abs in shape and stretching my thigh muscles so I can stand straighter when I walk. If I can figure out how to post a picture I'll try to put one on to show you. Don't be scared when and if you see it. :o :lol:

post-8-1078773016.jpg

You look great!!! If you don't feel like your body is upright enough maybe it's because the forearm canes need to be adjusted. Sometimes if they are to short we will lean forward to compensate. Just a thought. Keep up the good work and please keep us posted.

Brenda

I agree with Brenda, your looking great.

When I first got my leg, I had a tendency to lean forward onto the crutches until I got my balance right. But with time and experience I started to walk 'upright'. I think that gaining confidence helped me a lot.

Best regards

Steve

It is funny to have you comment that you went from a suction fit to a pin. I did the same. Everyone is talking up the "new" suction liners but mine was nothing but pain, sucked on the end of my stump all the time. HURT! I have just a sleeve for now, while the end of my stump heals, then I will get a pin liner this week. Glad to hear I am not the only one!

judy

I'm glad you posted Vince. I've been wondering about ya. I can certainly empathize with all you are going through. I'm doing it myself. Looking at the picture, I can hear them telling you not to look down. It's hard not to do isn't it? How do you like those knees? Don't wait so long to update us again.

Kep

Hi,

You look like you are getting the hang of it. Do the shoe laces come loose when you walk? I'm not an amputee and was curious if this would be an annoyance issue. You need to get outside and dirty those up a bit :P

Walk on,

Lark

Lark,

You're right the shoes are a bit white!! I never have problem with my shoe on the prosthetic foot coming untied it's always my meat foot... Go figure.

Brenda

Thanks to everyone for all the kind words. I am truly blessed to have the opportunity to walk again. And to anyone out there please try to take advantage to walk again if possible. It is very hard work, but the pay off is worth it! Again thanks for all the words of encouragement.

keep going like everyone says you look great