Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Mary Farquhar

Has This Ever Happened To You?

Here I am again! LOL....something happened to me today and I couldn't believe what I heard.

I called my foot guys secretary. Well......she's new, has been there a while now. Seems like we have never clicked for some reason and I have only dealt with her over the phone. It's been at least 4 times that she tells me she will get my

foot guy to call back or one of the guys who knows me. No one ever calls me back. So, today I called and asked if there was room to see my prosthetist and she tells me he won't be doing clinic Thursday. Then I asked to see someone else because it's just to sand down bumpy areas in my old prosthesis. Anyways, she tells me she will get someone to call me back. Thinking to myself ya right. I called back at this other area in the building to another secretary and that secretary put me right through to talk to someone. That person got me an appointment THURSDAY! Oh thought there was no clinic Thursday??? Man, I was mad at that secretary but......ha not over. The other secretary calls me in the afternoon and gives me s..t. She said this and I quote " you called 2x's this morning and then you go and talk to this person and you bother 2 people." Oh I am bothering.....it's not your job?!!!! I was sooo mad at what she said. I mean she is French maybe she didn't know another word, I do live in Quebec....hahaa..but still. I think that is so unprofessional??? And look she lied to me about there being no clinic.....like at this point I need to see my foot guy. I am completely in need of help so I need to see him! She went on and I just told her the truth....you never have anyone call me back. Blah balh...so that's what happened.

I have been going there for 18 years and I never had this problem. If things don't get better I think I will go some where else!!! I'm not getting too far with my prosthesis either, feel like I'm going in circles!

Here I am again! LOL....something happened to me today and I couldn't believe what I heard.

I called my foot guys secretary. Well......she's new, has been there a while now. Seems like we have never clicked for some reason and I have only dealt with her over the phone. It's been at least 4 times that she tells me she will get my

foot guy to call back or one of the guys who knows me. No one ever calls me back. So, today I called and asked if there was room to see my prosthetist and she tells me he won't be doing clinic Thursday. Then I asked to see someone else because it's just to sand down bumpy areas in my old prosthesis. Anyways, she tells me she will get someone to call me back. Thinking to myself ya right. I called back at this other area in the building to another secretary and that secretary put me right through to talk to someone. That person got me an appointment THURSDAY! Oh thought there was no clinic Thursday??? Man, I was mad at that secretary but......ha not over. The other secretary calls me in the afternoon and gives me s..t. She said this and I quote " you called 2x's this morning and then you go and talk to this person and you bother 2 people." Oh I am bothering.....it's not your job?!!!! I was sooo mad at what she said. I mean she is French maybe she didn't know another word, I do live in Quebec....hahaa..but still. I think that is so unprofessional??? And look she lied to me about there being no clinic.....like at this point I need to see my foot guy. I am completely in need of help so I need to see him! She went on and I just told her the truth....you never have anyone call me back. Blah balh...so that's what happened.

I have been going there for 18 years and I never had this problem. If things don't get better I think I will go some where else!!! I'm not getting too far with my prosthesis either, feel like I'm going in circles!

Mary,

There are times that I feel like I'm not getting taken care of the way that I deseve to be.

There are times that I feel like I am high maintenance or a diificult patient to take care of.

There are times when I feel like the clinician has lost interest in me and would prefer to work with other patients.

Now any one of these negative perceptions that I may be having, however true or false that they are can get in the way of my progress. In order for me to succeed, I have to be open and willing to look at everything in the right light and keep out of the darkness.

You continue to be the squeaky wheel and advocate for yourself. Don't take anyone's ignorance personal and rise above it. You be the bigger person.

On a side note Mary, I can tell from all of your threads that you have created here on this forum, that you are going through a very challenging time in your life. We are here to help you keep your head on straight, but slow down with your expectations, and try and take baby steps with your progress. The traumatic stress of anticipation of a cure can create a nuerosis that can take away from the ability to make an educated effective decision.

Wait for your stump to heal. Don't worry about your prosthesis, prosthetist or any revision surgery at this point. While you are waiting, look for a Physical Rehabilitation Doctor (aka Phosiatrist) that is familiar with treating patients with limb loss, in particular a chopart amputation. Rehabilitation Hospitals are the best places to find them. If you have to travel to find one, it would be worth it to see one to help you understand more clearly, and help you to validate your options. Chopart amputation can still be an option for you. You just need to take your time here, try and relax, and gather as much information so that you can make as educated of a decision as you possibly can. Your fear of making the worng choice and having to pay for it later on hits home. Yes it has happened to me. And when it happens, I have no tollerance for ignorance, but it turns out to be my loss.

Take care and be well!

Hi Mary

In answer to your question. Yes - had similar

There are times that I feel like I'm not getting taken care of the way that I deseve to be.

There are times that I feel like I am high maintenance or a diificult patient to take care of.

There are times when I feel like the clinician has lost interest in me and would prefer to work with other patients.

Now any one of these negative perceptions that I may be having, however true or false that they are can get in the way of my progress. In order for me to succeed, I have to be open and willing to look at everything in the right light and keep out of the darkness.

Liked these words Johnny V. You have evidently 'walked the walk"!

Mary - Stick with it, its not always an easy road, I know, but thought Johnny V's answer was a good one.

Hi Mary

Mary - Stick with it, its not always an easy road, I know, but thought Johnny V's answer was a good one.

Hi!

Yes, I realize that I am expecting a quick fix only because I have been taking baby steps for 2 years now and I am still in the same place!! If it was my prosthesis then staying off my foot would be helping but it's not. It's worse now then 2 years ago. I believe it's just the skin worn down by 18 years of wear and tear. Now to get my plastic surgeon to listen!! One of my foot guys is starting to believe it too. FINALLY!!

I do have a rehabilitation Dr. He has been thinking the same as me.....but all he can do is refer me to other Dr's as he is no surgeon.

I have a chopart amputation.....I would need a revision on the skin. My plastic surgeon said " he doesn't think it would take the pain away, and it probably won't work? Does anyone have an idea???

Mary

Hi Mary

Hi!

Yes, I realize that I am expecting a quick fix only because I have been taking baby steps for 2 years now and I am still in the same place!! If it was my prosthesis then staying off my foot would be helping but it's not. It's worse now then 2 years ago. I believe it's just the skin worn down by 18 years of wear and tear. Now to get my plastic surgeon to listen!! One of my foot guys is starting to believe it too. FINALLY!!

I do have a rehabilitation Dr. He has been thinking the same as me.....but all he can do is refer me to other Dr's as he is no surgeon.

I have a chopart amputation.....I would need a revision on the skin. My plastic surgeon said " he doesn't think it would take the pain away, and it probably won't work? Does anyone have an idea???

Mary

OH BTW, thanks Johnny for the message. What you said is making me take a step back and I am trying to look at my situation differently. It is hard as I am already depressed, and have anxiety. I'm trying to keep it all together.

Does anyone have an idea???

Mary

Determine the cause of your pain first. If there is something that you can stop doing in order to eliminate it, you've made progress. Get other opinions and search out the answer from experienced professionals. Second and third opinions are worth your time.

When I had to give permission to have my leg amputated because I had a cancerous tumor growing in my left foot, it was the most difficult decisions that I ever had to make in my life. I lost weight and had to go on a medication called Kylonopin in order to calm me down. I developed a severe traumatic stress from having to go down to Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Hospital in New York City, because I didn't like what I was being told, 'I had to have my leg amputated’. I did not want to have my leg amputated, no way no how. I wanted to find an alternative. It was not something that I could avoid. I had cancer and it was deadly. So I went ahead with it after chickening out of two scheduled surgeries. I was very proud of myself once that I had it taken care of. It was a load off of my head. I had to learn how to deal with my limb loss. It took a while to recover even though I started walking on my prosthetic leg 6 weeks post op. I had other issues at home that added to it. Fortunately I had my daughter who was 3 years old at the time to help me make it through. She was my focal point. I had to survive for her.

That is my story, different yet similar in some way to yours. You need to make a decision as I did. You have time to look into your options, where I didn’t. Had I looked into my options and known about the Ertl amputation procedure, I would have had it done. Stress can get in the way of being able to think clearly. That’s when having someone to help advocate for you can be a God send. I had a number of family members who showed their support, but no one who I got really connected with. I had no one who could really understand or help me to explore my options more clearly. I was without peer support unlike you.

I hope that will help you.

OH BTW, thanks Johnny for the message. What you said is making me take a step back and I am trying to look at my situation differently. It is hard as I am already depressed, and have anxiety. I'm trying to keep it all together.
I know that you are Mary. You are advocating for yourself, and that is what got you here on this forum. Give yourself credit as you should.

I know that you are Mary. You are advocating for yourself, and that is what got you here on this forum. Give yourself credit as you should.

I really appreciate what you have said, and thanks for sharing your story. Wow, I'm sure that it was difficult for you too?! I'm glad your doing well!!!

I got out today with a friend and visited my sister. Yup had 2 glasses of wine out side in the gazebo. I had a nice afternoon and got my mind off things. Monday and yesterday I thought I was going to have to go to the hospital. I was sooo sick and had lots of anxiety. It's the mornings I hate. I feel awful....but I can say I had a nice afternoon. My friend is on vacation and we visited my sister and sat outside in the gazebo and sipped on some wine. It got my mind off everything for a while.

I am looking into seeing other Dr's and getting other opinions. So, that could take a while......darn health system!

Thanks Johnyy V!!!!

I had minor issues with my prosthetist's secretary always trying to schedule me a week or two out when I needed service immediately. I got around this by just bypassing her and contacting him directly. He always slips me in, schedule be damned.

Eventually the office staff got used to me and now they just accommodate me and fit me in when I call because they know that I usually just need a quick in-and-out adjustment and that if they don't, I'll just bypass them anyway.

I had minor issues with my prosthetist's secretary always trying to schedule me a week or two out when I needed service immediately. I got around this by just bypassing her and contacting him directly. He always slips me in, schedule be damned.

Eventually the office staff got used to me and now they just accommodate me and fit me in when I call because they know that I usually just need a quick in-and-out adjustment and that if they don't, I'll just bypass them anyway.

HI!

That's what I did, I by passed her her by contacting the front desk as they know me well. They have always let me talk directly to my foot guy. That's why she was upset with me. BUT I now don't trust her because she told me there was no clinic Thursday ( today) and when I talked to someone else she gave me an appointment. Well actually it's for Friday but the secretary didn't give me one at all!!!

This secretary never lets me talk to anyone. She seems to have an excuse for them. The are either busy or will call me back and they never do.

Anyways....I asked the front desk if I'm allowed to talk to my foot guy and she said yes, and if they are busy they will tell me to take a meesage. That's all. So from now on, I go by the front desk!!!

Mary