Heather Mills - Amputee Forum

my prosthetic person gave me samples of certain dri they said to put it on at night before bed and it might help keep down sweating ( im a right below the knee ) cause when i do get released to go back work and the fire dept it is pretty warm so i was wondering what others use i already ask my prosthetic place now asking all you on this great site .

I was reading the info on that product certain dri and you put it on your stump and areas you want to slow down on the sweating its really for the under arms but i'm told you can use it for this too , you apply it at bedtime and let it dry over night and it shrinks the pores , so i'll see how it works . i haven't seen any replys yet i thought i posted a stupid question on this .

Not a stupid question. I actually have some. I used it a couple of times but when I went to the vacuum system I didn't need it anymore. I also hear Secret Clinical works well. But then you'd probably smell like a girl.... :tongue:

hello

yes, my prosthetist suggested i use an anti perspirant (not deordorant) on my leg, too, i have a sleeve and, when i work out, walk far, sweat, the sleeve slips down,

i only tried it a few times, not great results but i need to keep trying

and not so bad to smell like a girl,, better than a stinky guy, LOL

much joy to all

sue

not sure if this helps but, since my last socket which is ak seal in with 5 rings, i hardly notice any sweat when i take the liner off. so it makes me believe that a better fit of the socket causes you to put less effort while walking , therefore you sweat less...and I live in Israel, we have some quite tropical weather conditions - at summer 70-80% humidity.

Not a stupid question. I actually have some. I used it a couple of times but when I went to the vacuum system I didn't need it anymore. I also hear Secret Clinical works well. But then you'd probably smell like a girl.... :tongue:

ha ha :biggrin: hey if it works i don't care if i smell like a girl , being a firefighter and working in the shop all day it might be a good thing i wouldn't smell nasty huh :smile: , i know when i go to work out now to get back into shape i'm sweating more and i just want to be clean and odor free and no slipping problems on my stump area to cause any soreness , cause of that sleeve i have to pull up is like a blanket to me thanks for the replys

you apply it at bedtime and let it dry over night and it shrinks the pores

Color me ignorant, but I thought a dermatologist told me that the aluminum chloride 'clogs' the pores so that they can't sweat. Maybe I misunderstood or have a faulty memory. :tongue: Just beware that it can be uncomfortable. The 1 time I tried it on my leg, I had to get up and wash it off because it was causing so much itching. When I would use it under my arms, rather than putting it on as I went to bed, I would put it on right after my shower and let it dry while I was doing my hair and makeup. :biggrin: It worked great under my arms! But then I had surgery and so no longer need it.

I also hear Secret Clinical works well. But then you'd probably smell like a girl.... :tongue:

I use Secret Clinical (under my arms) and like it a lot. But then again, since my surgery I probably don't need to wear it; I'm just too afraid not to wear it. I've never tried it on my leg. I use the 'light and fresh scent' and it's delicate/faint enough that it doesn't compete with my perfume. They do not have an unscented yet.

the Secret Clinical the 'light and fresh scent i wouldn't smell like a girl with that one huh :biggrin:

You'd smell like a " fresh" guy....no pun intended!

:laugh: You two crack me up!! No, you would NOT smell feminine. Just fresh. :biggrin:

Real men sweat. Live with it. :cool:

Oh wait--I forgot...I'm taking to a firefighter. Sorry. Go with the Secret. :laugh:

Seriously, when I finish a run and take the liner off, I usually end up pouring water out. But it's never affected the fit or my comfort.

Oh wait--I forgot...I'm taking to a firefighter. Sorry. Go with the Secret. :laugh:

Seriously, when I finish a run and take the liner off, I usually end up pouring water out. But it's never affected the fit or my comfort.

its not that i'm worried about being sweaty in my occupations , its the odor and the possible discomfort from the sweat being trapped by the socks and liner , you have said in your posting stagger lee its never affected your fit or comfort after a run , thats why i'm on here asking these questions and asking my prosthetic person cause i'm a new amputee . So my prosthetic person told me about the certain dri and some of the ladies on here told me about the secret Clinical and both thought maybe it would help cut down any problems by applying it on my thigh and stump . :biggrin: and make me smell fresh as AmySkyDivr said ha ha , you know i really like the way everyone jokes and gets along on this site i'm glad to be a part of it .

its not that i'm worried about being sweaty in my occupations , its the odor and the possible discomfort from the sweat being trapped by the socks and liner , you have said in your posting stagger lee its never affected your fit or comfort after a run , thats why i'm on here asking these questions and asking my prosthetic person cause i'm a new amputee . So my prosthetic person told me about the certain dri and some of the ladies on here told me about the secret Clinical and both thought maybe it would help cut down any problems by applying it on my thigh and stump . :biggrin: and make me smell fresh as AmySkyDivr said ha ha , you know i really like the way everyone jokes and gets along on this site i'm glad to be a part of it .

I am finding it definitely affects the comfort of the stump, but whether thats because of skin grafting or because the stump has been not long revised I don't know. The weather has been hot here this week, and whilst I am not at the stage of 'pouring water' out the liner, but it definitely affects the comfort and I notice this pretty quickly when I am walking around in the heat. I usually end up taking it off and drying my leg and the liner as I had been warned about something called 'soggy stump' you can get when your stump is sitting in a pool of water - doesn't sound great. But am at my centre next week and will ask about these products.

None of the anti-perspirants worked for me. I used baby powder the first summer. Sweating was a huge problem then. I have since acclimated somewhat. I don't pour cups of sweat out when I take the liner off. I will still sweat when I do yard work or the occasional workout. I live in a humid area.

A friend of mine uses cotton make-up pads placed in the bottom of the liner to help absorb sweat. You can also try a sheath or 1-ply sock under the liner. It will allow the sweat to evaporate.

The Certain-Dri worked for me the first summer when I sweated so much.... Now, about the only time I really have a problem is when warm weather starts.... then, after about a week, my stump is acclimated and now sweating again..

The Certain Dri is has sort of a cumulative effect.. At first you use it every night, and then you can slow down to every other night, and then every couple of nights.... It worked ok for me....

The Certain-Dri worked for me the first summer when I sweated so much.... Now, about the only time I really have a problem is when warm weather starts.... then, after about a week, my stump is acclimated and now sweating again..

The Certain Dri is has sort of a cumulative effect.. At first you use it every night, and then you can slow down to every other night, and then every couple of nights.... It worked ok for me....

I've seen from the trail package they give me it does a good job , i just don't want a smell or any discomfort oh well i just don't want any problems , smelling or from wetness thanks for all the replys :smile:

None of the anti-perspirants worked for me. I used baby powder the first summer. Sweating was a huge problem then. I have since acclimated somewhat. I don't pour cups of sweat out when I take the liner off. I will still sweat when I do yard work or the occasional workout. I live in a humid area.

A friend of mine uses cotton make-up pads placed in the bottom of the liner to help absorb sweat. You can also try a sheath or 1-ply sock under the liner. It will allow the sweat to evaporate.

Neal - I use the Comfort Ag underliner. If I didn't wear it I would be pouring the sweat out.

JudyH

I forgot about the Comfort Ag liners. I've heard they are quite good.

I forgot about the Comfort Ag liners. I've heard they are quite good.

Neal,

Before I got the Comfort Ag underliners I could only wear my leg for an hour or two. Once I got them there is no stopping me. My record is 36 hours when I was at the hospital with my best friend. Sometimes it will be very wet when I take it off but it doesn't aggravate my le at ll.

JudyH

I also own a bottle of Certain Dry and it has worked for me. I cannot walk well if I have sweat in my liner. I get soggy squishy feelings with every step, not fun. I have to take it off and empty it out. (and my overall fit is really good, a brand new leg in the past few months....) So I would have to go with the group who says try it for a few days.

My prosthetist told me about it in my early days, five years ago, and I've owned a bottle ever since.

Just my three cents worth....

judy

Higgy - would the leg guy have Certain-Dri, or did you order yours? I'm thinking of trying it...

Lynne

Higgy - would the leg guy have Certain-Dri, or did you order yours? I'm thinking of trying it...

Lynne

I bought mine at the local CVS pharmacy Lynne... you should be able to pick it up there or at a Walgreen's or even possibly a Wal-Mart... Mine was a roll on that was packaged in an open front box. It's white with black and red print...

hello

yes, my prosthetist suggested i use an anti perspirant (not deordorant) on my leg, too, i have a sleeve and, when i work out, walk far, sweat, the sleeve slips down,

i only tried it a few times, not great results but i need to keep trying

and not so bad to smell like a girl,, better than a stinky guy, LOL

much joy to all

sue

shoot come top texas where its pver a 100 percent humidty in alot of areas .you will sweat just standing still and that socket will be full of sweat.

hi, i use the silipos silicone liner, & its the best thing, makes you sweat for the first time you wear it but after that, snug & dry all day, even at high temps on holiday

the ones i use are from america, so you should be able to get them

maggie