Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
EdSumner

Hello all.

Here's hoping that all goes well, Ed... :smile:

Hi Ed and welcome to a wonderful place to be, especially when you need friends, comfort and support, as well as some good answers.

I too wish you all the best. I'm sure it won't be long and you'll be up and about without the pain that you've had to endure for so long. Please stay in touch, when you can, as we'll be waiting to hear your progress.

Take care,

Sheila :smile:

Maine, USA

OUCH!!! Let me tell you fighting with a sawsall sure does hurt. LOL

I got to the hospital at 7 the other morning, and by 7:45 they were wheeling me into the operating room. The put the mask on me, gave me the shot though the IV or whatever it is the give you and I was out. I think I finally came around good about 2 Monday afternoon. I'm really surprised that the pain hasn't been to bad. Nothing like I thought it was going to be. It's really weird how it still feels like my foot is still there and feels like it has cramps in it. Doctor gave me a script for muscle relaxers and that makes it stop.

Doctor let me come home this morning. Sure will be glad when all of the darn morphine is out of my system so my butt will stop itching. The doctor came in the morning after my surgery and said they had done a biopsy on my foot and told me I had made the right choice in taking it off. Told me my heel bone was worse than the bone scan had shown. Doctor said since I had such big muscles in my calf area, that he was able to form a great looking stump on my leg. He also said with all the muscle it should give me a lot of padding and I shouldn't have any problems with walking on a proshthetic leg. He put me in a hard cast until I see him in his office next Wensday, then he will put me into a lighter fiberglass cast. Physical therapy came in on Tuesday morning to help me lern how to get up from setting down with a walker, and then be able to spin around and sit in a walker. Boy were they surprisised how easy I did that, seeing as to how I had been doing it following the last 3 surgeries. I just scooted to the edge of the bed, grabbed the walker, stood up, spun around on one foot, then sat down.

But anyway, I'm glad everything went real good and I'm back home. It really isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I guess I just need to sit around and heal up now. One good thing about this, the stay in the hospital I think broke me from my nicotine addiction to those dang cigarettees. Had one when I got in the van for the ride home and it was just nasty. Just throwed it out the window. Maybe I can finally kick the habit on them. Must admit though that I have smoked half of 2 more, but the tase made me put them out.

I really thank all of you for all your support. This was sure a hard choice to make. And I thank all of you for helping me with it.

Forgot to add, my doctor got a really good laugh Monday morning when he came in to see me in pre-op. There they were, 5 pretty hooker red painted toenails. He sais there shouldn't be any problem knowing which foot was coming off.

I would of loved to see the doc's face when he saw the red toenails..

I'm glad to hear that your pain is less,and that it sounds like you are getting along ok..

Now, it's just taking the time to heal... that always seems to be the hardest part I think...

Good luck with not smoking.... YOU CAN DO IT.... I'll have ten years come December 29th... Don't miss them a bit...

I'm glad everything went well for you! Now is when you need lots of patience!! Don't try to do too much and end up on the ground. Believe me, and I speak from experience, it's no fun and it really hurts!

Hey Ed. I glad everything worked out great for you.. I had soon many operations to try and repair my foot and then when they were done I could only walk 50 feet at a time. The bone infections kept coming back so I finally decided to amputate below the knee. My physical therapist told me to keep exercising my upper part of the leg so when I got my first prosthesis I was ready to go.. That was some great advice that she gave me. so take your time, heal up, and you'll be going before you know it. I wish I had this website when I had my amputation. Have a Great day and take care..

Jerry

Glad it all went well, Ed. I know that I was surprised after my own amp...compared to the pain I'd been in, post-surgery actually felt GOOD. Hope the same thing happens for you.

Now just listen to all of us and take it easy...healing happens in stages, not "all at once!" :smile:

Hey Ed,

As everyone else said I am glad things went well!! I think I had more things going on in my head as to what was going to go wrong and how HORRIBLE I thought the pain would be after that I was a mess when I went in for my surgery--When I woke up I was so relieved that it was done and it was not as bad as my mind was thinking it was going to be hahah!

The hardest part for me has been the WAITING for the prosthesis--I HATE waiting and for something this big and important to me it is driving me absolutely BONKERS!! I hope you have more patience that I do and hopefully the waiting through each step is tolerable for you!! It is good that it takes time though because then you will be completely healed and ready to go--

Glad it all went well Ed and enjoy the rest as the real work will start soon.

Ann

Great to hear all went well, Ed. You have such a great attitude you will do well. Like others have said, be patient and take the time necessary to heal. LUV the red toe nails!

Well it's been a week now since the surgery. I cannot believe how little pain I have had, until the rain started coming in today. For some reason it seems all I have been wanting to do is sleep. And when I say sleep I mean like 18 hours a day. Docotor prescribed me the Lortab 7.5's, Valium 10.5 MG, and the Lyrica 75 MG. I haven't taken anything but maybe 3 to 4 of the Lortabs each day and maybe one of the Valiums for the little bit of phantom pain when it occurs, and at most 3 of the Lyrica this past week for nerve ending pain. But all I have done is sleep. Today seems to have been a little better, maybe only slept 10 hours. Anyone else have this sleeping problem after their surgery? I know that sitting in this Lazy Boy since I got home last Thursday is sure getting old.

See the doctor tomorrow for my first post op visit. Lord how I pray he takes this big heavy plaster cast off my leg and gives me something much lighter. Feels like I have been dragging around a 50 pound sack of seed taters on my leg all week. I know that when they pull this cast off tomorrow, I'm going to spend an hour just scratching my leg from all the itching. LOL

Ed, I think you can link your sleep patterns to the drug cocktail that you are taking, especially the Lortab. Be very careful with them; very addicting.

Have you ever seen the TV show "House", about the Dr. addicted to Lortabs? Whoever the writers are; one definately has had experiences with Lortabs that mirror my own in the past.

If you don't lose the cast, try an unsharpened pencil. Just be careful you stay away from the stitch line.

Sleep is natural and it is good for healing. I was also in a cast following my amputation. It was so heavy they had to fabricate a belt to help hold everything up. It will amaze you when they take the cast off and you realize how light your leg is. When I raised my leg to see it for the first time, I almost threw it over my head. LOL

Sounds like you're doing great. Keep up the good rest. The work comes when you start the leg process. You'll need your energy then.

Well just got home from the docotrs office. Yipee I'm rid of that heavy darn plaster cast and have a much lighter fiber glass one now. All morning I was worried that my stump was going to me some freakish hunk of meat just sewn back onto my leg. Boy was I surprised when they took all the wrapping off. The stump looked awesome. My doctor did an awesome job on my leg. Surprisingly also I have had hardly no bleeding from it. Wife took pictures of it. Guess she thought I was a nut for wanting them. Maybe I can download them later and post them. I was so relieved to see how great my leg looked. Maybe it'll heal on up now and I won't be down that long. Would sure love to be up and moving so I can get my fall garden planted. Again thank all of you for your support. I don't think I could have made it this far without you fine folks here.

Hi Ed,

I haven't been on the forum much since the National Amputee Coalition of America (ACA) meeting--a must do for you next year. I am glad you are doing so well. It is a tough decision to make, but I made a similar decision--different circumstances--and it was the best one I could have made. I am back doing just about everything I use to do--including climbing ladders as renovation of the house continues. I walk well--thanks to the two ACA meetings. You have a great attitude and that will take you a long way.

As others have said patience is a good virtue, although I am probably not the one to preach that :happy: as it isn't my greatest virtue

Peace,

Beth Marie

Finally downloaded pics. These were taken 10 days after surgery. It sure looked better than I thought it would. Next appointment if tomorrow morning. Hopefully we are still healing well.

post-2539-1247634337_thumb.jpg

post-2539-1247634373_thumb.jpg

Saw my doctor again this morning. He said my leg was looking great, and that he may start pulling a few stitches out next week. I really think I made the right choice in having this done.

hi ed, glad to see you are coping well, being positive is the best thing.

i had elective amputation, bk like you 19 years ago, got rid of the pain & got on with my life!

once you get the new leg, there'll be no stopping you!!!!

maggie

Saw my doctor yesterday for the 3rd time since surgery, everything still healing great ans he removed a few of my stitches. Doctor had cast guy put on another cast yesterday. I guess I must have had some swelling in my leg yesterday when they put the new cast on. Got out of my chair this evening with my walker waiting for wife to roll my wheelchair up behind me and my darn cast slid almost all the way off my leg. Called the doctolrs office to let them know about it, so I have to go back to the office in the morning for a new cast to be put on. Weird having your cast just slide off like mine did. Prosthetics guy happened to be at my doctors office yesterday, and he said that the doctor had done a great job on my leg, and that he was going to be able to fit me really good with my legs when I was ready here in a few more weeks.

Well thanks to wear my cast fell off last week, and another cast that became very loose, it allowed about a 3 inch section of my leg pop the stitches and open up on the front of my leg. Went back in to see my doctor yesterday and he has scheduled me for surgery at 8:30 tomorrow morning to clean out the area real good and then stitch it back closed. Other than that my leg is healing really great. I should have known something would go wrong, everything was going to good. Seems it never fails for me.

Sorry to hear that, Ed. Hope you have a speedy recovery and that you'll soon be up and about. Seems there's always a bump in the road for us to get over. Keep us posted.