Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
EdSumner

Hello all.

Ouch. They just went ahead and did my surgery as an out patient. Surgery took about 40 minutes wife said then they kept me in recovery for a couple of hours. Got me dressed and sent me home. No more cast the doctor said. He said he is just going to keep me in a good splint under the bottom of my leg, then he wrapped it in the cotton bandage stuff, and then wrapped it real tight in the sticky Ace bandages. Doctor said it all looked really good, he just cleaned it up a little, the stitched it back up, plus went ahead and put some staples in it as well. I know it was sure hurting when I started coming around in recovery. Looks like I'm finally awake for a little bit. I have been sleeping just about the whole day since I got home. Throat was sure sore from where they stick whatever it is in your mouth after they knock you out to control your breathing. My wonderful wife stopped and bought me a big milk shake on the way home, and lord what a relief it was for my throat. Hopefully now, we are done and my leg will just go ahead and heal on up now.

Well, at least that's behind you. Take it easy and you'll soon be on your way.

Ed.

My doctor put me in a removable splint for the first night only....then my leg was just wrapped...I healed very quickly. Had stitches out within two weeks.

Was anyone else amputated with no cast?

I was never in a cast and my surgery was only about 3 months ago. One of my teammate had his removed 5 years ago and was in a cast for 4 weeks until it was time to go get fit for his leg. I am sure it is just the difference in each doctor.

Ed.

Was anyone else amputated with no cast?

I didn't have a cast after my amp. Immediately after the surgery, I had the gauze type bandages held in place with ace wraps. After a few days, the only bandage that I had was just to cover the suture line. I didn't even learn how to wrap my residual limb until after my first visit to the prosthetist.

Bryan

I had to think about that for a minute! I was in various types of casts for a full year prior to the amputation...but nothing except a thick bandage/wrap after it.

No casts for me either. Splints for the first week to help keep the knees straight, then ace bandages and stitches out within 2 weeks.

Does anyone know how the decision is made to cast or not to cast?

I think it's up to the surgeon. The nurse who cared for me said that Dr. Lewis liked to cast his amputation patients.

It is heavy. They made a belt for me to wear to help displace the weight. It was a happy day to get rid of that. They also made a removable plastic cast to wear from that day to when I got my first leg. I only wore it one day. Too hot.

I saw my doctor today. Except for the little bit of work they did in surgery last Thursday my leg is almost healed. I would say I am 3/4 healed now. Skin has closed up real well. I no longer have the cast, After my surgery last Thursday they made a splint out of plaster to go from the back of my mid thigh, around the stump, then up on top to just below my knee. They wrapped my leg in the cotton bandage first then put the splint on, then wrapped my leg with the sticky ace bandages. It has sure been much better. When the wrapped my leg back up today, they went back with the same method thanks to me telling them I wanted it, and because of how I told them it was much better. Doctor also removed all the stitches today except for where they operated last week. I have 2 sections about a inch and a half long left to heal. Leg is really looking good now.

I have been messaging through Myspace with a fellow by the name of Mario from Croatia the past few weeks. I told him of the forums here and of all the great support you people give to one another. He is scheduled to have a below the knee amputation finally on Friday. I ask that all of you keep him in your prayers.

I'm glad things are going well for you! I know how good it felt when i finally got my stitches out. When do you see Johnny again? He's been swamped lately. They're working short handed right now.

I think I have the same Mario from Croatia on my Facebook friends list. I've only chatted with him a couple of times. He seems like a nice guy.

I hope you continue to improve without anymore setbacks!!

Bryan

Well it's been a while since I have been on. Still haven't got a leg yet. After the 2nd surgery to sew my leg back up where it popped the stitches, they popped again. So doctor referred me to wound care to let it heal by itself. I have been doing hypraberic chamber oxygen treatments 2 hours each day, for the last 6 weeks, so leg is almost finally healed. Wound care doc asked me to do another 10 days of the chamber today to get it healed on up. Just have one small spot left to heal, then I can see about being fitted with my new leg. Almost there, never thought it would take this long.

Ed, I did hyperbarics. In the end, 75 treatments. Was a good thing, all in all. Hang in there.

Hello Ed. I too have been away from here for a while. I'm a DAK. Lost both legs while working at the railroad back in 2003. I did try prosthetics for 2 years, but it wasn't for me. I'm sure you'll do just fine when you get yours. Sorry it is taking so long for you to get it. But once you do you'll be just as good as before. Hang in there. :smile: