Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
EdSumner

Has anyone painted their prosthetic leg?

So there my wife and I were last weekend walking around the flea market here in Mobile. When we came both the both where there is a gentleman who does air brush paintings for t-shirts, license plates and such. Stand there was an older genlteman on crutches. I had to stop and just watch what the man was painting. The man on crutches had taken off his leg and handed it to the painter. He had painted the leg crimson red, then painted the logo pictured below on it. It was the most awesome thing I think I have ever seen. It was a leg like I will be getting for below the knee amputees. Now I have got it in my head that I would like to have mine painted as well. It was just to funny.

alabama_logo.gif

Ed, there are lots of wonderful, creative things that can be done with the looks of a prosthesis... there's even a thread somewhere on here about "things people have on their leg."

Mine is not wonderfully creative, so I can't offer advice...except that I know it's easier and more durable if you're doing it while having a new leg made, as the design can then be laminated right into the socket.

Neal has a pretty spiffy leg... perhaps he can give you details!

I have a leg with peace signs laminated into (onto?) the socket! It's the greatest leg ever. They did it with a T shirt I bought.

They can laminate just about anything onto the socket. Slightly stretchy like t-shirt material works the best. There is also a guy who does airbrush painting on the sockets. He will be at ACA.

hi i have a swimming leg which is pink with white stars on it! very nice, you can see me coming!

maggie

Sounds delightful, maggie! My current water leg is cut-rate plain ol' white plastic...however, once I get my new socket we're planning on turning my current "regular" socket into the basis for my water leg. So then I'll have a water leg that looks a little like birds-eye maple!