Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
stubby

Introducing myself

My girlfriend and I have been lingering around here for awhile. Actually, she is the one who found this site and introduced me to it. I guess I it is time I introduce myself to all you good people. (she is actually writing this for me because she is a much better writer)

My story started when I hit puberty. Not just a time for voice changing. When I was bout 11, the bones in my right ankle did not keep growing correctly. Over the subsequent years, I lost most of the muscle in my calf and my foot basically folded up. I tried a lot of orthotics and different things. I had 17 surgeries to try to get the ankle/foot/leg to grow correctly, even did surgery on the other leg to try and let the right leg catch up. Nothing worked and the doctors had no answer as to why this was happening (they still don't). Finally, after going through junior high and high school on crutches or in a wheelchair, having surgery about every six months and always on pain killers, I decided to amputate. It was a very hard decision, but my parents were supportive. It will be six years this September.

Amputation is the best decision I have ever made in my life. Sure, I still have pain like most of us, but not anything like what it used to be. Six weeks after my amputation, I had a new leg and was on the Park City Ski Team. I had to quit the ski team after a couple years to get a job, but the decisions we make in life bring us to where we are today.

Now, I have an awesome girlfriend who supports me in every way. We go rock climbing, horse riding, four wheeling, camping, water skiing, snow mobiling, etc, etc. I could probably come up with a bunch more, but those are the main activities. I love my life the way it is, including the challenges that are thrown my way. If anybody tells me I can't do something, I will make it my mission in life to prove them wrong. My biggest thing right now is that I want to be out of pain and off pain killers so I can pop the question to my girl!!

Hope this was not too long of an intro.

Hey Stubby! You were in Park City skiing about the same time I was! I learned to ski at the Ability Center at PCMR in January of 2005. You were around then? I skied there in 05, and 06. We then moved back East and I'm in NY now. I wonder if we ever crossed paths.

My story is also similar to yours. I had a deformed foot that never responded to surgeries. I got tired of that life and got it cut off so I could start over. I love the energy return on my bionic foot, such a nice change from my old withered foot. You can see part of my story at my blog site (beats writing it all out for you again). Check out justonefoot.blogspot.com and click on the subject 'amputee mom'. I love this new life with more mobility options. I am glad you have found joy on 'this side' too!

Judy

Hi, Stubby, and welcome!

Nice to meet you, Stubby. Welcome to the family. :smile:

Hi Stubby, :smile:

Welcome Stubby and girlfriend. You've found a wonderful family here. I've been a member for a few years now. I have a friend in the Logan area.

G'day :biggrin:

I had a new leg and was on the Park City Ski Team. We go rock climbing, horse riding, four wheeling, camping, water skiing, snow mobiling, etc, etc.

Welcome Stubby (and Girlfriend)! :biggrin:

Hope to see you around the forum.

I've got a couple questions for you:

1) For alpine and water skiing, do you wear your prosthesis? I had such issues with torque when I was attempting to downhill ski that I've never bothered to try water skiing.

2) For rock climbing, how do you keep a toe-hold without special equipment? My meager attempt at indoor wall climbing, the problem was to trust my life/safety on a toe that may or may not hold. <-- which it wouldn't and I would slip) This is why I never bothered to take it outdoors where it truly will be a safety issue.

Anyway, just curious cause I tossed in the towel on those activities and you’re doin’ them. So I want to see where I went wrong.

Thanks and take care,

Amy

I had a new leg and was on the Park City Ski Team. We go rock climbing, horse riding, four wheeling, camping, water skiing, snow mobiling, etc, etc.

1) For alpine and water skiing, do you wear your prosthesis? I had such issues with torque when I was attempting to downhill ski that I've never bothered to try water skiing.

2) For rock climbing, how do you keep a toe-hold without special equipment? My meager attempt at indoor wall climbing, the problem was to trust my life/safety on a toe that may or may not hold. <-- which it wouldn't and I would slip) This is why I never bothered to take it outdoors where it truly will be a safety issue.

Anyway, just curious cause I tossed in the towel on those activities and you’re doin’ them. So I want to see where I went wrong.

Thanks and take care,

Amy

Hi Stubby, welcome.....I'm new on here as well.

I was just wondering how high you amputated? It's great that your doing so good, with all the activites you do!!

Mary

Hi Stubby,

Welcome to the forum--it is a great place to hang out--there are wise and helpful people on the list.

Peace, Beth Marie

Welcome to the forum Stubby..... sorry that I hadn't gotten around to it earlier,but life gets in the way sometimes.....

I think that you will enjoy your time here ......again, welcome..........

Thanks and take care,

Amy

Hi Amy and thanks for welcoming us. For snow skiing, I competed in downhill and slalom. When I had my leg, I only skied on the one leg that didn't hurt. However, after I got my amputation, I ski with my prosthetic. I have a bit of a special setup for that. My ski leg has a harmony pump (because vacuum suspension is the best way to go in my opinion) but it has the torsion taken out of it (have to send it in to service to get that done). Also, I have a low profile Axtion foot with the toes cut off the footshell so it fits in my ski boot.

For water skiing, I don't use my prosthesis. Frankly, I am afraid of losing it in the water. I just started about 3 years ago and have always done it on one leg and I beat most of the able bodies in competitions, so why do I want to risk losing my leg?

For rock climbing, I have been using my regular leg, but it is holding me back. My girlfriend is currently making me a climbing leg (she is handy like that :biggrin: ) I will have to post pictures of it when we finish it. I am going to get the foot coated with climbing shoe rubber. As for putting your trust all on that toe, well, your trust should be in the harness and rope. If you are going to rock climb, you are going to fall, whether you are putting your weight on your good foot or the prosthetic foot.

Hope this encourages you to take up those other activities, especially snow skiing. My girlfriend has been sky diving once and loved it, but I would never go. She thinks it is awesome you go though.

Thanks to all who welcomed me and my girlfriend (Dawn) to this site.

-Stubby

Hi Amy and thanks for welcoming us. For snow skiing, I competed in downhill and slalom. When I had my leg, I only skied on the one leg that didn't hurt. However, after I got my amputation, I ski with my prosthetic. I have a bit of a special setup for that. My ski leg has a harmony pump (because vacuum suspension is the best way to go in my opinion) but it has the torsion taken out of it (have to send it in to service to get that done). Also, I have a low profile Axtion foot with the toes cut off the footshell so it fits in my ski boot.

For water skiing, I don't use my prosthesis. Frankly, I am afraid of losing it in the water. I just started about 3 years ago and have always done it on one leg and I beat most of the able bodies in competitions, so why do I want to risk losing my leg?

For rock climbing, I have been using my regular leg, but it is holding me back. My girlfriend is currently making me a climbing leg (she is handy like that :biggrin: ) I will have to post pictures of it when we finish it. I am going to get the foot coated with climbing shoe rubber. As for putting your trust all on that toe, well, your trust should be in the harness and rope. If you are going to rock climb, you are going to fall, whether you are putting your weight on your good foot or the prosthetic foot.

Hope this encourages you to take up those other activities, especially snow skiing. My girlfriend has been sky diving once and loved it, but I would never go. She thinks it is awesome you go though.

Thanks to all who welcomed me and my girlfriend (Dawn) to this site.

-Stubby

Ummm . . . OK . . . Yeah . . . Stubby? Can you share Dawn with me?? :biggrin: Sounds like she could outfit me as well. Dang, why can't I find me a man like Dawn?! Such is life.

Anyway, thank you for the great explanation. Now I'm getting 'twitchy' to try skiing again. Hmmmmm . . . . Good point regarding the rope/harness. I guess I would just blame my falls on my fake foot and never got to the point where I would have fallen even with 2 good feet. Please DO send pics. I can’t wait to see them.

Take care,

Amy

Sorry I don't have a twin brother Amy, but thanks for the compliment. :laugh: Come to Utah next winter and we will take you skiing and snow mobiling. You can take me skydiving!!

I have learned a ton on this site from reading all your posts. Hopefully, you guys don't mind me on here even though I am not an amputee. It is has been been interesting learning all sorts of things since I have been dating Stubby and meeting other amputees. Actually, I tend to forget that he is an amputee unless he is in pain. He walks very well and will take on anything. I think I am very lucky to have him around. Thanks for all the comments and the warm welcome.

-Dawn