Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
stubby

How I lost my leg

So, I had met my girlfriend's aunt Cindy before, but just in passing at a family party. When my girlfriend and I went camping last year, we stopped at Cindy's house for the day to borrow her car and get a couple things. After coming back later that day, I discovered the brakes on my truck were locked up due to rust (actually it is my brothers truck and he doesn't take care of things well). So, we had some time to talk while my girlfriend and I worked on the truck. Cindy asks me, "So, I never heard from Dawn how you lost your leg. I don't want to be rude but I am curious." So, looking at Dawn first to make sure I had permission and she wasn't going to start giggling hysterically, I proceeded to tell her aunt my shark story. Basically, my leg was bit off by a shark while I was swimming in the ocean.

Cindy responds with huge eyes (she is a very gullible woman) and says, "oh my gosh, and you still swim and do water skiing and all that. Wow, you are so brave." Well, I finished fixing the truck and Dawn talked to her aunt awhile more, hamming it up. Usually Dawn can't keep a straight face when I tell my stories.

So all was well, we drove away and forgot about it. Then, about a week later, Dawn is talking to her mom. Evidently Cindy called her mom and was like, "Oh my gosh, you never told me he lost his leg like that." Well, Dawn's mom broke down and told her sister the truth. A day later, Dawn gets a call from Cindy and is berated for telling such a story. I was laughing so hard when I heard about it. Dawn's mom's response when she told Cindy the truth was "and you believed them despite knowing who was telling the story?"

It was truly funny. Hopefully, something this good has happened to all of you when being introduced to new people.

-Stubby

I confess that I too like to make up stories about how I lost mine, usually ones that get sillier and sillier as the tale progresses, just to see how long I can keep the asker on the hook.

Now if it's a little kid asking, I usually tell them about how when I was their age, I disobeyed my parents or told a lie, and the monster under the bed snatched it off one night. It's amazing how little kids believe such things. :-)

Stagger, you are bad, bad, bad... :tongue:

I have a similar shark story I tell with a mate of mine that I met in hospital who has a badly chewed up leg, I jumped in to save him, I have other scars which help the story along... it breaks the monotony of telling the more unexciting truth...

With all the ponds I live around, Im working on a Snapping Turtle story. I dont have the details down pat yet. :biggrin:

Hope all is well with everyone !!!!