Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
EdSumner

Used legs?

I have a friend that lives in another state, who is also a below the knee amputee like I'm fixing to be. He just recently got a new leg through the VA and he has offered to let me have 2 other legs that he has. He said both legs are the Harmony Foot System by Otto Boch, and all I would probably have to do is have a new socket made that would fit me. Both of the legs are right legs like I will need, and the same shoe size as mine and are in excellent shape he said, and all I would have to do is pay for having them shipped here. Should I take him up on his offer, or just forget it and go ahead and have a new leg made just for me?

I have a friend that lives in another state, who is also a below the knee amputee like I'm fixing to be. He just recently got a new leg through the VA and he has offered to let me have 2 other legs that he has. He said both legs are the Harmony Foot System by Otto Boch, and all I would probably have to do is have a new socket made that would fit me. Both of the legs are right legs like I will need, and the same shoe size as mine and are in excellent shape he said, and all I would have to do is pay for having them shipped here. Should I take him up on his offer, or just forget it and go ahead and have a new leg made just for me?

Depends on your situation and how good your insurance is. Majority of the cost in a "new" leg is the making and fitting of the socket (around $5000 us). and depending on the length of your stump the parts and pieces that your friend has may or mayNOT fit under your limb. New prosthetic feet (and most parts) usually come with a 24-36 month warranty and by using used parts you run the risk of the used part failing and causing you further injury, leaving you no recorse since you were using 2nd hand parts.

The harmony is a good system but it does have issues with build height and weight where some of the newer products are smaller and lighter. If I were in your shoes, I'd have my main leg fabricated completely new. A new amputee will usually need 2-5 different sockets over the course of the first few years since their stump shrinks and changes alot over this time. At some point you will end up with a couple extra sockets yourself and by then you will have a better Idea on if you want those old parts and if they will even fit your situation.