Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
silviagod

don't know what to do

I am desperate to continue with my mobility but am having difficulties! I have a high mid-thigh amputation and the suction socket was only made a couple of months ago. My weight activities and diet are the same yet I am going into the socket too much. I have used padding to bring me out, but even with this padding the same is happening again.

My prosthetist is on holiday and I don't want an unfamiliar person attending to me, even if that were offered. Has anyone here experienced similar problems and found out why?

Next part, this made me laugh and cheered me up today. I found my consultants email address on google and sent him an email requesting his comments or suggestions. A few hours later a prosthetist telephoned me expressing great concern that the consultant had received an email from me on his computer! Is this not the done thing? I feel like sending him another! Should I :D

Sorry it's a long post but I would like opinions and advice if possible. Thanks.

will this work with a suction socket?

Please do not be put off by my username, it is car related. I have a passion for the Nissan Silvia.

nis1frn-os.JPG

I am male and was worried about emailing again as they sounded horrified that I had dared to ask the consultant!!

Where can I get this foam from?

Hi

Well in my experience with the NHS in the UK by the time you eventually get an appointment, your prosthetist will probably be back from holiday !!! However that is just me being cynical!

Seriously though, it does sound as though you are shrinking and this is to be expected in the early days, it may be that you go thro. a few limbs quickly, or maybe the prosthetist will just line this one. I think it depends on your leg and the type of limb you have as to whether you can pad it out, I wear two diff.types and sometimes I can get away with padding one, the other I can't. Have you tried extra socks, thinner socks or thicker socks? That might get you through till you get your next appointment.

I personally think its a very good idea emailing your Consultant, the more communication between everyone the better, from my experience there is no communication, so letting everyone concerned know the problems you are having seems a very good idea.

It's not early days for me as I have been coping well for 20 years . It's the last 5 that seem to be getting worse :( I also can't add socks because it is a suction socket.

I rang the limbless association and they advised me against emailing the consultant, they said that my relationship was with the prosthetist and not the consultant.

I agree with your views on the NHS Ann. Also if it gets worse because it takes them 7 weeks to make the socket, and if I have not been active for that time the socket won't fit by the time I get it. It makes me sick because there is only a days work in all.

Hi

Really sorry, don't know why I assumed that you were a new amputee and didn't mean to sound patronizing. Actually I am in a very similar position to yourself. for the past few years I have been having problems with the limbs, and the last year has been really bad.

Some of my limbs have taken months to make, and then like you when I finally get them they don't fit. I am also finding that the cosmesis has a lot to be desired, nowhere near as nice looking as they were years ago. I could go on etc. etc. .......

I have complained a lot, not really sure how far it has got me, but feel the more people who know the problems we are having, the better, hopefully something will be done to improve the service. I have written to the limbless assoc., my MP, hospital execs. etc.

What I am finding now is the probs. of not walking correctly (wrong heights etc) spiral and have an effect on the rest of your body. Am having problems with back, shoulders and other joints. Also have a GP, who just seems assume they are due to my legs, (which they prob. are) but won't give me any other treatment because of this, he tells me its just wear and tear. It was as if he felt I should just sit there (I am only in mid 40's) and wait for old age! Unbelieveable!

Isn't the NHS wonderful :rolleyes: I finally have an appointment with my prosthetist for the 22nd of this month :blink: That's only 3 weeks after the date when I needed help!!!!

It will be at least another 6 weeks before I have a socket that fits!!

Silviagod, so Ann was right, by the time you got an appointment, your prosthetist was back from holiday!!!! My wife suffers with similar frustrations getting appointments.....

Ann, as for the back problems, joint problems, etc. I'm sorry to have to say that it probably is just wear and tear. I'm only a couple of years older than you from looking at your profile and I also suffer from sore joints, backache, etc. and I'm not the amputee in the family, so I haven't got an excuse! My wife is a few years younger, but she too suffers from the aches and pains. Sorry Ann but you have to just accept that like the rest of us, you're getting older. Yes, sure your prothetics wont help, but those of us who are supposedly able bodied are feeling our age too. Even if I do still feel like and act like a 25 year old at times - or was it a teenager when I have a tantrum.......

John