Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
maggie

nerve bundles

hi, can i ask if anyone has had the same problem as me, about a year ago, after having a new hip on the opposite leg, i started to have pain at the back of the stump in a morning when i put the leg on, which lasted for about half an hour before it settled down, the same happens at night wheni take it off. i have had the leg adjusted to no avail, & finally was sent to have a scan to see if my nerves have bunched together, i haven't had the results yet, so i don't know the outcome, , but i'm curious to know if anyone else has had similar problems. this occured 17 years after my amputation? i have to go see the doc next week & hopefully get some answers to this problem, as it is quite painful when this happens

thanks for listening

maggie

hi, can i ask if anyone has had the same problem as me, about a year ago, after having a new hip on the opposite leg, i started to have pain at the back of the stump in a morning when i put the leg on, which lasted for about half an hour before it settled down, the same happens at night wheni take it off. i have had the leg adjusted to no avail, & finally was sent to have a scan to see if my nerves have bunched together, i haven't had the results yet, so i don't know the outcome, , but i'm curious to know if anyone else has had similar problems. this occured 17 years after my amputation? i have to go see the doc next week & hopefully get some answers to this problem, as it is quite painful when this happens

thanks for listening

maggie

I've had neuroma's Maggie, but my experience of them a bit different from yours. The one on the end of my stump (which I got rid of last year), would only really hurt though when it got direct pressure on, so would increase the longer I had the leg on. I have also got some nerves which have got mixed up around my Fib Head, likewise these really only cause problems with direct pressure. Have another neuroma in the middle of stump, which I am told goes with a bone spur (apparrently they often go together) which gives me no problem at all.

thanks for listening

maggie

I've had neuroma's Maggie, but my experience of them a bit different from yours. The one on the end of my stump (which I got rid of last year), would only really hurt though when it got direct pressure on, so would increase the longer I had the leg on. I have also got some nerves which have got mixed up around my Fib Head, likewise these really only cause problems with direct pressure. Have another neuroma in the middle of stump, which I am told goes with a bone spur (apparrently they often go together) which gives me no problem at all.

thanks for the reply ann, its good to know i am not the only sufferer!! i'm going to see the doc in the morning, so i'll see what he says about it. thanks again maggie

hi all, me again, i've been ti the limb centre & i don't have a neuroma!!1 thank goodness! now i have to sort out the fit on the socket & i should be fine,so glad its nothing else!

a relieved maggie

I have been having a problem on and off for two years. I am now going for a scan on my stump, and if it is a neuroma! they will either take the nerve out or freeze it.

I had an MRI a couple weeks ago, after having really bad pain for about a year. My ortho thinks that I have a neuroma of the peritoneal nerve on the bottom of my stump. I hope that is all it is because it sounds like he can fix it. I go in for surgery on the 21st. He is going to cut the nerve farther up and then bury it in the muscle. Supposedly there is only a 1 in 10 chance that it will come back and cause pain. I hope this solves my problem because I really haven't felt good in quite some time.

Has anybody else had this procedure? How fast was your recovery time? Did the neuroma come back and cause problems? I hope someone can answer my questions as I am apprehensive about having yet another surgery.

Hi all,

I've been away for a bit - struggling with neuromas and bone spurs! I've had 3 revisions since my amputation, 6 years ago, and neuromas are a major problem for me. I had another 2inch one taken out a year ago, and also had one on the tibia at the end of it. The biggest one grows on the common perreneal nerve. I also had the fibular removed due to instability, and came home with MRSA! I didn't go back into a leg until 4 months later and within 3 months after that had the pain again. I've now been told that the neuroma has grown back and I have a bone spur on the fibular head. I am putting off removal again and I am awaiting a scan to see if the neuroma can be injected!

I've been told that the neuromas are highly likely to keep regrowing, and that the only way is to keep cutting. I've also been informed by the vascular surgeon that there are mixed results with the injecting. When they MRI and scanned etc., the neuroma didn't look that big - but once the surgeon got in there, it was very large and wrapped into muscle and tissue. They also cause phantom sensation problems and constant 'electric shocks' in the stump.

The pain is not good, and despite a great prosthetist and many adjustments to my leg, I still have problems. At the moment walking less than 100 yards is painful.

Sue

Guest bearlover

How long is the recovery with nerve/neuroma removal? and how long before one can wear the prosthetic again? Alos I have read that it only grows back soon after.

i had a neuroma removal and it was 3 months before i was able walk the problem i had was the the stump shape changed and i to get a new socket made but was walking quit soon on it,

it also depends how quick you heal after the removal

i'm back getting a different pain in the stump now but i'm going back to see the doc soon not sure what to expect next