Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Madleggs

Introduction

Hello all!

My name is Jason and I am a new BKA(5 weeks), I came accross this site while surfing for amputee info. I am a 31 year old male with a wife and two children and we live in Missouri. Seventeen years ago they found a tumor inside my dura sac(spinal cord sac that contains all of our nerves). This tumor and the surgery itself caused permanent never damage to both of my legs below the knees. My left leg had the most damage, I could not feel any part of my left foot and ankle. They put me in AFO braces(ankle foot orthotic) to aid in me continuing to walk. That worked for several years until I broke the ankle on my left leg, we(they the Doctors) decided that with the nerve damage that i had the best choice for the ankle and foot to heal would be to fuse the two together with several screws and pins. This was a horible decision from the perspective of the patient, it did heal well enough for me to use with the aid of the braces and a single pronged cane. The problem was that about every two years I needed another surgery to go in a place more screws in their to help the ankle be more stable. Finally after 6 additional ankle surgeries, it was time for another one and I told the doctors that I was not having any more unless they were going to just remove the whole foot. To my surprise he said he thought that was the best choice for me and we should have done this years ago. Now the real problem here is the reason the ankle and foot did not hold up after the original fusion is because I never stopped living like an Abled Bodied person. I did all the things an active 15-30 years old male is suppose to do all the while dragging that stupid leg around. Long story sorry! I know that I am new to this forum and just wanted to give those interested my back round.

Favorite things to do: play with the family and play Sled Hockey(disabled hockey for people with injuries that prevent them from using their legs normally) most of the people who play sled hockey are spinal cord injuries or birth defects as well as amputees.

Thank you for listening and I hope I can look to this site as a place to learn how to deal with the struggles that I am going to have in the coming months as I recover.

Welcome Jason. You'll find a wealth of knowledge on this site as well as some of the nicest people you'll ever want to meet. I know this firsthand as I just left some of them after a weekend of fun and education.

Will you still have mobility problems after you get a prosthesis?

Life on one leg isn't all that bad most days. There are those days when you just want to throw the leg as far from you as possible, but those days are few.

Research the site and ask any question you need.

Neal

Neal, I think there is an outside chance that I will have some limited mobility, while my right foot does have some nerve damage it is only in my toes. Good thing I dont walk around on my tippy toes :biggrin:. It will not doubtedly be better than what i was able to do before. I was pretty much relegated to my wheelchair for about the last year before I decided to amputate.

I have read a lot of helpful posts on this site already!

I go to see my leg lady for my first check socket this week and I cant wait but am also a little nervous at the same time. To this point I have really had a fairly smooth transition with minimal pain or issues, but I expect that once I have a new leg that will change a bit.

So what kind of things do they do/have at this conference? I would be interested in going next time for sure!

Thank you for the welcome and look forward to talking to you and all the great people on the site.

Welcome to the forum Jason! :biggrin:

The ACA conference has an assortment of meetings to attend (different topics) as well as a ton of venders where you can listen to their spiel and see all the cool products available. I was even allowed to 'fondle' a leg I want to get. The third time I went back to hold and touch it, the vender told the woman standing next to him, "Here comes the Charmin lady again". :laugh: You also ‘hang out’ with fellow amputees who “get it”. It's an incredible event.

Welcome again and good luck with the socket!

Amy

G'day

Hi, Jason, and welcome! I'd definitely recommend the ACA Conference to ANY amputee...but especially to a "newbie" who's trying to sort out "what's possible." I went two years ago...met some fabulous folks, got "muchly" educated about amp life and gear, and generally had a grand time!

I went through several years of various foot/ankle problems prior to my surgery, and I have to say that finally losing my leg was the thing that truly gave me my life back. Hang in there, ask any questions that occur, and learn all you can!

Hi Jason welcome to the forum. Sorry for all that you've had to endure, but certainly I'm glad you went surfing and found this site. b/c you will definitely get the support and the best knowledge around. I am now 13yrs into my amp (lbk) and finding this place site was the best thing that could have happened to me. I was totally uninformed about being an amputee, but shortly after being around here with my second family, I soon found out that I wasn't alone, but instead amoung the best group of friendly, supportive, knowledgable ppl I could have found anywhere. So any struggles that you may come upon, feel comfortable knowing that you'll always find someone here to comfort and help in any way they can. Hopefully your struggles may be few and far between.

Good Luck

Sheila :smile:

USA-Maine

Hello Jason, welcome to the forum! This is a wonderful site and I learn something new everytime I sign on!

Good luck with the new socket, talk to you soon!

Flip

The ACA conference has an assortment of meetings to attend (different topics) as well as a ton of venders where you can listen to their spiel and see all the cool products available. I was even allowed to 'fondle' a leg I want to get. The third time I went back to hold and touch it, the vender told the woman standing next to him, "Here comes the Charmin lady again". :laugh: You also 'hang out' with fellow amputees who "get it". It's an incredible event.

Amy

Amy -don't mean to hijack the thread, but give me the scoop....what is the name of the leg that you were so interested in and the details of it??? You guys had alot better time at the conference than I did at the wedding! :)

Lynne

I told you that was going to happen...... :smile::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Most likely, this leg that Amy kept accosting will really interest you Lynne.. However..... you would have to go to New Jersey for the woman to replicate your real skin and all......It was THE most life like looking leg I have ever seen.......

more info please!

Neal, I think there is an outside chance that I will have some limited mobility, while my right foot does have some nerve damage it is only in my toes. Good thing I dont walk around on my tippy toes :biggrin:. It will not doubtedly be better than what i was able to do before. I was pretty much relegated to my wheelchair for about the last year before I decided to amputate.

I have read a lot of helpful posts on this site already!

I go to see my leg lady for my first check socket this week and I cant wait but am also a little nervous at the same time. To this point I have really had a fairly smooth transition with minimal pain or issues, but I expect that once I have a new leg that will change a bit.

So what kind of things do they do/have at this conference? I would be interested in going next time for sure!

Thank you for the welcome and look forward to talking to you and all the great people on the site.

I'll put my membership hat on for the ACA. You should join the ACA now that you're one of us. It is an organization established to help support, educate, and advocate for people with limb loss. A 1-year membership only costs $35 and includes 8 editions per year of InMotion magazine. You will find out through this forum as well as the magazine when and where the next conference will be held.

This was my 6th conference and I hope I never have to miss one. As Amy said, they offer classes on various topics pertaining to people with limb loss. They have mobility clinics designed to help you further your abilities with your prosthesis. The exhibitors offer a glance at all their products. You can also talk with users to see how well the systems work for them. It would definitely be beneficial for you to go to one.

Neal

Welcome Jason!!

You have hit the motherload on information with this group.. :biggrin:

There are many ways to get your leg done and there isn't one right answer. You get what works for you and your lifestyle.

I am an RAK and have the c-leg setup. It does everything that I need it to do. That's what you need to ask your leg lady.

What's your mobility going to be and what kind of life expectancy will there be from my components.

Also check with your insurance coverage on what will be covered and what is not. I'm not sure if Mizzu is a parity state or not yet.

Definately join the ACA, it's well worth the price and the magazines always pick me up.

If you golf along with the sled hockey there is the AGA (amputee golfers association) that is a great group for the game of golf also.

I want to know more about sled hockey though. Send pics please.

Come by often and ask lots of questions... :smile:

The ACA conference has an assortment of meetings to attend (different topics) as well as a ton of venders where you can listen to their spiel and see all the cool products available. I was even allowed to 'fondle' a leg I want to get. The third time I went back to hold and touch it, the vender told the woman standing next to him, "Here comes the Charmin lady again". :laugh: You also 'hang out' with fellow amputees who "get it". It's an incredible event.

Amy

Amy -don't mean to hijack the thread, but give me the scoop....what is the name of the leg that you were so interested in and the details of it??? You guys had alot better time at the conference than I did at the wedding! :)

Lynne

Most likely, this leg that Amy kept accosting will really interest you Lynne.. However..... you would have to go to New Jersey for the woman to replicate your real skin and all......It was THE most life like looking leg I have ever seen.......

more info please!

OK, let me dig out the card and I will begin a seperate thread pertaining to the leg I kept going back to 'touch'. It's INCREDIBLE!!! :biggrin:

Amy

Lynne

more info please!

OK, let me dig out the card and I will begin a seperate thread pertaining to the leg I kept going back to 'touch'. It's INCREDIBLE!!! :biggrin:

Amy - Thank you! This sounds very interesting, thank you so much for getting the info! If you all say it is amazing, it must be something else!! Accosting legs...very dangerous, hahahaha