Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Systematic Chaos

Hello from Kansas

I'm married, have been for 19 years. Have two great kids. Boy who is 22 and a girl who's 17. Very supportive and caring wife.

I'm going to be a new below the knee amputee on June 1st. I have charcot's joint in my right foot. Which led to the breakdown of the ankle/foot joint and that's now leading to my amputation. I've spent a better part of this last year and a half in cast and special boots trying to prolong things. It's now so bad I can't even wear a boot. So it's on to removal. Then on to active lifestyle.

I've trying to read about amputations and amputees in moderation. This just isn't something I was able to delve into full force like I'm known to do. I have so many concerns, questions and fears. I'll address those in the appropriate part of the forum.

I'm an outdoors kind of person. I just really like being outside. I love my koi fish and just had a pond put in and can't wait to get out close to the water and feed the fish. I'm into Geocaching and haven't been able to do that for going on three years. I was down to 260 and now weigh 322. I just haven't been able to do much in the way of exercise. Eating healthier is going to be a huge new goal of mine. It will help the left leg that now has to do twice the amount of work.

I'm sure I could ramble on for quite a while but I'll refrain. lol

Glad to meet you all and hope to make some new friendships.

David

Welcome David. I'm sorry you have to meet us this way, but I'm sure you will do fine. Questions, just ask away. There are plenty of gals & guys that will take care of that. BTW I also have a pond with koi. Don't you just love to watch them. I haven't gotten them to eat out of my hand yet, but I guess they do. :smile:

Welcome to the forum David! :biggrin:

I'm sorry for what you are facing but if you haven't already noticed, you will get through it (eventually) and claim the activities you desire. You are fortunate to have a great family and support system; not everyone has that.

Speaking of claiming desired activities, I have wanted to begin Geocaching for a few years now. Been eyeballing GPS's, subscribe to the website, bought a 'Geocaching for Dummies' book :tongue: so the next step is for me to have a new prosthesis built where the torque (while hiking) doesn't cause me so much pain. I can’t even mow the lawn without trashing my leg for the remainder of the day so getting a better leg is a high priority. Although, I’ve been saying that for years and still haven’t done anything about it. Now that I’ve seen some incredible things at the ACA conference and have an appointment already set up with the amputee clinic, I know this time I’ll actually follow through with it.

Anyway, I too can ramble on if allowed so welcome again to the forum and I’ll see you around the site.

Amy

G'day

Thank you everyone for the welcomes and positive thinking.

Welcome to the forum David! :biggrin:

I'm sorry for what you are facing but if you haven't already noticed, you will get through it (eventually) and claim the activities you desire. You are fortunate to have a great family and support system; not everyone has that.

Speaking of claiming desired activities, I have wanted to begin Geocaching for a few years now. Been eyeballing GPS's, subscribe to the website, bought a 'Geocaching for Dummies' book :tongue: so the next step is for me to have a new prosthesis built where the torque (while hiking) doesn't cause me so much pain. I can’t even mow the lawn without trashing my leg for the remainder of the day so getting a better leg is a high priority. Although, I’ve been saying that for years and still haven’t done anything about it. Now that I’ve seen some incredible things at the ACA conference and have an appointment already set up with the amputee clinic, I know this time I’ll actually follow through with it.

Anyway, I too can ramble on if allowed so welcome again to the forum and I’ll see you around the site.

Amy

How do you know what to look for in a leg? Geocaching is one of my favorite things to do and would love to be able to get back into it. I was told a basic below the knee leg would be around $6,000. I can only imagine how much one with some bells and whistles cost.

LOL I have that exact same book by the way.

Hi, David, and welcome! We're a friendly bunch, and we do our best to be helpful...so ask any questions that occur to you. The odds are good that someone here will be able to help you.

Yes legs can be expensive...but there's still plenty of "stuff" you can do with a basic bare-bones leg! We have a good assortment of hikers and bikers and pilots, and skydivers, and what-have-you. A good number of them are on "basic" legs.

When you meet with your prosthetist to plan for your first leg, be really upfront about what you want to be able to do. They'll do their best to get you there. Beyond that, a good part of what you're able to do will depend on how hard you're willing to work at getting yourself back into shape. (I'm not saying we have to be super-human, here — heaven knows, I'M not! — but it will take some time and effort to build up your strength, seeing as you've been inactive for so long.)

It's good that you've found some resources pre-amputation. When I lost my leg, I had no contacts with anyone who was already living this life. Making some connections with other amputees, who really "know the ropes," is a very good thing to do!

Hi David, welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will find some answers here to help with any concerns, questions or fears that you may have in the coming days. Good Luck

Sheila :smile:

USA-Maine

Hi David,

I'm very active outdoors myself--I do a lot of hiking and running with my BTK leg. (Well I have a special one for running, but hike just fine with the regular walking leg.) You can do it-just work with your prosthetist until you figure out each and every sore spot on your leg that comes with exertion and knock them all out, one by one. It may take a while, but it's possible.

And ditching as much weight as possible is key. The less weight on the end of that leg, the less pain, and every few pounds makes a difference. So no more cheeseburgers---get to like carrots instead. :tongue:

How do you know what to look for in a leg? Geocaching is one of my favorite things to do and would love to be able to get back into it. I was told a basic below the knee leg would be around $6,000. I can only imagine how much one with some bells and whistles cost.

LOL I have that exact same book by the way.

The problem is that I am VERY limited on what's available for me as a symes amputee. One prosthetist told me I needed a split-toe foot to reduce the torque on uneven ground. Another told me that didn't matter, it was the quality of the shoes I wore. But then, his company didn't sell split-toe symes feet.

I've never spent more than $4,500 on my prosthetics so that right there should tell you something about why I'm having issues with discomfort. :glare: Time to buy myself something better quality.

LOL!! All right!! Funny about the book. :biggrin:

Hi David,

Welcome to the forum. I am really behind at reading the new notes, so although this is long after you joined know I sent a hardy welcome. I too have koi and enjoy sitting with them and feeding them.

There are lots of wise people here, so ask all the questions you want--most of us have been in the same place in our journey.

Peace, Beth Marie