Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Anthonys mom

How Long Off Work??

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to get an idea of how long you guys stayed off work (if you worked before your amputations)? I am AK and just curious. Although I do know everyone is different and nothing is set in stone--like I said just curious as to what people are up to. And and maybe mention what kind of work you do(if you don't mind).

Thanks

Cari

i work on a towboat aka barges. I am a bka i was off work seven days shy of a year. I did this work prior to my amputation. my amp. Was due to a motorcycle accident. I was hit head on at 50 mph by a car. I had several injuries besides the amputation.

I was off work for five months, but only four of those were leg-related. It took me that long to heal, have the swelling start to receed, and get fitted for my first prosthesis. The final month, I spent waiting for my eyesight to return, which was MUCH more frustrating than the leg ever was! (One-legged and blind...what a joy.......)

I'm a secretary by profession, and my employer held my job for me....... :smile:

I lost my leg on 2/6/09 and I haven't gone back to work yet. I'm an AK, too. My job requires a lot of walking. My Doc said that he wouldn't release me until iI get a definative socket. I know he's just looking out for me, but I can't wait to get back!

Bryan

Hi there Cari! :biggrin:

I was out of work for seven months due to the motorcycle accident. Most of my time was healing from the MERSA that I got in the hospital. big bummer.

After I got my leg I was back to work in two months. Not bad for rehab time and learning to rewalk again.

I am an assitant golf course superintendent. Lots of walking on uneven slopes all day.

Let us know how the leg is coming.

:smile:

Hi,

I teach and because of terrible boss I got six days after the amputation. It was crazy, but I only went to teach and then came home.

Terrible boss is gone and I am still there--he tried valiantly to get rid of me for 7 years.

He said he would make the place assessable, but never did in the three years I was in wheelchair, nor the two after the amp.

Peace, Beth Marie

Hi,

I teach and because of terrible boss I got six days after the amputation. It was crazy, but I only went to teach and then came home.

Terrible boss is gone and I am still there--he tried valiantly to get rid of me for 7 years.

He said he would make the place assessable, but never did in the three years I was in wheelchair, nor the two after the amp.

Peace, Beth Marie

WOW beth Marie that is HORRIBLE!!! Your boss needs to be shot! :) I can not believe the insensitivity of some people! UGH!

Thanks for responding everyone! It is nice to see what people are doing and how long it took to get back some normalcy. I still feel SO OUT OF PLACE, I hope part of that is that I don't have my leg yet so don't feel "complete" yet. I guess only time will tell!!! HUGS to everyone and again thanks!

I was in hospital for more than a year while they tried to save me leg, though they did say I could have been back to work within 6 to 8 weeks as an engineering apprentice if I'd have had the leg amputated when I'd had my accident. It was part of the choice I'd been given!

It's been almost a year and seven months since I lost my leg and I'm still out of work. I've been looking for a job for the last few months but unfortunately nobody wants to employ me in this "banana" republic where I live. Though I've had several job interviews so far nothing came of it. As long as they don't know that I wear the prosthesis they seem to be willing to take me but once I tell them that I'm an amputee , it always dampens their enthusiasm for shortlisting me for the job. Well, I got used to it already but I don't give up and hope against hope that I'll finally find some job.

It's been almost a year and seven months since I lost my leg and I'm still out of work. I've been looking for a job for the last few months but unfortunately nobody wants to employ me in this "banana" republic where I live. Though I've had several job interviews so far nothing came of it. As long as they don't know that I wear the prosthesis they seem to be willing to take me but once I tell them that I'm an amputee , it always dampens their enthusiasm for shortlisting me for the job. Well, I got used to it already but I don't give up and hope against hope that I'll finally find some job.

What 'banana republic' do you live in?

What 'banana republic' do you live in?

It's Poland, the country which is mostly governed by mendacious and fraudulent crooks whiling away their working hours drinking vendor coffe right this very minute. Btw , our equivalent of your NHS has issued the statement recently that it's much cheaper for them to pay for amputations of those diabetic or bone cancer patients than treat them with expensive drugs even if there was a good chance of recovery. If you lost your leg in an accident and it's not your fault it's even worse, even if you're insured. The insurance companies will literally do everything to rip you off.

Right after an amputation , every amputee ( unless he or she is insured privately though it doesn't make much difference) is entitled to the standard state prosthetic care which consists of two hundred pound's worth of temporary aluminium "pirat" leg with quadrilateral socket probably going back to the World War Two and five hundred pound's worth of final leg. If you don't have enough funds to provide yourself with a good prosthetic care and a relatively good knee you're doomed to be reckoned as a permanent crutch or wheel chair "material".

Not that I'm complaining , I mustn't grumble. I 'm not in such the invidious position myself but again I have nothing to be ashamed of as I didn't aks the governemnt for a penny . I just really feel sorry for thousands of those here and there who have to go without appropriate prosthetic care because of their inability to pay.

I'm sorry if I gave vent to my thoughts here in such a pesimistic way may be.

Spot-on !

WOW Eldar--that sucks!!!! I can't imagine the first line of defense to bone caners or diabetes is to amputate--that is so cruel!-considering bone cancer is how I lost my leg, but that was after 6 surgeries, a year of chemo and 6 years being cancer free before the recurrence and amputation. But I know MANY people that after chemo and surgery to remove the tumor they have lived MANY MANY MANY years cancer free with their limb still in tack! WOW that just blows my mind!

Good Luck to you!!!

Spot-on !

WOW Eldar--that sucks!!!! I can't imagine the first line of defense to bone caners or diabetes is to amputate--that is so cruel!-considering bone cancer is how I lost my leg, but that was after 6 surgeries, a year of chemo and 6 years being cancer free before the recurrence and amputation. But I know MANY people that after chemo and surgery to remove the tumor they have lived MANY MANY MANY years cancer free with their limb still in tack! WOW that just blows my mind!

Good Luck to you!!!

Yeah , indeed it sucks but it can't be helped but this is what life is like , you know it and I know it and everybody knows it I think. You know , since I lost my leg, which was relatively not so long ago ( Jan 2008) I've often got a terrible feeling that I live in the wild forest and the only law that is in effect is the law of the jungle. Being an amputee ,we all have a lot of our medical and prosthetic problems but to make matters worse , some have to bow and scrape in front of these highly skilled bollock juglers in numerous governmental offices. Personally , had it not been for my lovely wife I would be most probably dead by now. If I were to die today for her I would surely lay down my life for her without a second thought. We all need some spiritual support regardless whether it comes form our nearest and dearest or our devoted and faithful friends.

But these days I'm being pensive more and more often. I'm used to delve into the "shelter of my mental solitude" , ruminating over this and that which is wrong I know. I'm still fighting against, though it's not the cancer but some constant feeling of anxiety and the inevitable inexorability of the "end" , so to speak. My shrink told me I'm ok so there's nothing to worry about. :biggrin:

Sorry , I got carried away. Good luck to you Anthonys mom in all you do . I'm glad that you survived your cancer.

I went back to work just under one year, but i went on a 6 month holiday before then and maybe could have gone back sooner. I work on offshore drilling rigs so it was probably best I did not go back too early. As for not being able to get a job, I found the companies that would not hire me were American. Since my amputation, I have worked for Canadian, Singaporean, and my current Norwegian employer. But every American based company refused to hire me (they own the majority of offshore rigs).

I couldn't go wrong although with my current employer, they buy me legs when I ever I ask (been with them 9 years now).

Jeff