Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Stagger Lee

Got to drive a truck.

So I was in working overtime for the 4th of July, basically doing odd jobs instead of what I should be doing (don't get me started...) and the supervisor I was working for asked if anyone could drive a large stick-shift truck.

I volunteered that I had done so all through college and he gave me the keys and a list of deliveries.

OK, I kind of forgot to tell him that I had not driven one since losing my leg, but heck--it's a government truck, right? It's not like there's no insurance.

All worked well. No problem shifting with the prosthetic, and all my old pals took great delight in seeing ME driving the large stick-shift truck through the major vehicle and pedestrian traffic associated with our local 4th of July celebrations.

Only downside was that they did not allow me to wear my Monty Python "Just a Flesh Wound" t-shirt with my shorts...Had to wear the issued uniform shirt. Pity--that's a great look.

Great News Stagger.... sometimes clutches can be tricky..... but then again..... you ARE taller than me.....sooooo, I suppose your foot would hit the clutch at a better angle...

Anyway.... glad to hear that you have one more thing that you have regained.. It's always such a sense of accomplishment when you get just a small piece of your life back....congrats......

Congrats Stagger!!!!!!!! It's different but very doable. My one and only time was in a small car. It felt like my foot was halfway up under the dashboard.

So I was in working overtime for the 4th of July, basically doing odd jobs instead of what I should be doing (don't get me started...) and the supervisor I was working for asked if anyone could drive a large stick-shift truck.

I volunteered that I had done so all through college and he gave me the keys and a list of deliveries.

OK, I kind of forgot to tell him that I had not driven one since losing my leg, but heck--it's a government truck, right? It's not like there's no insurance.

All worked well. No problem shifting with the prosthetic, and all my old pals took great delight in seeing ME driving the large stick-shift truck through the major vehicle and pedestrian traffic associated with our local 4th of July celebrations.

Only downside was that they did not allow me to wear my Monty Python "Just a Flesh Wound" t-shirt with my shorts...Had to wear the issued uniform shirt. Pity--that's a great look.

Stagger, {must have missed} where you are working...back on the police force :happy: and where? In the Marietta, Oh. police force, we have a patrolman {?} that went back to work. He was in a boating mishap. He goes to the same prosthetist I do.

That must have been a great feeling to drive in traffic. I can't imagine a stick during a holiday weekend, but I'd love to see you in your Monty Python shirt and shorts. That would make a great avatar. I've only tried driving a stick once since I lost my leg and it was our dune buggy just after we got it. I couldn't stand not driving it, so I drove it around the yard and field. We live on a farm and our yard has some hill to it and my husband finally stopped me as I got a little too brave and told me I was going to knock the fiberglass front end off of it if I didn't quit jumping the hill in the front yard. I then drove it down the road very slowly and met a neighbor who thought it was my husband and promptly swerved at me, scaring me half to death, as I had my daughter in the car with me.

I used to drive a forklift all day in my two-legged days and have often wondered if I could still do that. When I see people like you posting things like jumping in a truck and driving through traffic on a big weekend like the Fourth of July, it keeps me wanting to try to do things again. Thanks for keeping me challenged.