Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
abilitytrek

Outdoor Recreation Vacation Survey

I would like some feed back on a project I am putting together for the 2010, spring and summer season. We are planning a week's adult camp vacation experiance for those with limb loss and mobility issues. All activities will be adaptive and will include cycling, kayaking, ballooning,(wheel chair accessible, the only in the nation), sail plane flights, fishing, sailing, horseback riding. Evening activities will also include several classes of art and craft, painting pottery and woodworking, and cooking classes . Located in Vermont Ability Adventures is slated to be the first adult vacation program of it's kind.

I am doing a little market research and would like feedback to find out if you would consider going on a adaptive vacation with others with limb loss. What activites would you want to see? Would you prefer dinner out each evening sampling area restaurants or catered meals on site? What are your recreational interests? If you could plan your vaction what would it be?

Dan

This sounds absolutely amazing! Yes, I'd be up for "adult summer camp!" I think it's a really good idea...lets folks try out a variety of activities in the company of people who may face the same challenges and/or who can provide some "voice of experience" tips for success.

I'm not exactly "Ms Adventurer" (never have been), but I really used to enjoy hiking/nature photography, boating, biking, and wildlife sighting...have always wondered about kayaking, too, but have not tried it.

Dan, please keep us posted as the plans progress!

This sounds absolutely amazing! Yes, I'd be up for "adult summer camp!" I think it's a really good idea...lets folks try out a variety of activities in the company of people who may face the same challenges and/or who can provide some "voice of experience" tips for success.

I'm not exactly "Ms Adventurer" (never have been), but I really used to enjoy hiking/nature photography, boating, biking, and wildlife sighting...have always wondered about kayaking, too, but have not tried it.

Dan, please keep us posted as the plans progress!

Thanks Cheryl, I have done alot of programs wih childern and have for a long time wanted to do the same with adults and take it beyond cycling tours. I firmly beliveve that just because you have a disability does not mean you cannot return to the things you loved before. Granted it might be done a bit different but so what? I will keep you posted as to the program.

Dan

Sounds like a phenomonal idea Dan. It works for military personnel so why not us. The fear of failure is taken away when trying something with others who are "like you". I would definitely be interested.

Hi,

It sounds like a great idea. I once did (not so long ago, but prior to limb loss) and Outward Bound program and I would love to do something like that with a ropes course adapted as need be, rock (or wall) climbing, camp fires. I would like to go out and eat maybe the last night, but I think it would be more fun to get to know each other in a relaxed way with dinner at the camp. I would want to see adequate lighting so we are not wandering around in the dark trying not to trip as we go to bed.

Keep me posted.

Peace, Beth Marie

Sounds very interesting. Keep us posted.