Heather Mills - Amputee Forum

Howdy all :biggrin:

After reading Dan's post about the camp for adults and doing all the great outdoor stuff, just wondering if anyone out there has this knee?

The XT-9 is being labeled as the outdoor and extreme sports knee to get. It returns energy by way of the spring that it basically is.

Check it out and hope to hear from those that have it.

www.XT-9.com

Howdy all :biggrin:

After reading Dan's post about the camp for adults and doing all the great outdoor stuff, just wondering if anyone out there has this knee?

The XT-9 is being labeled as the outdoor and extreme sports knee to get. It returns energy by way of the spring that it basically is.

Check it out and hope to hear from those that have it.

www.XT-9.com

If you are an extreme athlete then YES it is all that! but it is NOT an everyday use knee, you'd need an everyday walker leg too.

"The XT9 Energy Storing Prosthetic Knee is different then any other knee on the market because it was designed specifically to fill the gap that great walking/running knees leave behind. The XT9 ESPK works well for dynamic energy storing and return during flexion and extension of the knee in an athletic stance -such as on a board- and for shock absorbing -during skiing and other activities.

The XT9 is a specialized sporting knee. Just as ski boots allow the user to ski in a way they never could with normal shoes, but doesn't work well for normal activities itself, the XT9 allows the user to do things they never could with a general purpose knee but does not work well for general purposes itself. " ---taken from the xt-9 web site.

Apparently this knee is too stiff to flex when walking and will stay in an extended position unless enough force is pushed through it so i expect it would be a bit awkward for walking on. Its principle is simple - based on a hinge and a mountain bike shock. Looks cool tho

I've met a few XT-9 users in person. It definitely isn't for walking-any at all. However, where it does shine and does do it's job is in sport activities such as skiing, snowboarding, skating- basically activities that require you to stand and move on flexed knees(crouched position). I think for the price- it's a good piece of gear for those that make use of it. If i remember correctly, i think they go for @ $3,500-relatively cheap for a prosthethetic. Check out the website for Adaptive Action Sports. I think you'll be able to find videos of it in action. If you see anyone (AK) participating on a prosthesis, i think it's a safe bet they are using the XT-9. I don't think they have much competition in the market. There is a downhill mountain biker-name escapes me, of course, that developed a similar knee, but uses an external tendon setup instead of the spring. Try a web search "prosthetic knee tendon"-i think you'll find him pretty quickly that way. Haven't run across any users of that knee.