Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Systematic Chaos

Update from Me in Kansas

Well, this is my first day home from the surgery. I had a Below the knee done on July 1st. Went into rehab July 3rd and am home from rehab today. Doing awesome!!! Worried a little about being home by myself and doing things but I'm not rushing and taking my time. So far so good!

Taking things slowly is the key to a good recovery. I'm sorry that you're alone. I don't know what I would have done without my mom and wife during my recovery. Made things a whole lot easier.

If you perfect hopping or crutching while carrying a mug of coffee, let me know. I never could get the hang of that without leaving a trail behind me. LOL

Taking things slowly is the key to a good recovery. I'm sorry that you're alone. I don't know what I would have done without my mom and wife during my recovery. Made things a whole lot easier.

If you perfect hopping or crutching while carrying a mug of coffee, let me know. I never could get the hang of that without leaving a trail behind me. LOL

Sorry, I didn't mean to give the impression that I was alone. I only meant while the wifes at work. I'm doing so much better then I expected. I had a lot of fear going into it but feel really good about it all now. I'd have to say I'd do it again if need be.

Glad to hear you're doing well! I know that I found that I did a lot better than I expected, and that surprised me as I am a well-known klutz. (I never even TRIED to hop or crutch with a cup of coffee!)

I actually WAS alone once I was discharged from rehab. I had some help from friends who would run errands for me, and I signed myself up for a local "disabled transport" service, because I was also temporarily blind in the months before getting my first prosthesis. I couldn't afford to hire a "regular" caregiver, but I made too much (even while on disability pay) to qualify for assistance. That was where my friends came in...they did a fantastic job, and they also helped me find a young woman who was studying to get her nursing assistant certification and who was willing to come work for me for just a couple of hours, three days per week. She'd help me count out my meds, do some light housekeeping, and "chaperone" my showers. When I finally got my new leg, but not my vision back, she'd guide me on walks outside so I could start building my strength. Once my vision finally cleared, I was at a point where I could go back to work.

I think my story goes to show just how resilient we can be when faced with a serious problem. :smile: And sometimes that surprises us!