Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Shane

Lightening strikes twice...or

What happenin', all?

I haven't been around much in quite some time, though i have checked in from time to time. Lots of new "faces" here, so maybe i should do a quick update on the past year or so that i've been near absent from the internet. Those that know me know that i have no problem discussing any topic you may ask about, so feel free. But here's the list of dominating factors, in no particular order...

doctors, knee injury, counselor, X Games XIV, anger, torn achilles, nueropsychologist, severe ADD diagnosis, severe stump injury, Pandora's box, Extremity Games, severe depression, meds, walkabout, dirt bikes, X Games, and trying like heck to get every healthcare "professional" i come across to simply do their job.

I'm sure most of you can identify with some of these and maybe not others. Needless to say, the ol' suitcase is heavy.

So, that's the briefest update i can come up with that may give you a clearer picture of my past year or so. I mention these things for connection purposes, 'cause what's ahead may give folks a different impression.

Last year, I was lucky enough to be on of 10 folks invited to participate in a trial running of a new Adaptive Supercross class at X games XIV in Los Angeles, CA. Disablities in the class ranged from single BKs to parapalegics. All racing motocross bikes. In the end, I placed 6th, riding with a fractured ulna. The Adaptive event ended up not being televised, due to time restrictions.

So, we've all been waiting to see if ESPN liked what they saw-enough to do it again. Well, turns out they DID! So a qualifier was organized as part of the Extremity Games in Michigan. I got bucked off my bike in practice @ 2 weeks before the qualifier- torn MCL, jammed stump into ground at high speed, hard enough to break a bone fragment off my femur. My knee has been without an ACL since amputation- so i didn't go to Michigan and gave up hopes of returning to X Games.

This past monday (2 days after the qualifier) I got a call from Daniel with Adaptive Action Sports/ESPN. Turns out, I made the VERY short list of hand picked racers to return. WOW!!! Without even attending the qualifier!

So, next saturday, My wife, Son, the neighbor under my wing, and i will pile into the ol' '94 Eldorado, bike in tow, and head out on the 3 day journey to LA. The travel arrangements are definitely not ideal, but it's what I've got. My box truck gets 8 mpg, the Eldo' gets 14 pulling my bike. Still looking at around $1,000 in gas alone. I've got $26 to my name- but that's a start- right?! :biggrin:

I'll have to close for now, but I'll be around alot more.

BTW, you'll be able to watch the race live on ESPN @ 5:30pm Pacific on July 31. Event name- MotoX SuperX Adaptive

Great to hear from you. Going to put it on the calendar. Lots of luck, Shane. I know you'll have fun. BTW, weren't you working? Have been wondering what's up.

Awesome Shane....I look forward to trying to get a chance to watch them.. It's going on my calendar right now..Well Done!!!!!!!!

Good to hear from you, Shane! Let's see... last year at this time, I got rear-ended on the day of your competition and didn't manage to make it out to watch you. Are you going to be at the Home Depot Center again this year? I still want to be there!

Sounds like your life has been full of "experiences"...........

Hi, Marcia :biggrin:

You're right. I did go back to work for about 9 months. Basicly, physical and mental issues had really stacked up to the point i spent all day faking it. My crappy lawyer called one day and informed me that i had been approved for disability, but i couldn't keep the job. I had spent the last 3 months working from a wheel chair in a one-person office, butt-crawling to load/unload my chair from the trunk of my car. So, long story short, I'm now on disability.

Hey Cheryl! :biggrin:

Yeah, yeah, yeah. The ol' "got rearended on the way to see amps at X Games" line. Heard it a million times. :laugh:

Yes, Home De Pot Center. July 31, around 5:30pm. I'd love to see you there!

If you are there more than one day, we'll also get a couple of 20 minute practice sessions. Definitely holler, and we'll make our paths cross.

That's awesome Shane!

Good luck in the MotoX. I'll definately am looking forward to watching.

Thanks for the reply on the xt-9.

Shane, what you have accomplished is fantastic! I am another one that has marked it down on my calendar!!! We will all be cheering you on! :biggrin:

Thanks! :biggrin:

In process of changing out plastic (bodypanels) and graphics on my bike and prepping. I'll get some pics posted in a couple days.

Wassup, Neal!!

Glad to see your update Shane. I was very excited to get your email about your upcoming Xgames event and can't wait to watch. Keep hanging in there, persistence is half the battle. I plan on sharing your story with my local amputee friends so they can watch you, too. Good luck!

I believe that today is the day for Shane's race and the show on ESPN. I'll let everyone figure out what time it will be shown in your area. I'm still trying to figure out my time.

Everyone watch and support Shane.

Hope everyone got to see Shane's race! I got to see it IN PERSON! Yes, our buddy is real, he's a little nuts, and he's an extremely nice guy. :smile:

We met up at Guest Services at the Home Depot Center, Shane's headquarters for X Games Weekend. He had a "guest" credential for me, so I got a real "backstage look" at what being an X Games competitor was like. (I also felt like everyone else's mother or grandmother!)

I didn't get to meet Cassie -- she had a family emergency and had to stay behind. But Shane's son is an extremely cool kid! Very much in the mold of his father.

You guys should know that Shane was racing with a seriously messed-up knee. The guy actually apologized to me for that! "I'm not going to finish well today...I'm just going to sit the seat and ride..." He injured his knee in his very first practice session, the day before. But he wrapped the knee and strapped on a brace, and he finished the race. He said it was worth it to be in the X Games.

Friday was "adapted sports day" so there were a good number of challenged athletes there. Quite heartwarming to see these kids out doing what they loved to do, challenges-be-damned! :biggrin:

Pics should follow in a few days.........

Thank you, Shane, for a really memorable experience! I hope we get to meet up again sometime!

You're very welcome, Cheryl! :biggrin:

I hope some of you got to check it out. If not, I'm sure there will be some replays for a week or so. I'm recovering from the long drive home, 30 hours, and plan on quite a bit of couch time for what's left of the day.

Cheryl, It was awesome to get to meet you and the fact that you enjoyed yourself is the greatest compliment. Maybe lightening will strike thrice, but with us both in walking condition! :laugh::glare:

Got to watch it on Friday Shane.. It was good.. I wish that they would of spent just a bit more time on it than they did though..

You guys all go out and push it and that's what counts!!! YAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Job.... Hope things are healing fine.....