Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mary Farquhar

I NEED ADVICE!!!!

Hi All!!

I will be seeing a new orthopaedic in August. I still have the same problem.....if any of you remember I have a chopart

amputation, a partial amputation of my right foot. It's been 2 years since I have been off work and just in the last 4 months things have got worse. Can't walk on it for long period of time. Anyways my story is on here!! LOL...

So, I have just seen another plastic surgeon and he tells me the same thing as my regular platic Dr. Anyways, went back to see my rehab Dr and referred me to see a new orthopaedic as the first one tells me to see the plastic......no one wants to do anything. I have no clue if it's the bone or skin?! The plastics tell me it's a bone issue and orthopaedic"s tell me to see the plastics....can't believe this!!!

So...I go in August to see this new orthopaedic Dr and I'm to bring another x-ray, my last ones showed nothing as did an MRI I did 2 yrs. ago.

I'm not giving up yet but if he thinks theres not much else I can do but amputate higher then I will take that into consideration. Every time I do think about this I tear up. BUT it might only be the way to have a second chance for a real life?! The thing is my rehab Dr has said I should get a symes amputation and I don't agree. I'm thinking more of a below the knee. IF this is what it will come down too. I'm definately not going to make any decisions right away as only want information right now.

I'm just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what kind of questions to ask this orthopaedic Dr about amputating more? I ave read a lot of stories on here and I'm wondering why some people get phantom pain and other's don't. I have never had any and I'm scared that if I do a revision that I will have phantom pain.

Mary

Hi Mary....

I can't really say anything about a chopart amputation as I have never been in that situation, but, maybe, instead of setting out there wondering what to do and having all of these questions, I can help you address a few of them...

First off, phantom pain....

My foot was severed, and re-attached, and then amputated.. I do have phantom pain..sometimes. But, one thing I have learned from the forum is how pain control before your amputation (if you decide to have it) can help. They say, that if you have an epidural put in before surgery to help control the pain post op that it helps prevent phantom pain.. Some say it worked excellently.. As for me, if you are now wondering, I didn't have one, but I had suffered multiple injuries in my accident, and the amputation was only a small part. I have learned to live with ( and even sort of believe in) my phantom pain. I know that if a rain is coming, I have them. For me, they are not intolerable. I can and do manage.

As for if you should or should not have a full amputation, I guess that is a decision between you and your doc.. I understand that a full below knee has a better chance of getting prosthetics can make them more functional in their day to day life.. I have heard that prosthetics for a symes can be rather limited..That is as far as I really feel comfortable in going about the difference between a symes and a bk..However, I do have friends that are symes amps and a couple of them are right here on the forum.. Cat, and AmySkyDvr. You might pm one of them if you have questions, or just ask here on the forum, one of them may answer as soon as they check the forum.

Sorry to hear that you are having a rough time...... :sad:

Hi Mary....

I can't really say anything about a chopart amputation as I have never been in that situation, but, maybe, instead of setting out there wondering what to do and having all of these questions, I can help you address a few of them...

First off, phantom pain....

My foot was severed, and re-attached, and then amputated.. I do have phantom pain..sometimes. But, one thing I have learned from the forum is how pain control before your amputation (if you decide to have it) can help. They say, that if you have an epidural put in before surgery to help control the pain post op that it helps prevent phantom pain.. Some say it worked excellently.. As for me, if you are now wondering, I didn't have one, but I had suffered multiple injuries in my accident, and the amputation was only a small part. I have learned to live with ( and even sort of believe in) my phantom pain. I know that if a rain is coming, I have them. For me, they are not intolerable. I can and do manage.

As for if you should or should not have a full amputation, I guess that is a decision between you and your doc.. I understand that a full below knee has a better chance of getting prosthetics can make them more functional in their day to day life.. I have heard that prosthetics for a symes can be rather limited..That is as far as I really feel comfortable in going about the difference between a symes and a bk..However, I do have friends that are symes amps and a couple of them are right here on the forum.. Cat, and AmySkyDvr. You might pm one of them if you have questions, or just ask here on the forum, one of them may answer as soon as they check the forum.

Sorry to hear that you are having a rough time...... :sad:

Hi Higgy!

I have never heard of that....having an epidural put in before the surgery. After my surgery ( amputation ) I never had much pain. The Dr's were wondering why I didn't have much pain? I also never had any phantom pain. After I was walking again and just got on with life. Never even thought of myself as an amputee until now. Having these problems brought up a lot of stuff for me. I have definately learned many lessons in these last 2 years. Actually my whole amputation has been a lesson. ANYWAYS.....I'm not giving up yet as I woould like a diagnosis from my problem at the moment but I may never get one?!

Thanks Higgy!!

I never had the epidural either, Mary. But, I know a couple of people who had it done..It is supposed to help with pain control, and supposedly, that is why people have phantom pain.. the brain remembering the pain that you had.. However, if that is the case, why do mine increase when a rain is coming?( I've been told that is the change in barometric pressure, which I tend to believe) I had a severed foot that was re-attached and then a few days later, amputated.. I didn't have much of any pain from the amputation, until about 3 weeks later during the healing..Had quite a bit after I fell on the end of my stump the first day home from the hospital..My hubby tells me that I had a lot of pain in the ICU and that I would seldom use the morphine pump as the morphine hurt going in my hand.. Apparently, I had a conversation with the doc about the amputation, and if it would quit hurting if they removed the foot.. I don't remember it but Hubby said it was a quite good , detailed conversation..they tell that is the brain injury.....oh well..

Are you having a lot of pain now?

I never had the epidural either, Mary. But, I know a couple of people who had it done..It is supposed to help with pain control, and supposedly, that is why people have phantom pain.. the brain remembering the pain that you had.. However, if that is the case, why do mine increase when a rain is coming?( I've been told that is the change in barometric pressure, which I tend to believe) I had a severed foot that was re-attached and then a few days later, amputated.. I didn't have much of any pain from the amputation, until about 3 weeks later during the healing..Had quite a bit after I fell on the end of my stump the first day home from the hospital..My hubby tells me that I had a lot of pain in the ICU and that I would seldom use the morphine pump as the morphine hurt going in my hand.. Apparently, I had a conversation with the doc about the amputation, and if it would quit hurting if they removed the foot.. I don't remember it but Hubby said it was a quite good , detailed conversation..they tell that is the brain injury.....oh well..

Are you having a lot of pain now?

I have never had phantom pain. Even after surgery to amputate part of my foot, never experienced any pain. The Dr's and nurses were a bit concerned about that. LOL.....

Right now I have some pain....can't even describe it. Not a bad pain. Each day is different, that's what's so strange about this! About 2 days ago now I had more pain then usual....stayed home all day and tried to keep off my foot. I can still walk with no prothesis cause I have my heel still.

I would like to get a diagnosis before deciding to amputate more....but will i really ever get one? Not the way these Dr's are with me. They don't seem to care and just send me off to another Dr. Very frustrating!!

Mary

The peer visitor at my amputee shop told me she struggled for years with a torn up ankle from a motorcycle accident. The pain was intolerable and she coudn't always put her weight on her foot. She finally opted for amputation below the knee. She told me that once she put her prosthesis on, she veryquickly walked and has never had a problem. She is a single mother of two girls and works. I'm in awe at how easily she gets around. She said it was a great decision for her. Good Luck