Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Stagger Lee

Checking back in

Sorry folks, I've been seriously scarce since they started me back to work. It only took almost three years, despite being medically cleared by MY doctors TWO years ago.

I've spent most of the last three and a half months sitting behind a desk in an administrative office with no actual job to do. My "duties" there consisted of showing up in the morning, catching a nap until someone else arrived, then going out to run for a bit. (And I logged 102.5 miles in three months, basically just running to get out of there.)

after running, I'd shower, then play on the internet until lunch. After lunch, I would play on the internet some more until it was close enough to quitting time that I could just slip out and leave. Every now and again, I would be assigned strenuous tasks, such as putting more paper in the copier, answering the phone if, by odd chance, it actually rang into my cubicle, and--my favorite--going down two flights of stairs and carrying up new jugs of water for the water cooler so that none of the people who actually have two legs would be troubled.

But all of that changed again a month ago. After a complaint from me to my latest medical claims examiner, he made some calls and suddenly I was notified to begin actual training. (This was to start just prior to the Atlanta convention, resulting in my leave request to attend being denied. But then my grandmother passed away that same week-end and one of the brass who'd denied my leave decided that I was pulling somer sort of scam when I used family leave to go to the funeral (Would have had to leave the convention anyway...) and tried to nail me on that. But since I was able to prove that I did have a grandmother, that she did die, and that I did not kill her myself just to get the leave time, that eventually blew over and I began training anew. As I write this, I am still tired from spending most of a day running up and down hallways and stairwells clearing buildings of fake bad guys (alas, bad guys with guns that shoot real paint bullets when encountered--OW!) This after a week of self-defense and fighting techniques in which I showed more than one person that a prosthetic leg is impervious to pain but quite handy for administering it. One more day of building clearing, and then I get to spend most of next week re-qualifying on all of the nice weapons that they took away from me when I got hurt, plus a new pistol that I seriously do not want because I like my old one so much. Following that, I spend a week-end scuba diving with AmySkydiver and then I return to finish my training, hopefully in time to qualify for the next round of promotions since I'm arguably eligible and quite high on the list.

Much fun, but little time to be on here, particularly since the work computers won't let me access this forum.

So what'd I miss?

Welcome back Ross. Sounds like you've been a very busy guy. Sorry to hear about your Grandmother.

Keep the capitol safe.

Neal

Welcome back Ross. Sounds like you've been a very busy guy. Sorry to hear about your Grandmother.

Keep the capitol safe.

Neal

Thanks, Neal.

Oh, and screw the Capitol. There's already 1500 Capitol Police watching the building. I'll just handle the rest of the greater DC area.

Spent most of today practicing tactics in an old, unused hospital building with no air conditioning. Much shooting with Simunitions, which are like paintball but they fire from actual firearms and hurt much more when they hit, IMHO.

The biggest argument of the day revolved around whether or not a "hit" to my prosthetic leg counted or not. I claimed that since it doesn't hurt and won't affect my performance, it should just be a freebie and I should be allowed to continue engaging bad guys. Training staff mulled it for a bit and decided that even though it's only a plastic leg, a bullet hit there still counts for training purposes. Darn it. :tongue:

I tell ya, those guys have no sense of humor do they..... I agree it should be a freebie.....as long as a real bullet wouldn't break anything on it's way through....It's not fun when your leg breaks..been there, done that, and it's a sound that I will never forget.. Matter of fact, I heard in the exhibit hall in 08 at the conference, and turning my head, saw the guy go down. Since I knew what exhibit that he was working at, I went and got his friend to go get his second leg.

I'm sorry to hear that they are still hassling you, but it sounds like things have turned your way..Nice to know that you will be back out on the streets soon.... Many area's need officers with your dedication......

Tell Amy that Jon and I miss her smiling face...

It's all good. I showed 'em that I could take the worst of what they had to offer, out-performing several of them as we ran up and down stairs in this hot, dusty building all week. Admittedly, my leg got pretty sore from all of the stair descents (going up is never a problem but the jarring impact of going down does get noticeable after a while) but I tried not to let them know. I'd also learned from my running that I need to keep hydrated otherwise my leg will shrink a bit and start to take damage from the fit not being tight enough, so I drank a ton of water throughout the exercises and had no problems with it.

Oh, and I can kick doors in like nobody's business! :laugh:

Go give 'em h**l Stagger. You still got it, they just don't know it. :wink:

First of all, I am sorry to hear about your Grandmother. Second of all- hell yes,they know how good you are!!! You should be so proud of yourself and your leg is indeed a weapon in itself! I wish I had your prosthetist, seems to me like your leg has an excellent fit. Kicking doors down...that's great.

Only one word for how you are doing...awesome....Hope you and Amy have a great time. Take care out there.

I'm so envious of what you can do. Just don't give the rest of us a bad name :wink::wink:

"don't give the rest of us a bad name".... by that I meant that most of us can't do what he's doing...