Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Hoggett

Help! Losing vacumn - Ottobock system

Hello,

I'm a Bi-lateral Below Knee Amputee, using Ottobock Vacumn legs, my problem is that I am not keeping my suction, if I do a qucik walk on the spot the vacumn builds up straight away but once I stop the I lose it all, has anyone any tips to solve this please?

I have recently had a replacement blue sleeve ( I don't know what you call them) on one leg but it still doesn't seem to be working right, the other leg the blue sleeve is starting to wear so I will be getting that one replaced when I go to the leg place on the 3rd Aug.

I've only had these legs for about a month and I think they are great legs if only they would work right :-(

Thanks for any input you can give me.

btw, my legs have a valve on the back of the l

Ian

If you are donning your vac system correctly then it's time for your Prosthetist to figure out where the leak is coming from. It may very well be that your new sleeve is defective. If I were you I would request they put you in an OttoBock ProFlex Sleeve. They take a licking and keep on ticking. Seriously though, it is a very durable sleeve and may very well be the best one on the market.

If you are donning your vac system correctly then it's time for your Prosthetist to figure out where the leak is coming from. It may very well be that your new sleeve is defective. If I were you I would request they put you in an OttoBock ProFlex Sleeve. They take a licking and keep on ticking. Seriously though, it is a very durable sleeve and may very well be the best one on the market.

Thank you for the tip, I will ask them for two Proflex sleeves. I am new to this system, I used to use the cuff strap before I got these.

Regards

Ian

I agree, the Proflex sleeves will help. I use the Harmony system and wouldn't use anything else because I love the security and comfort. Another thing to try would be to take the sleeve off and try to find the hole, if there is one. It will be very small. If you do find it, try putting superglue or fabric tape over it. This could help keep you in vacuum until you go see your leg guy. Another thing is that if you are not getting a good seal at the top of the sleeve on your leg, try putting a little bit of lotion around the top, just about an inch in width so the sleeve can get a better seal.

Something else to do if your leg guy is willing to work with you. Have him/her make a carbon fiber cover for your socket. I have one that snaps onto the socket after I have the sleeve on. This has saved me a ton of times.

Good luck.

-Stubby

Hi Ian,

I had problems with vacuum leaks too. I finally got some 2" wide microfoam tape from 3m. I then wrapped the tape around the top of my prosthesis where it had sharp edges and it worked. I normally get holes in my sleeve from kneeling such as gardening, scrubbing floors, etc. I seemed to prevent getting pinholes in it. Ask your leg man about that. Jerry

Hello,

I'm a Bi-lateral Below Knee Amputee, using Ottobock Vacumn legs, my problem is that I am not keeping my suction, if I do a qucik walk on the spot the vacumn builds up straight away but once I stop the I lose it all, has anyone any tips to solve this please?

I have recently had a replacement blue sleeve ( I don't know what you call them) on one leg but it still doesn't seem to be working right, the other leg the blue sleeve is starting to wear so I will be getting that one replaced when I go to the leg place on the 3rd Aug.

I've only had these legs for about a month and I think they are great legs if only they would work right :-(

Thanks for any input you can give me.

btw, my legs have a valve on the back of the l

Ian

What kind of vacuum system of Otto Bock do you use? I am a LBK and use the Harmoney E-Pulse and I love it. I use a custom made liner for this system.

Ed

Hello Stubby,

Thanks for the tip about the cream, it works great :smile:

Hi Ed,

To be honest I don't know what type I have, it is simple a one way valve inserted into the back of the socket, when I don it and walk a few steps it creates the vacumn. I think it might be a ad hoc type of system.

another problem I am getting is on my left knee, the tek liner seems to be causing friction on the top of me knee, has this happened to anyone else, I'm having to wear a thin dressing to protect my skin (I've nearly got a break down)

Regards

Ian