Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Anthonys mom

Question for AK

Hi All,

Hopefully I can explain this right...I am a NEW Right AK and I just got my leg on Wed. I didn't get a prepatory leg so this is the VERY first leg I have ever had and walked on. I have the Rheo knee which I feel EXTREMELY comfortable in. The problem I think is with the socket. When I wait bear on the leg I feel all my weight sitting on my crotch area. It's kind of in the front in the crease of my leg and I guess it would be my pubic bone. My prosthetist has lowered the socket in that area so I am not sure if it hurts still because before the the socket was lowered I hurt that bone or if I am still resting too much weight on it or MAYBE I am suppose to feel that and I just need to get used to it. HAHA So I guess if anyone can understand what I am talking about and you have any suggestions please let me know...it is slowing me down from walking because I have so much pressure there----THANKS Sorry for the not so clear post! :)

Cari

Hi All,

Hopefully I can explain this right...I am a NEW Right AK and I just got my leg on Wed. I didn't get a prepatory leg so this is the VERY first leg I have ever had and walked on. I have the Rheo knee which I feel EXTREMELY comfortable in. The problem I think is with the socket. When I wait bear on the leg I feel all my weight sitting on my crotch area. It's kind of in the front in the crease of my leg and I guess it would be my pubic bone. My prosthetist has lowered the socket in that area so I am not sure if it hurts still because before the the socket was lowered I hurt that bone or if I am still resting too much weight on it or MAYBE I am suppose to feel that and I just need to get used to it. HAHA So I guess if anyone can understand what I am talking about and you have any suggestions please let me know...it is slowing me down from walking because I have so much pressure there----THANKS Sorry for the not so clear post! :)

Cari

I am also a right AK but only a little bit "older" than you . Although I haven't got much experience on prosthetic units except ,may be for the C-leg on which I 've been for some time now , I 've heard that the Rhio Knee is a quite good knee.

I assume you have the ischial containment socket design and I think you're right - the socket is a thing that always is the case. I've had the same problem with an excessive pressure on my ramus area . I think If lowering the brim of your ramus area didn't help to eliminate that pressure it might be that the line of progression at lowest medial wall ( at your crotch) should either be curved more from soft tissue to proximal or the brim of that wall should be rounded off appropriately to create a natural "curve". Eventually if this doesn't help to get rid of this pressure you may need to flare out this wall a bit.

Also think if you're "captured" around your tuberosity point appropriately so that your ischial point is exactly "cupped" in iscial hollow of your socket.

But you need to discuss this all with your leg man of course. The socket MUST be comfortable in all places so that you can focus only on your gait pattern instead of "protecting" yourself from pain .

Hope this was of some help to you.

Good luck Anthony's mum . :biggrin:

I am also a right AK but only a little bit "older" than you . Although I haven't got much experience on prosthetic units except ,may be for the C-leg on which I 've been for some time now , I 've heard that the Rhio Knee is a quite good knee.

I assume you have the ischial containment socket design and I think you're right - the socket is a thing that always is the case. I've had the same problem with an excessive pressure on my ramus area . I think If lowering the brim of your ramus area didn't help to eliminate that pressure it might be that the line of progression at lowest medial wall ( at your crotch) should either be curved more from soft tissue to proximal or the brim of that wall should be rounded off appropriately to create a natural "curve". Eventually if this doesn't help to get rid of this pressure you may need to flare out this wall a bit.

Also think if you're "captured" around your tuberosity point appropriately so that your ischial point is exactly "cupped" in iscial hollow of your socket.

But you need to discuss this all with your leg man of course. The socket MUST be comfortable in all places so that you can focus only on your gait pattern instead of "protecting" yourself from pain .

Hope this was of some help to you.

Good luck Anthony's mum . :biggrin:

Thanks Eldar-I have been working with the prosthetist and he made some adjustments but I think it needs some more..haha I plan to call him on Monday and see if he can look at it again.

Another question I have is the weight of the prosthesis--IT'S HEAVY!! Is this normal? And how in the world do you sit comfortably? I had it on yesterday and tried to sit in a plastic lawn chair and I about died--hahah well I ended up sitting on the edge of the chair so I wasn't sitting on the socket and man that got uncomfortable real quick...i find it extrememly hard to use the restroom as well--the socket hits the toilet or chair before the rest of me does any suggestions to help with that would be greatly appreciated as well! :)

Thanks again!

Cari

Another question I have is the weight of the prosthesis--IT'S HEAVY!! Is this normal? And how in the world do you sit comfortably? I had it on yesterday and tried to sit in a plastic lawn chair and I about died--hahah well I ended up sitting on the edge of the chair so I wasn't sitting on the socket and man that got uncomfortable real quick...i find it extrememly hard to use the restroom as well--the socket hits the toilet or chair before the rest of me does any suggestions to help with that would be greatly appreciated as well! :)

Thanks again!

Cari

You will surely get used to the weight of your leg as time goes by. As for sitting on chairs and using a restroom ( it's uncomfortable indeed :tongue: ) , everyone develops his/her own "techiques" I think but it also the shape of your socket's posterior brims that plays a vital role here. The M.A.S. sockets are thought be very comfortable in this regard I've heard. But as long as you're happy during your ambulation I think sitting could be given a low priority. But this is only my opinion of course. Keep "pestering" your leg guy till you're happy with your socket, there's no other way to do this.

Hang on there and keep up the good work. Everything will be ok .

If your leg feels heavy, then your socket probably doesn't fit? :unsure:

From what you say, it sounds as though you are sinking down into your socket too much (i.e. it's too big for you). You could try adding an extra thin sock, or possibly a band (a piece of a sock that looks like a ring) around your leg (if it's too tight with the extra sock, don't wear it! :ph34r: ).

Hope it helps? :smile:

Cari;

that's great that you finally got the leg. Aaahhhh... I remember the day of the first socket. Yes it was heavy and uncomfortable and really a pain to sit in. Adjustments will be plenty but very necessary. Just keep the dialog open with your leg guy. I drove mine nutts for the first 3 months, but now he knows that I was just voicing my concerns and being new to all this didn't know how to explain exactly what I was feeling. Now we both can talk and explain each other's position and adjustments happen quickly.

Don't overdue it either. Only wear the leg for a little while and keep building up. This is the hardest part but so worth it in the end. The last thing you want to do, is put yourself back a few steps , cuz of blisters or some other bad fit.

I know you'll be running with us soon and keep us posted.

Erik :biggrin:

Hi Cari

I have just read your post and what you describe is exactly how I felt with my first leg. Pain in the crotch, awkward to sit down. Does your leg have a belt or are you in a suction? My first couple of legs were with the tess belt which I hated as it dug into my waist and was really hot and bulky. I remember at the time thinking how horrendous it all was, but you will be surprised how quickly time goes by and as you get different sockets etc how much easier it gets. I am only about 18 months in from my amp and now have a suction socket which is so much better. I wont kid you and tell you that its all plain sailing and that it fits like a glove.......not that would be wrong its meant to fit my leg !!!!.........I still get the same uncomfortable feelings some days but it is getting better. Is it easy for you to get an appointment with your leg guy? Mine is a 4 hour round trip so although I know I shouldnt sometimes I just put up with things.

Anyway, rest assured things will get better.

Take care

Tracy

Eldar mentioned an M.A.S. socket--can you guys tell me what that is? thanks Cari

Eldar mentioned an M.A.S. socket--can you guys tell me what that is? thanks Cari

Cari,

Here is the link where you can read about the M.A.S. socket by Marlo. You can also ask your leg guy what he thinks about it.

It's needless to say that the M.A.S. socket may work brillinatly for many AK amputess but it also may not work for another half of them.

Warm reagrds

Eldar

Cari,

Here is the link where you can read about the M.A.S. socket by Marlo. You can also ask your leg guy what he thinks about it.

It's needless to say that the M.A.S. socket may work brillinatly for many AK amputess but it also may not work for another half of them.

Warm reagrds

Eldar

Thanks Eldar!!

I looked up the M.A.S. socket and have to say I am quite interested. It sounds as though it would be so much more comfortable. Did you say you have one? Does anyone else have one? I will definately talk to my prosthetist tomorrow about it and see what he says. OK and just an informal poll-I guess back to AK's...when your socket was made did they do it by making a cast first?

Thanks again you guys! You are helping me understand things better and now I feel as though I can go in with ideas and real questions instead of sitting there looking as though I am lost. I am sure I will still look as though I am lost but hey at least I will feel better about it hahah!

Cari

Cari, I know of one member here who has a MAS socket...that's Ally. She does not poke her head in here very often, but you could PM her and I'm sure she'd give you her opinions. She's had experience with a number of AK sockets.....

Cari, I know of one member here who has a MAS socket...that's Ally. She does not poke her head in here very often, but you could PM her and I'm sure she'd give you her opinions. She's had experience with a number of AK sockets.....

THANKS Cheryl!!! I will try to PM