Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Madleggs

Seattle Catalyst

Hello all,

I am a LBK and was curious if anyone on here has tried the Seattle Catalyst 9 foot? This is what my leg person has recommended. This is my first leg as I am a new amp, so I have no real experience with different feet. I have had it for about 3 weeks and it still seems really stiff, I can feel some energy return at toe off but not like my leg lady talked about. I did mention to her that I would really like to try out a couple different feet at first to get a sense of what differences there are on the market. She advised against it as she wants me to get stick with one since I am new and learning to walk again(I dont really buy that)

The one foot that really interests me is the Perfect Stride II X3, has anyone used this one?

Any information oropionions that you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

MAD

She's wrong about trying different feet -- you SHOULD try all the feet you are interrested in and pick the one that feels best for you (after all it is your money). It's NO COST for you to try feet, it does make more work for your prosthetist and maybe that's what she is trying to avoid. Also do NOT sign off on your leg untill you are COMPLETELY happy with how it feels and satisfied with all the parts or how it looks for that matter.

I myself use the Pefect Stride and for now believe it's by FAR the best foot on the market for any active (active being the key word here) --BK amputee and many AK's. I currently know 7 other people using the Perfect Stride 2 x3 and ALL of them say it's the best foot they have used to date.

The PS is a great foot. There are lots of great feet. It depends on what you want to put it through. I used a softer foot the first year. I still like that foot for some purposes. I was more adept with being an amputee in general when I was upgraded to the Renegade foot. It is an awesome foot.

Your leggist is wrong. I agree with Tiger. I'm an advocate to trying different feet to see what feels best. Most manufacturers have a 60-90 day return policy. You can try the foot and return it for any reason within that period.

You are only in the infant stages of amputeeism. You will have to train your muscles how to react to your new abbreviated self. The stiffness in the toe is more apparent to you than it would be to one of us who are more used to it. You should bare down as you roll over the toe. This puts the spring into motion and allows the foot to propel you forward. It takes some time to get used to it.

I think a lot of emphasis is put on the hardware to get you walking. In the first couple of years you are best to take something like the catalyst and use it to gain your strength, then you will know better what your limitations are and look at how to improve your walking with a more specialized foot. A good walker can walk on any foot well, it just takes the will in your head to improve, remember the foot doesn't walk for you, you only get back what you put in and in the early stages, you wont be able to put in very much when it comes to the high end feet.

Beware of Prosthetists that don't listen to their clients wishes. Remember you are the customer and the Prosthetist is there to serve your needs. I agree with Tiger. Try as many feet as you feel comfortable with. There is no extra cost to you or your Prosthetist. I also have the PS2 X3 foot and I love it.