Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
BryanBe1069

6 Months Today

I don't know if this an accomplishment or just survival :rolleyes: Today is the 6 month anniversary of my amputation. I feel like I've come a long way, but I still have a long way to go, too. I've been blessed with a great family that has been nothing short of incredible and ultra supportive of me. My doctor, PT, and prosthetist are all very talented. All of them actually listen to me when I have a concern and honestly try to address it. I can't say the same about most of the other medical "professionals" that I've dealt with. I've also been fortunate to meet some of the nicest people...... in person and through this forum. This is a terrible thing to happen to anyone, but everyone that I've met since this happened has made this new life more bareable than it probably should be. I sincerely appreciate anybody who has answered a question or provided moral support.

Bryan

I don't know if this an accomplishment or just survival :rolleyes: Today is the 6 month anniversary of my amputation. I feel like I've come a long way, but I still have a long way to go, too. I've been blessed with a great family that has been nothing short of incredible and ultra supportive of me. My doctor, PT, and prosthetist are all very talented. All of them actually listen to me when I have a concern and honestly try to address it. I can't say the same about most of the other medical "professionals" that I've dealt with. I've also been fortunate to meet some of the nicest people...... in person and through this forum. This is a terrible thing to happen to anyone, but everyone that I've met since this happened has made this new life more bareable than it probably should be. I sincerely appreciate anybody who has answered a question or provided moral support.

Bryan

Bryan,

God bless you man and don't give up in all you do. I'm only a little bit "older" than you . My two years anniversary falls in Jan next year.My lovely wife has been the greatst support for me since I lost my leg. She is my only glowing star and she faded away I think I should check out too.

On the scale of the universe the fact that we lost our limbs is of infinitisimal importance to anyone and to anyting. But it means a lot to us and to our nearest and dearst. There are ups and downs in our life but we have to go on because there's no other alternative for us. Sometimes in the shelter of my mental solitude I got into those moods when I think that life sucks and happiness is transient and fleeting but the fact of the matter is that all people are struggling with the vexation of their every day life regardless whether they are bipeds or monopeds so to speak.

You will be ok I'm sure and just remember that every breath take and every step you make is just a gift because your consciousness is still functioning.

I personally have some problems with my mind because , namely I tend to ponder and ruminate and muse continuously about the meaning of life in general and I know it's pointless but I can't stop doing it. I'm just tired ....

Hang on there buddy and keep posting your thoughts on this great forum.

Eldar

Bryan, I'm so glad you are doing so well. You are still in baby stages so think where you will be in 6 more months or a year from now. It's a journey, that's a fact. Stay positive. That's half the battle.

Can't wait to meet up for lunch one day! :smile:

Bryan,

I used to count the months off when I first got hurt and my leg was amputated..2 months ago today, three months ago today, on and on in my mind until one day, I noticed it was the 10th of the month, and that the 4th (which was the day of the accident, and limb loss) had come and gone and that I hadn't even realized it. That was over 7 years ago now.

I don't think that a person on this forum would dispute the fact that it is something we have all done in one way or another. And by no means, am I diminishing that fact. I think for us, it is a mechanism to be able to cope with our limb loss. A person that used to be on this forum a lot would tell people that it takes baby steps, and that is appropriate. In the beginning the steps are slower, and not as comfortable as they will be later on. She also used to say, keep a journal,(and I wish I had) to look back on months from now, to see how you felt and how you feel now. So different.

It isn't a death sentence that we have been given, but a blessing in disguise. If I would have the chance to have my leg back, and loose all of the people that I have met since then, I would have to refuse. The people that I have met since my amputation, are more compassionate, gutsy, and have more courage and faith, than any one else I know.

It is truly a different life we lead now than it was, but it is SO do-able. We regain most of what we "think" we might of lost, it just takes time.. one step at a time...

Hang in there....have patience... and remember what I think you have already figured out, when God closes a door, he opens a window..

If you stop and think about it, would you of realized all those that are around you, if you still had your limb? More good hearted, compassionate people, than you might never of had reason to meet...

I'm sorry that I didn't get to have a little more time to get acquainted with you in Atlanta.

I agree with Higgy on this one... as we adjust to our "new normal," marking the anniversary date seems to become less important. This past March, I almost (ALMOST) let the date of my surgery pass without notice. It's a pretty good feeling when that happens!

Everything during the first year seems to be magnified, though. Each day, each month, each accomplishment looms as something important. It IS important, because we're basically learning how to live again, in a different way. You sound like you've come a long, long way already, Bryan...and you'll be surprised at just how quickly it all starts to "come along" in the next few months!