Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ann

Swimming Legs

Hi all

I am looking into getting some swimming legs, I am bilateral b/k, and live in the UK so am looking at NHS provision. Just trying to find what options I might have, and what is available generally.

Ann

hi , i have had a swimming leg for 10 years now, wouldnt be without it, its great for the shower, means you don't have to hop around anymore!

used it on the beach but to be honest i dont go on the beach that often now. mine just has the standard foot on it with a neoprene cover on it fits fine no probs. with it at all, the neoprene part can be any colour or design, & the leg its self is the same design as the neoprene cover

hope this hepls

maggie

hi , i have had a swimming leg for 10 years now, wouldnt be without it, its great for the shower, means you don't have to hop around anymore!

used it on the beach but to be honest i dont go on the beach that often now. mine just has the standard foot on it with a neoprene cover on it fits fine no probs. with it at all, the neoprene part can be any colour or design, & the leg its self is the same design as the neoprene cover

hope this hepls

maggie

Thanks Maggie. I am bilateral so no hoping - more crawling. So I have to get a pair made for me. I live surrounded by beaches, so intend to use them both on the beach and in the pool, so a pair would enable me to be more independent in accessing the water.

Who uses here such adaptation for bathing? Write responses please.

www.drycorp.com

Hi Ann,

I am also a dBK,

Just wondering why do you want swimming legs? To actually swim with or just get around the beaches as such.

Have you been swimming since being an amp?

To have NHS provision of swimming legs, I think there is a pretty strict criteria. I personally would want "my budget" (i.e. the amount that my centre spends on my legs) to go towards a pair of comfy, pliable and good everyday legs.

Girly x

Hi Ann,

I am also a dBK,

Just wondering why do you want swimming legs? To actually swim with or just get around the beaches as such.

Have you been swimming since being an amp?

To have NHS provision of swimming legs, I think there is a pretty strict criteria. I personally would want "my budget" (i.e. the amount that my centre spends on my legs) to go towards a pair of comfy, pliable and good everyday legs.

Girly x

Mainly want them to help with the access. Also am not a brilliant swimmer, as became an amp 40 yrs ago when I had only just recently learned to swim, swam in the sea few times which involved leaving my legs way up on the beach and crawling down to the water, which is not ideal - specially if its stoney, and also used to swim with my children in a small pool we used to hire when they were little, which they quickly outgrew. Either way was not brilliant from the access point, always had to access using my knees, the pool was above the ground so involved steps up into it, the swimming pools here not very disabled friendly, if you are a bilateral amp. When I am on the beach would just like to be able to go in the water.

However, have recently seen a bilateral b/k wearing swimming limbs on the TV swimming (properly) in a pool. I am getting on a bit now <grin> and its more difficult having to use my knees, so I thought swimming limbs like I saw on the TV would solve my problems. The everyday legs I have at the moment are fine more or less, not really that high tec, so don't think it will make too much difference there, and, have been told that I can have swimming limbs - just that I am not too sure if they will be the kind I want.

Who uses here such adaptation for bathing? Write responses please.

www.drycorp.com

Hi all

Really nobody used such adaptation? It is on sale in your country.

I think JohnnyV uses Xerosox. I bought one and hated it! I use an old uncovered leg for water, in the pool more as a means of accessibility. I prefer to be in the pool without a leg. When we go out in our boat to the islands I really use it - to get in and out of the boat, walk on the beach, get in the water, etc. It's salt water, so when I get home, I take the foot shell off, get the sand out of it, wash everything off real good and put some WD-40 on the screws.