Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Systematic Chaos

Falling on stump.

How do you know when you've messed it up? I don't have a prosthetic leg yet and was coming up the porch stairs with crutches. Misstepped and fell. I don't think I fell directly on the end of my stump but how do you know if you've messed it up? I'm going to call my DR. who did the surgery monday and mention it to him. Just was curious how do you know what damage if any you did. It's less tender then it was last night.

Thanks

David

How bad it hurts might be the first clue! Within the first month, I fell in the kitchen. Had a HUGE bruise but was otherwise just fine.

How bad it hurts might be the first clue! Within the first month, I fell in the kitchen. Had a HUGE bruise but was otherwise just fine.

On the other hand, I fell on my stump a month after surgery and needed to have a revision surgery. In all it was a 6 month setback. You should have it checked if you are having pain. I knew right away as the pain was significant.

Peter

Hi There,

I knew straight away by the amount of pain, blood and swelling.....it was excruiating! My stump was the first part of my body to hit the wooden floor and the bone punctured through the skin.

I would let your surgeon know about it anyway in case he wants to check you out.

Glad the pain is getting less.

Ouch, Lynne. That sounds perfectly awful.

I fell on my stump the night I came home from the hospital - I went down in the bathroom and slammed my stump into the side of the tub - I called my doctor and he said if it was not bleeding thru ( it had a huge bandage on it) he said to put an ice pack on and come in in the morning.

JudyH

There doesn't seem to be much pain now. I'm calling in the morning just to be safe. I'd rather him know and check it out if he decides to then be in the middle of trying to get a leg working, have complications and mention it then.

Thank you everyone for your replies. :)

I bounced out of my chairs a few years ago and landed directly on the ends of both of mine...............hurt like hell!!

Took about two weeks before I could get a leg back on.....................but I am tough!!!

ED