Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tonya8888

Amputation below the knee it is very short

Hi

At me amputation below the knee it is very short.

I have a problem. The artificial limb very badly keeps.

Tell please if at whom too short amputation what an artificial limb at you and as it fastens to a foot.

I'm not really sure what you're asking, Tonya, but will answer as best I can.

I, too, am a very short below knee, for almost 6 years now. I have only about 2 inches of limb. I am presently in a vacuum system using an Echelon foot. The shorter the residual limb, the less stability you have. My sockets have been built to give me as much stability as possible. Half of my big toe on my sound side was amputated and I also have nerve damage in that foot. So I don't always walk the best but really do quite well.

I don't know how to answer about how the leg fastens to the foot. Perhaps someone else will be able to help you there.

Thanks Mmarie

I probably have badly explained because of bad knowledge of English.

I am a very short below knee I have only about 4-5 centimetres of limb, below knee.

I dress Gel Liner , then an artificial limb, then I dress The EASYSLEEVE the ALPS EasyGel for artificial limb fastening to a foot. But all the same the artificial limb keeps badly and slips. It needs to be tightened constantly.

I would like to learn, how other people having experience with such short amputation deal with this question.

I am fairly short below the knee - about 7cm, and I use Harmony vacuum system. I have no problems with stability when the vacuum system is working correctly.

My understanding is that a pin-lock system or just sleeve system is not going to provide much stability when your limb is that short. I would investigate using one of the vacuum systems on offer (Harmony (manual or electric) or Ohio Willowwood)

Thanks for the answer

I very much limp. To me tell it because at me a short stump below a knee. Also what you think of it?

Besides at me contracture a knee joint 10-15 грaдусов. It means that the knee is not straightened up to the end.

Advise that to me to do how to develop a knee?

Hi, Tonya...

If you have a contracture, that could be a big part of why you limp. Did they give you any exercises to do to help straighten the contracture? I know that when I first lost my leg, I was told to keep my limb elevated with the knee extended straight whenever I was sitting or laying down. I put a pillow on the foot rest on my wheelchair and then raised the footrest out straight in front of me and rested my leg on it. It kept my knee from developing a contracture.

I know Mmarie, and she does have a very short residual limb...just about the same as you have, Tonya. She is being very modest about how well she gets around...she does very well!

I have a fairly long stump, and I've never used a vacuum system for my artificial limb, but it sounds like a vacuum system may work better for a very short stump. Is there any way you could try a vacuum suspension?

Thanks for the answer

It is good idea exercise with a small bench. I will necessarily try. I place from above a knee heavy sacks with salt and thus there is very strong pressure. Preliminary I grease with warming ointment. It is all that to me have told to do. But I understand that it a little.

Many good responses about Harmony vacuum system and me speak that for very short residual member it approaches. But at us in the country at the expense of the insurance do very cheap and very bad artificial limbs. For the money it is very expensive and we do not have good experts in the field of prosthetics because the state gives attention to invalids a little and does not prepare experts in this area.

:biggrin: I still have not made a good artificial limb.I do not love the country - the state is indifferent to destiny of invalids.