Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Tracybuz

Is this a weird question?

Hi all. This may be a weird question but here goes........what does your stump (horrible word !!) look like?

I am an above knee and my amputated side seems to be quite 'flabby' for wont of a better word.

I do various clenching and lifting exercises and can contract the muscle at the front but this doesn't seem to be making much difference. Also the back and inside of my thigh are really wobbly and my bum cheek seems to be smaller than the other side!

I have been swimming a few times....would this make much difference if i did it more regularly? Also tried a static exercise bike but after a few peddles my leg fell off !!!! Am still having fitting problems so biking is maybe something I can try again when I get my socket sorted.

Any thoughts or tips would be great.

Thanks

Hi all. This may be a weird question but here goes........what does your stump (horrible word !!) look like?

I am an above knee and my amputated side seems to be quite 'flabby' for wont of a better word.

I do various clenching and lifting exercises and can contract the muscle at the front but this doesn't seem to be making much difference. Also the back and inside of my thigh are really wobbly and my bum cheek seems to be smaller than the other side!

I have been swimming a few times....would this make much difference if i did it more regularly? Also tried a static exercise bike but after a few peddles my leg fell off !!!! Am still having fitting problems so biking is maybe something I can try again when I get my socket sorted.

Any thoughts or tips would be great.

Thanks

Tracy, I agree with you about the word Stump....me ? I will never use that word....it's my leg now as it was before. Mine looks like my calf muscle....then it stops. It has a scar on the bottom where it was stitched...that was on the front of my leg when it was first done...now it has moved down. Otherwise it looks just like my other leg. Ah, I forgot something, it is about half the size as my other calf muscle. I would imagine your "bum" cheek is smaller; same principal applies whether it's below or above the knee.

Do you use vacuum or can you use the pin system? :smile:

I'm a BK... LOTS of muscle atrophy on my stump. (Yeah... I'm one who doesn't mind that word.) It's about 2/3 the size of my calf muscle on my sound leg, and it still has quite a bit of "flabby" tissue at the end, although that has slowly been disappearing. My thigh is also slightly smaller on the stump side, mostly down near my knee.

I've never found anything that helps "firm things up" to any degree, I'm afraid..............

forgive me as I'm not going to get the terms correct. My young daughter is a RAK. In June I attended a session at the ACA conference and one of the speakers was speaking and mentioned something that really struck me but I did not understand all of it but it was along these lines: It had to do with the fact that since you do not tend to really use the muscles within the socket, most individuals will have a good bit of muscle atrophy, and therefore will also have a lot less bone mass/density over time. In my daughters case, this should be even moreso, as hers is due to a congenital anomoly, she has fused bones in her leg, therefore muscles that move even less; so I really wonder what will happen decades down the road.

Therefore, he advocated for finding ways to work these muscles daily, ??? isometric excercises ????, maybe a TENS (??) unit to train you to contract your muscles (again this is where I am foggy on the terms), as increased muscle mass, increased bone density is favorable for socket fitting, less chance of fractures, etc. Of course, I'm left wondering how to get my young daughter how to do this.

Any thoughts, ideas? Hope you see how this ties into this thread.

Tracy, I agree with you about the word Stump....me ? I will never use that word....it's my leg now as it was before. Mine looks like my calf muscle....then it stops. It has a scar on the bottom where it was stitched...that was on the front of my leg when it was first done...now it has moved down. Otherwise it looks just like my other leg. Ah, I forgot something, it is about half the size as my other calf muscle. I would imagine your "bum" cheek is smaller; same principal applies whether it's below or above the knee.

Do you use vacuum or can you use the pin system? :smile:

Yes I am now in a suction socket......sometimes really comfortable.....sometimes like today so uncomfortable I want to throw it out the window!! I never realised what a long process it is !

My scar is at the back.

Hi Tracy,

my stump (I use this word because my leg has gone and what rested is really a stump.I don't like the pseudo-cientific word of " residual limb ") is exactly as you describe your stump.Using a pros as LAK + LAE amputee all the day is a must for me.That means an atrophic thigh "wobbling" when you take the pros off and hop around.I think that there is nothing to improve when your stump is all the time without movement within the pros.Get used to it. My arm stump is nearly bone and a little bit of flesh and I nearly don't use a prosthetic arm as it does not help anyway but only hangs like a dead weight on my left side.As the amputation was 25 years ago you nearly don't see the scar with the stitches ,only a small white line.Anyhow,my wife finds me beautiful.

Joachim

LAK + LAE

flabby. I had a strong thigh but that was b4. I have a weird stump due to massive ossification, its wider at bas than hip!

It's healthy though and wear prosthetic all day.

If the moderators allow. am happy to post pictures (not ssen any on the site)

Hi everyone,

Haven't been here for a while but I saw this thread and thought it was an interesting question.

I am an HD amputee, so I don't really have much of a stump. It is crescent shaped and sort of looks like a half of a stombolli, all puffy in the middle and neatly tucked under around the edges. That the best I can do! LOL! :rolleyes:

i think pics would be better lol

im a right aka

my stump is weird looking and the tipp looks like a butt crack hahahahaha...........but its a sexy butt crack if i do say so, and i do :wink:

most of it is skin graft, most of the muscle is missing and what is my skin is somewhat flabby, but its gotten better. ive been exercising those muscles and have toned them up alot compared what they used to be, but still they look like a fat grannies flabby arm. lmao ok maybe i exaggerated alittle

I haven't seem many arm amputees on any of the sites I have been on so I thought I would try and let you know what his looks like. (Once the rest of his wounds heal we will get a pic and post it on here but right now I don't think people could take it much lol) Any way he calls his a stump as well someone told us that its what ever we feel comfy calling it. He has about 6 to 8 inches left and they had to actually create a new arm pit so he is not able to move it up and down (Kind of a flapping like a bird motion) much yet. This could be because its still so new though. He says he doesn't feel like there is a lot of muscle there at all and the docs say that may be because of how he lost his arm. His prostetic guy also said this. He did loose a lot of chest muscle as well. I guess I don't have an exact word to discribe it but the stump of his arm does look smaller then his good arm in that area. Hope I didn't confuse anyone.